• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So... What's the Twist? (on the Open World)

Christ knows.... I've come to not like it when Aonuma has an interview. Things get more unclear with everything he says.

Miyamoto said that the world changes based on your choices in the game a few months back, so that, couple with this, could mean bloody anything.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
All I ask for is a relatively normal control scheme. I don't want an abundance of "innovative" touch screen puzzles. We already got enough of those in PH and ST. I find it hard to go back to those games after the N64 remakes and ALBW on 3DS.

If anything, the game should keep scribbling on the map from those games. Would work perfectly with the Wii U Gamepad too.

Why does there have to be a twist? Actually, better question: Why does Aonuma continually insist on using Zelda games as a test for outlandish ideas that may or may not work?

I'm terrified every time this man opens his mouth about Zelda, because I believe him to be behind the most questionable decisions that have occurred with 3D Zelda recently. An inability to decide what the franchise's art style is which lead to its loss of identity because of contradiction, insisting to use the latest "Nintendo gimmick" in the most intrusive way possible, changing the conventions of the series to be more Mario-esque, and now he wants to put his own "unique spin" on something as traditional and basic as an open world?

It could end up awesome, I acknowledge that since we know literally nothing about it. But the man does not have the benefit of the doubt from me because of his track record so far, and it's pretty sad that I'm assuming that it'll result in an inferior product. This isn't like Mario, which has a near perfect track record when it comes to actual well-implemented innovation.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It would help if we had some idea of the actual combat and puzzles to piece together the exploration....

I just hope Aonuma does something amazing with this. And that Miyamoto doesn't dumb it down....

Djinn

and Tonic
Kind of terrible that we get some interesting news and we instantly fear the worst. Dammit Zelda! Do it right!
Whelp we have some experience in that area.

In SS they claimed how the overworld would be a different experience from before. So we got disjointed labyrinth-like overworld that you have to leave to go to the other parts. When they promised a much more immersive gameplay, they meant nothing but motion controls.

When they said there would be an upcoming HD remake (after we had a 2 minute demo of HD Twilight Princess boss fight) they released HD Wind Waker.

The DS games promised a new and different control scheme and we got stylus controls.

After a few years of really bad decisions, I do not like it when Nintendo of all companies tries to experiment. When they experiment it usually means odd gigantic 3D console on a tripod, or motion controls only, or huge unwieldy game pad for a controller, or impossible to use C-stick.

Reactions: Dio

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've become immune to Nintendo's misleading information now. So I don't think it means anything significant.

Most games put their own spin on a certain genre or game mechanic, so this isn't interesting in the slightest and is incredibly general. I've noticed now, especially with Zelda Wii U, since they're so reluctant to release any actual information, that they'll talk ambiguously about a certain in-game concept so people talk about it more. The information they release is never anything interesting and usually they talk in riddles and most Nintendo fans eat it up and try and solve it.

Truffles

Zelda is the Dark Souls of Zelda
Maybe (and I hope not) but maybe he's thinking about incorporating the gamepad screen a little more actively. As in, using it as a kind of alternate pair of eyes. So, the player would hold it up and be able to see a spirit (or something) that is invisible on the tv screen. Or using it to see a shadow version of the world (like Lorule). These are just silly ideas off the top of my head though. But what I'm getting at is, he might be hinting at a world with two distinct versions of itself. Which is not new territory for a Zelda game at all; but perhaps hasn't been done in an open world game before?

At any rate, I really hope Aonuma isn't relying on the gamepad too heavily. I really wanna play this on NX!

Salem

SICK
Hold on a second "twist"? Maybe the planet is like a mobius strip, see it's "twisted" somehow....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom