• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sealed in a Mask

initialDable

going deku
Forgive me if I only repeat a topic. I searched, but found nothing on this.

The song of healing in Majora's Mask is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled souls turning them into masks. It can be said that the masks (especially the transformation masks) created by the song of healing contain the soul of the person who was healed. My theory is that the masks do not literally entrap the soul of the person like some may say. Instead the qualities that they had in life. Some evidence behind this is the fact that the spirits of the healed person communicated with Link after the healing. Darmani spoke to Link after Link healed his soul and created the goron mask. Mikau appeared to Link in the form of a spirit after Link healed him creating the zora mask. Infact Mikau's spirit still cries "yay" when you read his grave. Basically all I'm saying is that I am starting not to think that the souls of these people are captured or stuck inside of the masks. I think that the masks are enlightened and contain the magic and powers of the person.

Then again, the elegy of emptiness sheds soul-like shells of the the actual person. hmmm. What do you think?

Last edited:
You make a very good point. I don't think the masks contain the souls of the ones they were made from either. The masks are basically images of what the original souls were. Same goes for the ellegy of emptiness statues, they are just empty shells showing a combination of what you look like and what your soul is like in that form. But what about Majora's mask. The dark tribe believed that the mask contained Majora himself but the only way link ever made a mask from somebody was when they were dieing or it was there own creation of themselves ( like that dude that shows you that dance). Either majora made the mask himself, someone defeated him then made the mask while he was dieng, or (completely out of nowhere) someone who new or in some way was close to majora who possesed powerful magic created the mask from Majora's image.

initialDable

going deku
Majora's Mask and Fierce Deity Mask are loop holes in this theory. It's possible that Majora's Mask could just be evil in itself and that no demon or evil entity is inside. The mask is just evil and Link killed that evil. Though it makes more sense to to say there is something inside of it. Fierce Deity Mask is just a mystery. It's possible that the same could go for it, but I don't think so. There probably is something inside that mask.

Another thing is that Majora's Mask is evil and so are the remain masks of the four bosses. Each remain mask was used as a prison for one of the four giants. The song of healing may peacefully create a mask freeing spirits where as whatever evil power Majora had imprisons spirits into masks.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
I agree, it seems more logical that the person's "aura" if you will, resides in such an object. With aura being the essence of the being of a person's self.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
"Aura" for me is beginning to seem like a fancy term for soul or spirit. If that's the case, then the Song of Healing is merely a mortal manifestation of a power that creates or solidifies spirits and masks, like the Dark Tribe did. If that's the case, the Dark Tribe concealed a link to their magical abilities within the song, so when you play it it heals or solidifies the spirit or soul of the being, as long as their life is short. For example, you cannot play the Song of Healing for anyone and turn them into a mask, the person must either be already dead, dying, or be corrupted by a curse (in Link's case, Deku Form.) So that could mean that Majora was a dark being that has majorly injured, however couldn't be destroyed, so the Dark Tribe sealed Majora or transformed Majora into a mask, because Majora was either injured or cursed by a different evil. (Sorry by the way, just expressing my own opinion.)

As for the souls being healed and a separate mask being created when the soul is free to roam, I like that theory. Now because of Darmani was a spirit and came to Link and was seeable, that could mean that all souls wander after the person's death, however can normally only be seen with the Lens of Truth, which shows the truth of the soul or spirit being there. In short, I like your theory initialDable!

I always figured that the song of healing trapped the soul of a person in a mask. However, having never played the game before (all though I may get either it or OoT tomorrow) I did not know about your examples of interacting with spirits after they're "healed." now that yoi give those examples, i beleve that you are right and that the song of healing just copies their powers and attributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom