• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Vs. Ocarina of Time

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
First let me preface this ridiculous post that I myself find far too many holes and even disagree with partly by saying Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are both video games that are far above par the sixth generation standard (GC, PS2, Xbox). They're possibly the better video games in history. However, it's important to note that they're also both Zelda games, which means they have expectations laid before them. The Zelda series has always been prestigious since A Link to the Past released. Characters always had some sort of depth, the story was always grand. This wasn't the Mario series which was known for being all gameplay and zero story. This wasn't anything but Zelda.

Ocarina of Time is simply the better game in my opinion. Story while cliche even at the time of it's release was pulled off excellently; all characters were handled as good as the hardware would allow. Dungeons were amazing (not too hard, not too easy)...world was just great. Gameplay was obviously good since every 3D Zelda since has used it as a template, and even the newest entry Skyward Sword is culprit to this. Targeting system and so on even influenced shooters...THAT'S something. OoT has many more achievements relevant to the Zelda series and gaming in general, just like it's older brother Super Mario 64, than just the aforementioned. It attracted the OoT fanboys years later and although many love to point "NOSTALGIA!!!ONE1111" as some sort of 'argument' that refutes their disposition, I would say that the people who love OoT feel the way they do simply because OoT was far more than "that new Zelda game". As I've said long ago, everything OoT did it just did right. Almost no flaws in this game at all -- one cannot say the characters are bad because OoT is vastly limited by hardware limitations. Should OoT had came out on the Wii in the v1.0 form, THEN there would be some legitimate flaws since the Wii Optical Disc can hold far much more data than the N64 cartridge (which is also why Ura Zelda had to use the N64DD for moar space lulz, the game was already too good to expand upon without a DISC DRIVE). One cannot cry foul to the enemy AI in this game, and I'll say why: if you look into OoT hacks, every hacker knows that they must expand the game file to create more free space; the N64 cartridge doesn't carry this free space. OoT Enemy AI believe it or not is pretty complicated and takes up a bit of space, if you think me wrong go look it up. Again, if OoT came out as it did on the Wii, there would be legit flaws. As an N64 game, I do not see any flaws in Ocarina. It was a game that was really a disaster for the inexperienced dev team, but it came out better than I think they could imagine. Plus, with the added bonus of being relatively new without any previous expectations for it, OoT performed well.

Skyward Sword in my opinion had it's gameplay rolling for it very well. Come on, using the sword like you do in that game has never been done before and while it isn't as revolutionary as the targeting system, it's still pretty darn revolutionary (it's been done before in Wii Sports Resort but I'm talking within the Zelda series). What dragged SS down in my opinion were the characters (specifically Demise, Princess Zelda, and slightly Ghirahim), story, and too many good concepts that weren't used well. I won't go into detail. What caused these problems was the simple fact that Nintendo got their priorities mixed up along the way. Miyamoto himself said (possibly jokingly) that if Skyward Sword wasn't better than Ocarina of Time that there wouldn't be any more Zelda. From there I believe Ninty just decided to throw around concepts and see what would be pleasing to the casual consumer. The art style is a plus, I love it. Gameplay definitely works and if I could have it my way, it would be a mainstay or at the very least a different mode of playing the game should buttons return. Everything else, not so much. I had expectations for SS since it IS a Zelda game. TP failed because it tried too hard to be OoT (and it failed). SS fails because it tries too hard to steal the show.

As for glitches, OoT launched with MANY, MANY bugs and glitches. But guess what? Those glitches were so good, so beneficial to the experience that the devs went out of their way to retain a few of them for Ocarina 3D. How is that possible? Why is that possible? Because OoT is just a great game. SS? It launched with many, MANY bugs and glitches as well. But what's the difference? Those glitches and bugs we so bad, so harmful to the experience that the devs were FORCED from fan feedback to release a patch to fix savefiles. Now, I'd say that the specific glitch I'm talking about is more an homage to Twilight Princess than a problem itself (TP launched with the Cannon Room glitch and if your file was affected iirc you could send your disc in for a replacement or something like that), but OoT easily had the better glitches which, despite the stigma behind glitches, allowed the experience to be enjoyed even further. Crooked Cartridge, swordless Link, Ocarina Items, Reverse Bottle Adventure, and so on. Ocarina definitely wins the glitches/bugs department.

And on the level of fanbase, I'd say OoT's fanbase is the better, since although they don't care to say any other Zelda is better (I don't see how that'd be true personally but), they typically do make arguments that reasonably show why they disagree with X being better than OoT. The bad OoT fanboys though, they like to curse anything new (except MM but I'm sure the OoT fans that hate MM do exist) and of course those who like the new. I'm kind of with both crowds...kind of. SS fans, though, they generally just like it because the game literally is pretty and because of Ghirahim's wonky personality, with all of their arguments being "SS IS NEW ZELDA AND IT PURTY AND...AND DEBBIE". They will then lecture you about something that is entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand, and nothing progresses. There are good SS fans, just look at 99% of ZeldaDungeon (specifically JuicieJ), who will easily plan out their arguments that truthfully do make sense, even if I tend to disagree.

In the end, both were released to extremely positive critical acclaim, with both receiving 40/40 from Famitsu and perfect scores from many sites. Both were amazing video games. SS just doesn't deliver. It doesn't need to deliver like Ocarina did, here I cue Majora's Mask, but it doesn't deliver like a good Zelda should in my mind.

OoT wins as a video game (it's far more influential) and as a Zelda game (it's just better IMO). Sorry SS, you should try to be like Majora's Mask and be more of your own game, not emulate Ocarina.

Last edited:
I have just purchased and started playing Skyward Sword, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have felt closer to Link than i have in any other game, therefore i'm going Skyward Sword all the way :)

D

dfiigins_runner

In all fairness the only way to really decided this would for people to completely forget about both games and then replay them to find out which is better. Since this can't happen the comparison is never going to be 100% true. Usually the first zelda ever played is the one people want to hold onto. For me TP was my first actually completed zelda, so I tend to hold it higher than others. SS in my opinion got me to think about what changed in the zelda universe. We finally had the complete back story to the connection of Link, Zelda, and Ganon as well as the master sword. I love OoT to death in fact I just replayed it last week, but it doesn't make me think about playing other zelda games as much. SS inspired me to go out and play every zelda game I possibly could.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I think that Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are equal. Both games have their ups and their downs, and both games have their pros and their cons.

But look at them. Both provide an amazing gameing experience that is enjoyable for the player. Both are also revolutions in the Zelda series. Ocarina of Time sent the series into the 3rd demension, providing room for a very different, very amazing Zelda series. Skyward Sword was also a revolution. Skyward Sword showed us that gameplay was not restricteed to button mashing. Its 1 to 1 swordplay, realistic archery, and other amazing motion controls changed the way we will play Zelda forever. Skyward Sword also brought more cinamatic cutscenes and orchestrated music to the series. Characters in Skyward Sword show believable emotion and provide for a better story experience.

So as you can see, both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are great revolutions for the beloved Zelda series. They are nothing less than equals. In the future, I garuntee that there will be another revolutionizing Zelda game and this exact discussion will come up again. But now, for me, both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword stand together.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword was also a revolution. Skyward Sword showed us that gameplay was not restricteed to button mashing. Its 1 to 1 swordplay, realistic archery, and other amazing motion controls changed the way we will play Zelda forever.

Actually, Zelda Wii U may return to button layouts, see this:
In addition, Miyamoto is looking at the idea of removing motion control gameplay. This feature was neat in Skyward Sword, but it caused some players to stop and quit the game. With the new controller being more focused on hardcore gameplay, Miyamoto is looking to return to a classic style of Zelda gameplay, that which the fans and newcomers would enjoy.

Source: Zelda Universe - Shigeru Miyamoto on Zelda

Yeah, SS may have given us 1:1 swordplay, but apparently it wasn't a good enough change for the series as evidenced by two things: a) fan reception and b) Miyamoto's looking to axe motion gameplay. Heck, don't you all remember the devs + Aonuma saying that 1:1 gameplay was added in later in the game's development period? It wasn't designed with it in mind at the time.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Okay let's start this.
Personally I prefer Skyward Sword.

I've played both games and have come to my decision:
First off I just want to say I'm not basing OoT off of Nostalgia. I wasn't very pleased with the dungeon length (how long I spent there), but the layout of the dungeons was great.
I will agree that I grew to despise Hyrule Field after traversing it several times, but I liked finding many things that were secretive. I think many of us can agree that we all hated rolling everywhere as a child. I prefer the mechanics of Epona better than the Loftwing though. I also think the Ocarina was fantastic, but.... it got kind of annoying having to use it so constantly. I don't mean like very annoying, just ever so slightly. I will most certainly give OoT props, because Navi was MUCH less annoying than Fi. I also thought OoT's overworld was pretty nice.

Why does Skyward Sword come over top?
Well first is the storyline. Even though Ocarina of Time had the most (yes I know I wouldn't say it, but all fans agree) nostalgic, unforgetable, and IMPORTANT storyline, Skyward Sword's storyline went in depth and made everything clear and made perfect sense to the player. As a prequel they did a great job, and I was happy to see many more sidequests in SS than OoT. The music in OoT was superb, but SS blew me away! Ranging from the Ballad of the Goddess to a character's individual theme, I was amazed. I thought the Dash mechanic was..... well, it's better than rolling. I really enjoyed it, but it kind of depleted quickly. Nonetheless, still great! Although a major disappointment for SS was that Dungeon's were small, but they had a lot to do with them. The Harp, imo, was an epic fail with a significant purpose. The graphics were phenomenal, and the concept of the Silent Realm was great. Although I agree that there should have been many more islands, I think they did and okay job with it.

I know I didn't touch base on EVERYTHING, but from my point of view, I love Skyward Sword over Ocarina of Time.
Don't worry though. I still love OoT. ;)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have said in another thread today why I think OOT is the better game. I will say there is not that much difference between the pair, it's not like one is way way better. I just prefer OOT. I think it did things well which have been taken from the series more recently.

The thing is, a lot of people bring in nostalgia into these types of threads. People are typically more likely to remember fun games they played as children, and thus making it "better". There is a huge difference between nostalga and quality. Nostalgic games hold memories from past, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Techinically speaking, Skyward Sword is a lot better than Ocarina of Time with better controls, graphics, items, plot, and design. However, because so many people are saying that you have to consider that OoT was made in the late 1900's, I will put that into calculation. There is pretty much no doubt that SS had cooler items.

Let's say they tie in graphic since at the time, OoT had pretty good graphics. Personally, I think dungeons in SS were more well-thought out than OoT's dungeons. The plot in SS a bit more heart touching than the plot in OoT; look at Groose and cry. Visuals were pretty similar considering times. SS had more places to explore. You ride on a big bird in SS and a horse in OoT. Which is cooler? I'd say flting is a little more epic than riding a horse. 1:1 motion controls were amazing. Bosses in SS were much more epic and fun to fight thatn OoT's bosses. There just is not that many reasons to bring OoT over SS, even considering the times. You have to backtrack quite a bit for both games. Fi was pretty annoying, but so was Navi. A lot of people hate Navi, but not a lot of people hate OoT; therefore, Fi cannot be a reason to bring down SS. If you've watched the ending scene on Fi, you'll understand Fi. The final boss in SS was f****** EPIC (OoT's final boss was really awesome, but SS's final boss was more epic and dramatic). There just aren't many solid reasons to top SS over OoT that easily. Most people say, "OoT brought me into Zelda", or "OoT was so nalstalgic with so many memories", or "Nothing can beat OoT since it was awesome when I played as a child." These are not reasons you can use to put a game over another. I agree with these people, but Skyward Sword is a better game than Ocarina of Time even if by a little. If you disagree, please give me some reasons WITHOUT nostalgia.

Ocarina of Time is way to overrated. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE OoT. I just can't deny that Skyward Sword is better than OoT. There just aren't any reasons that I can understand.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's a curious thing, really. Skyward Sword is actually better than Ocarina of Time in multiple areas, specifically combat, puzzle-solving, story, and music. However, SS doesn't manage to bring all of its elements together as smoothly as OoT does by a longshot (no pun intended). OoT honestly doesn't have any particular features that are the best in the series, but it doesn't matter because nearly every one of them is strong, and they're all brought together equally to create an incredible balance that very few video games have even come close to replicating. That alongside OoT having less flaws than SS makes it the superior of the two, especially from a structural standpoint. SS may be the victor in numerous individual categories, but as a whole it's not quite as good. Still a fantastic game and the best the series has seen since Majora's Mask, but it fell just shy of becoming the absolute best the series has seen period.

SS? It launched with many, MANY bugs and glitches as well.

What are you talking about? Skyward Sword is VERY polished when it comes to glitches. The only legitimate glitch was the game-breaking one, which you literally had to go out of your way to activate. In all reality, Zelda has always been good about not having glitches invade the immersive experiences they provide, even the N64 games. There's never been a Zelda game where you just randomly run into glitches. Nintendo isn't Bethesda.

OoT wins as a video game (it's far more influential) and as a Zelda game (it's just better IMO). Sorry SS, you should try to be like Majora's Mask and be more of your own game, not emulate Ocarina.

I agree that OoT is the better game (I know I initially didn't, but I was stupid for that), but how did SS try to emulate OoT? That was TP. SS did its own thing in everything but story, which was more akin to telling the kind of story TP failed to than emulating OoT's story.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) Skyward Sword

2) MM and TP have had far more comparisons

3) A few dated threads exist--but at least this isn't ANOTHER TP vs SS

4) You should have a poll for this sort of thread

5) I'm pretty sure OoT is going to win since SS's reception has been lukewarm at best.

EDIT: I just realized this was nearly a year old...who revived this fossil?

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Actually, Zelda Wii U may return to button layouts, see this:

Source: Zelda Universe - Shigeru Miyamoto on Zelda

Yeah, SS may have given us 1:1 swordplay, but apparently it wasn't a good enough change for the series as evidenced by two things: a) fan reception and b) Miyamoto's looking to axe motion gameplay. Heck, don't you all remember the devs + Aonuma saying that 1:1 gameplay was added in later in the game's development period? It wasn't designed with it in mind at the time.

Miyamoto merely said they were in the R&D phase. This could easily mean they're either tweaking the controls or considering multiple control schemes. Even if motion controls were dropped, though, I think we both know it wouldn't be standard controls due to the GamePad's capabilities.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I really liked Skyward Sword, but history will always remember OoT better. SS will be always viewed a forgotten Zelda because of it's control scheme, which is really sad because it was a really good game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I really liked Skyward Sword, but history will always remember OoT better. SS will be always viewed a forgotten Zelda because of it's control scheme, which is really sad because it was a really good game.

Forgotten? Skyward Sword was one of the pioneers of the Wii MotionPlus. If anything, it will be remembered for that, much like Ocarina of Time was for its targeting system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom