• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Worst Water Levels

Oh, good find, thanks for posting this Michael!

Let's see here... Starting with the Zelda stuff, I agree that the Water Temple has gotten a bad rep. I actually don't think there's really anything wrong with it. It's a great dungeon. :? I do however completely agree about the Great Sea. I appreciate it for what it is, an original idea like he said, and I wouldn't exactly have had them do away with it, but it needed a lot of work. It feels like a prototype to me.

I really disagree about Aquas. Aquas was one of my favorite levels in Star Fox 64. It was a really difficult, unique level that I always have a lot of fun on. I sort of understand their reasons but I completely disagree with them.

I agree on Hydro City. I don't think it's a bad level, but it's very painful and hard. I always struggle on it, and I generally fear it for that reason. xP Never played Ecco, but it's a fairly beloved series from what I've seen and it interests me a lot, so I can't particularly agree. All I can say about the Conker level is... HOLY CRAP THAT LEVEL WOULD TERRIFY ME! xD What with my almost claustrophobic fear of being underwater, possibly in narrow spaces, and/or in dark or murky water. :xd:

Kingdom Hearts 2's Atlantica, I agree on. I had some issues with that world in KH1, but it was an actual level. I wanted them to polish it and do it again in KH2, but nope. <_< I'm also disappointed about the song minigame for two reasons. One, it needed to be more complex, and two, it should have been in almost every world! Most animated Disney movies are musicals! How about This is Halloween or Be Prepared as minigames? :lol:

Lol at the minus level. Again, thanks for posting this Michael. I like water levels even though they often freak me out a tad, particularly because they do that. :xd: I like the horror genre so I guess it's the same phenomenon there.

the following are my opinions, i respect the opinions of Screw Attack however i'm leaving out Skies of Arcadia and Kingdom Hearts because i've never played them (however from what i just saw they are questionable)

**Star Fox 64**
i will agree to this but i actually like the fact that it's dark because it simulates that you're really that deep into the water and as a fan of the Zora race in the Zelda games i personally like water levels but i do have gripes against a couple of the common ones

**Sonic**
first of all, Laberynth Zone in Sonic 1 would have been the perfect example, ok now that that's out of the way, i can see what the mean about Hydro City Zone in Sonic 3 only because that's what i went through when i first played the level but after that Hydro City really isn't a big deal Laberynth Zone takes the cake especially it's return as Scrap Brain Zone act 3

**Ecco the Dalphin**
personally i actually love this game but only cause i like exploring the ocean (especially in the Dreamcast version)

**TMNT**
the most i will say about the water level here is that it needs to die in a fire

**Ocarina of Time**
i'll admit i forget my way around the water temple everytime i playthrough he game as well but i wouldn't say that i don't like it, it's a mind game to me and i actually kinda like that

**Wind Waker**
i'll agree about the part about it being boring most of the time but if there's anything about the Great Sea of Wind Waker is that you keep having to change the wind's direction, i'm sorry but i found that to be more tedius than having to keep swapping between the iron boots and normal boots in OOT's water temple

**Conker's Bad Fur Day**
i agree although i wouldn't say that section was pressure worthy but i found to be boring and uninteresting

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I hate underwater levels in Sonic! The atmosphere in Aquarium Park in Sonic Colors was beautiful, but still hard and frustrating. I totally agree with both Zelda games that were on there, and I forget the OoT Water Temple EVERY TIME and end up going "Where was that key again?". The Great Sea is SO BIG and SO EMPTY and SO BORING!!!!!

the ones in Sonic aren't that bad in the classic games except of course Laberynth Zone in Sonic 1 bt in the other classics there are water levels that either won't keep you underwater for very long like Hydro City Zone or levels liek Aquatic Ruin in Sonic 2 where you can completely avoid into the waer section of the level but of course make sure you know what you're doing

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
I can only state my opinions on #,7,#6, and #5.

#7-TMNT water level
I hate this level with passion.

#6-Oot Water Temple
Agreed I always get lost there.

#5-Wind Waker great sea
Completely but not totally agreed.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Ahh, ScrewAttack... I'm registered on their website.
Water Temple - Worst for the well-known reason - the Iron Boots and old mechanics?
The Great Sea - It's not boring, but TWW is the most time-consuming game. Maybe even more than MM (in order to get 100% in first quest - with all figurines, except Knuckle and the Tingle Tuner stuff, because I don't have a GBA).

How about Level 4 (Gloomy Galleon) in Donkey Kong 64? During my first playthrough, I was lost in that level. There are two large water areas and many bananas to find.

I felt they cheated including the -1 level as the top one. It's not hard, it's just impossible to get out of. Aquas should have been much higher on that list. I didn't even think about Aquas. I mean, I'd always intentionally avoid Aquas when playing Star Fox 64, but whenever water levels are brought up as a topic, that level never comes to mind. the Blue Marine definitely needs to head back to Benito Toad's lab. :P

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I felt they cheated including the -1 level as the top one. It's not hard, it's just impossible to get out of. Aquas should have been much higher on that list. I didn't even think about Aquas. I mean, I'd always intentionally avoid Aquas when playing Star Fox 64, but whenever water levels are brought up as a topic, that level never comes to mind. the Blue Marine definitely needs to head back to Benito Toad's lab. :P

I felt the same way, the minus world in Mario Bros was cool and fun, but I understand that it is a big letdown considering how hard it is to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom