• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Should the Six Starting Hearts Return in Future Games?

Should the starting 6 hearts return?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
We need to up the ante as far as difficulty. Play OoT and then play SS. We have lost a lot of difficulty over the years. Zelda needs to become harder and more serious. SS just felt too east when you combine the Sheikah Stone hints, dungeon ease, and the six hearts. I can only see six hearts being used in a special mode called "Baby Mode". Honestly that would be pretty cool if they actually did it.

I'm sorry, but if you used the Sheikah Stone and found the game too easy, that's your fault.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I will admit that in this case, I have the Zelda mentality stereotype. "It's different! RAGE!" I don't really care that it leaves less heart pieces to find and whatnot, nor do I care too much that it makes the early game easy, I just don't like that a heavy Zelda tradition was changed without a viable (I have no idea what that word means) explanation. Give me back my three hearts.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
We need to up the ante as far as difficulty. Play OoT and then play SS. We have lost a lot of difficulty over the years. Zelda needs to become harder and more serious. SS just felt too east when you combine the Sheikah Stone hints, dungeon ease, and the six hearts. I can only see six hearts being used in a special mode called "Baby Mode". Honestly that would be pretty cool if they actually did it.

No, like Demise_ said, SS had properly scaled difficulty. And a big part of that was the way it started out with the six hearts. I have issues with the six-hearts because of the content lost, but the difficulty curve in SS was a great improvement over previous games. Look at the OP, you'll find that in SS you end up with a much harder end game, as far as damage-dealing goes, than previous games, namely the example used, OoT.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Can we have 5 pieces and only three heart start? I don't really care how often I die, I just want a lot of content :)

That's one thing I dislike about Twilight Princess, and not just from an objective standpoint. There are a lot of things about TP that I complain about, yet overlook while playing. But this is not one of them. It's a constant reminder that TP is so lacking in content compared to its scope, as it merely creates the illusion of the world having more things to find. Plus, it was a cheap way to elongate the amount of time spent 100%ing the game.

5 pieces is only justifyable by a 6 heart start.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

Not true. Five pieces is welcome no matter how many hearts exist - the key is that the pieces need to be cleverly hidden, or put within the masking of a substantial minigame. Even if it's through the incentive of leaderboards - like the Mailbag minigame atop Dragon Roost Island in The Wind Waker - people should genuinely want to get heart pieces. Six hearts to most does not justify getting more hearts, and the problems that stem from six heart start are many.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Not true. Five pieces is welcome no matter how many hearts exist - the key is that the pieces need to be cleverly hidden, or put within the masking of a substantial minigame. Even if it's through the incentive of leaderboards - like the Mailbag minigame atop Dragon Roost Island in The Wind Waker - people should genuinely want to get heart pieces.

I already went over how it's a cheap way to elongate the game and make the world seem like it has more content than it really does.

Six hearts to most does not justify getting more hearts, and the problems that stem from six heart start are many.

That... has nothing to do what I said. I said the only way 5 Heart Pieces per Container is justifiable is by starting with 6 hearts, not that starting with 6 hearts justifies 5 Heart Pieces per Container. And what do you even mean by problems?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
That's one thing I dislike about Twilight Princess, and not just from an objective standpoint. There are a lot of things about TP that I complain about, yet overlook while playing. But this is not one of them. It's a constant reminder that TP is so lacking in content compared to its scope, as it merely creates the illusion of the world having more things to find. Plus, it was a cheap way to elongate the amount of time spent 100%ing the game.

I don't see how adding more content is cheap. It takes more effort and adds to the experience IMO...whereas going back to 4 heart containers and removing 5 hearts (5 dungeons or 20 sidequests) is just lazy and worsens the experience.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I prefer harder games and hope Nintendo continues to amp up the difficulty of future installments. In addition, I've long supported implementing difficulty levels in Zelda games. Harder modes like Master Quest or Hero's Mode should be available from the start. Rather than enemies doing twice as much damage, Link could have half as much health. In the normal difficulty, for example, Link would have six hearts whereas in the harder difficulty he would have three hearts.

With Skyward Sword, Nintendo provided us more item options with the upgrade system. Now it's time to look towards the more obvious in creating a more refined, accessible experience.

Dan

yes i think the starting 6 hearts should return like me skype voice chats always return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom