• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Smash Bros Ultimate

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So it's true then that there's no more custom moves? ...Damn that feels like a downgrade. Like removing over a hundred characters from the roster.

I thought we'd have a review/impressions thread by now, clearly not so I'll put mine here.

Sounds good, looks good and plays good.

...though it feels different and bloody hell I think this is the first Smash where I feel as if the CPU is cheap.

They spam like crazy and they love using the hop attack, most of my fights are spent trying to catch them to hit them. I had a fight with Bowser and he was doing his spinning star jump constantly and it was like we were stuck in a loop running circles around each other until I hit him.

I feel as if the assist trophies have been buffed far too much. When certain ones turn up you can guarantee a lost stock, couple that with another or a strong Pokemon and 1 on 1's can feel like a handicapped team battle. It's a bit too much sometimes.

That's basically my thoughts towards the entire game really; a little too much. It's great we have all of this but thank god we also got a lot of options to tailor the experience, I went into the options to doctor everything feeling as if I needed to to make the game more fun because I spent a lot of my time frustrated with the standard settings the game begins with.

For all Smash Wii U was pretty light on meaningful single player content I think I prefer how that one felt to play.
Though it doesn't matter much anyway; Smash Wii U had crap in the single player department but Smash Ultimate has the series's dullest and most frustrating grindfest in World of Light.

I'd have preferred a ton of trophies than the entirety of WoL. At least I get some interesting information and a nice 3D model for trophies with a camera to mess about with that i could have taken screenshots of for my Switch gallery.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

It's downloading right now. Did they really buff items again? That's unfortunate...I actually like playing with items, but since Brawl I've turned them off because a lot of them are just way too chaotic and powerful.

It's downloading right now. Did they really buff items again? That's unfortunate...I actually like playing with items, but since Brawl I've turned them off because a lot of them are just way too chaotic and powerful.

Not so much the items (unless you're on the wrong end of the potent at high percentage weapons) but the assist trophies are a nightmare. I had to stop fighting the level 9 CPU and fight off the assists because they were way more dangerous.

I have a few rulesets that are pretty much identical except minor differences like items being on or off and the final smash meter. And I have all of these somewhat normal rulesets but then I have one called "Brawl like it's 2008" as a 3 minute timed battle with only Brawl items and stages and it's very dank.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Let me point out that they put Ricky in this game. This seems to be the first game in my memory where Nintendo has acknowledged the Oracle series in such a direct way. I can only hope this means they're actually going to start treating the Oracles and MC as an actual thing.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm greatly enjoying my time with the game so far. I'm about halfway through World of Light, and about 35 fighters unlocked. I love the new Link, he plays better than ever. I can't wait to try out Toon Link's changes when I unlock him. I haven't done classic or other smash modes yet, I'm saving them for when I have the full roster.

DarkestLink

Holy ****, Link's bombs are even worse than I thought. If the opponent picks them up you can no longer activate them. They're bad for combos and not too good for recovery, but I suppose they're meant to be for traps instead...problem is, the opponent can easily disable them turn them against you, and the bombs move so far and are so bouncy that setting up isn't convenient.

...Also I don't know if it's just Link or Smash Ultimate as a whole, but he feels as heavy as a truck this time around.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
My first impressions of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Overall it's actually very nice.
World of Light feels like a big hassle so I haven't touched it since I unlocked Link and Inkling in it.
The whole spirits thing is kinda neat, but I prefer turning them off. Maybe if I want to spice things up.
My go to mode is 3 stock with items, no spirits.
Only have done a couple online matches, but they both were fine. No lag or any issues.
I also really love the music and how you can make playlists.
So my initial feelings are overall happy with it aside from the WoL

Classic Mode is where the single player entertainment is for me. I love how they made it quick and easy to play with one of several bosses at the end. So much better than Smash 4's.

World of Light is a beautiful map that's a slog to play. I play for 15 minutes at a time and get bored.

Feeling K. King Rool is going to be one of my new mains. I love that we finally have a heavy weight with an amazing recovery.

DarkestLink

Game felt pretty heavy and stiff overall, but changing sensitivity really helped. Will check and see if Link feels smoother after this. Is there a way to set certain skins to default BTW, like the 3DS?

Game felt pretty heavy and stiff overall, but changing sensitivity really helped. Will check and see if Link feels smoother after this. Is there a way to set certain skins to default BTW, like the 3DS?

Not that i've found but i hope it's in there somewhere because it bugs me that male Corrin gets the icon when the female one is the canon one (and my main).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom