• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So... What's the Twist? (on the Open World)

Way out of left field, but I was thinking that maybe the game world is more dynamic this time, with different places developing depending on the player's input and decisions, and without them. Say, for example, you've got a Goron settlement and a Zora tribe, and you can choose to help one of them, but not the other. Your decision would impact their development during the game.

Probably not going to happen, but it was an idea that was floating around my head.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The Twist is..... Is that instead of travelling the world, the world travels you. In order to go to each objective, Link walks by himself, on rails, with no exploration. This is to make games easier for braindead people and soccer moms, to keep them happy instead of the core demographic.
-Miyamoto

I didn't realize how people are pissed about modern Zelda until now. I disagree, but I disagree with the majority about everything.

My guess is, that Aunoma wants to prepare fans for an somewhat unpopular gameplay mechanic. Something that is considered restricting the Open Word aspect of the game. But honestly I think it absolutely needs some sort of restricting. Otherwise it would encourage people to wander around all day and get bored or lost ("where did I wanna go at first?" "I wanted to cross that bridge and than I followed that deer and now that beacon of light seems too far away to reach in this play session").

I love the idea of an open world Zelda, don't get me wrong. A solution to the problem I am refering to and a "twist" would be the need to plan your journey. After placing that beacon you need supplies and items for that trip. Early on in the game you wouldn't be able to travel across the whole map or get too far away from your destonation of choice, because supplies are somewhat limited (look at Eponas bags). Puzzles would start right away. Maybe you would need to seit camp or reach a safe place before night to stay focused and motivated. Link is always hiding under that cloak, so maybe the world is much more dangerous than it seems at daylight.

Christ knows.... I've come to not like it when Aonuma has an interview. Things get more unclear with everything he says.

Heh. I could have told you that years ago.

Miyamoto said that the world changes based on your choices in the game a few months back, so that, couple with this, could mean bloody anything.

Most open world games do this to some degree now, so it doesn't tell us much either.

I know some time back, there was a rumor that the "open world" would be divided into sections that would open up as you progressed. But once again, this could mean anything. I feel we don't really have anything to go by yet.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There ain't no twist. Its a lie to create interest around the game. It's going to be an open world as seen in games such as Skyrim or the Witcher 3 or Dragon age, it's not going to be much different, it's not going to revolutionise the open world genre. Of course they aren't gonna tell you that.
Aounuma said SS would be radically different from past titles. It wasn't as it kept pretty much the same formula. He said that about ALBW too and it wasn't much different from other 2D titles.
Dont believe what this guy says, he's full of crap.

Last edited:

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I guess it could be like Dragon Quest VIII where it's basically linear until the half way point and then you learn to fly and you can go anywhere you want. I guess that wouldn't be so bad. They're releasing DQ8 on 3DS next year too, so that's a possible argument for that idea.
Maybe the twist is that it's actually subtitled 'The Legend of Zelda: Happy Hyrule Designers' where you pick the apples and plant them in your homestead to make a farm, and you pay a fairy to build a house but you always end up in their debt, and the open world is mainly there just for you to find new fruit and shells- I mean rupees to build your little town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom