• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Replacing Midna?

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
So many of us have played the first Zelda game to come to the Wii, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. One of the main characters in The Legend of Twilight Princess was Midna. I've looked over the artwork that was released over the summer of 2009 and now that I look at it, I'm thinking, 'So they are replacing Midna?'
To be completely honest, Midna is by far my favorite character in the entire Legend of Zelda series. Some of you may agree or disagree strongly or weakly with my opinion. I thought it was very sad how she left in the end of Twilight Princess and I hated how she was about to say, "I love you."

Now they have released artwork with a new girl to accompany Link. I already know that this game will be set hundreds of years later, but still. I don't want the closest Zelda romance there was to disappear because of this strange new girl. What do you guys think?

Ikana

Trollkastel
We don't know her personalty yet she can be another Navi for all we know,but I hope not.I'm not a big fan of romance in Zelda so I really wouldn't mind if they changed it up a bit.

A

Aura

They pretty much have to replace Midna.
Anyway it's not so much replacing.
It's a new Zelda, so they have new characters.
The whole twilight thing got old.
I'm sure they'll come up with something good.
Who knows, maybe we'll even see a little of her in the new Zelda.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
For those who are disappointed in the ending of Twilight Princess... it honestly couldn't have ended any other way than it did. I knew what was going to happen by the time I stepped into the reassembled Mirror of Twilight. It's just the kind of person Midna is. Think about it...

"It still appalls me that this world of light is controlled by that princess. A carefree youth, a life of luxury. How does that teach duty?" -Midna

"Though the goddesses forbade us to return to the world of light, they left one link between the light and the darkness.Something called the Mirror of Twilight was passed to the protectors of Hyrule...It's our only path to the Twilight Realm...and we must get there! You'll come with me...won't you?" - Midna

"Only the true leader of the Twili can utterly destroy the Mirror of Twilight... so Zant could merely break it into pieces." -Sages

"The evil within the shards is more powerful than you can imagine... You know we could be assembling something truly terrible here... It could be something that we'll ultimately have to destroy..." - Midna

"Regardless of what my reasons may have been, I once abandoned this world... I left behind the Twili. Those who had followed me... Who considered me their ruler..." -Midna

By the time all this was said, I wouldn't have expected anything less than Midna destroying the MoT and remaining with the Twili at the end of the game, out of duty to both worlds, and guilt for abandoning the Twili the first time. It's that whole "good of the many outweighs the good of the few" philosophy that most good leaders are shown to follow (Especially in Zelda games, since the King set a precedent for it in WW). Any other choice would clearly have been out of a selfish desire to see Link again.

Leaving the mirror in place would have left the people of Hyrule at risk from the evil that had been sealed in the mirror, and the people of Twilight at risk of another Zant trying to use that evil to conquer both worlds again. At the very least, destroying the mirror severed all links, and thus ensured that any evil that started in one world couldn't spread to the other (or at least Midna clearly believed this to be so). Midna acted as I would have, had I been in her place, and shared her values.

Basically, they kind of HAVE to replace Midna, because her nature (both physical as a Twili and emotional as a duty-bound ruler) doesn't allow her to be reused. I think it's possible that they'll introduce another character with a personality similar to Midna's in the future, though, possibly even rationalizing that Midna was actually a "shadow" of this person that came to exist in the TR. After all, it is said in-game that the TR is bound to Hyrule, and affected by it. Basically, losing the actual character doesn't mean we won't get another character that's very similar.

I'm sorry that the loss of Midna was so hard on you, but I hope that you can learn to appreciate the idea of new characters carrying on the spirit/personality of the old ones. After all, we actually don't even have the same Link and Zelda from past games... just their descendants.

How is it replacing? You act as if Twilight Princess is the first Zelda game made, ever! Link always had different sidekicks since OoT. I'm also wondering how people found so much character depth in TP, they seemed pretty dull to me.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
This is hard to word, so I apologise if I come off preechy or in an annoying tone, I don't mean to.
Anyway, I wouldn't call it "replacing" at all. By that logic, Zelda 'replaced' Ciela and Linebeck, who 'replaced' Midna, who 'replaced' Elzo, who 'replaced' The King of Red lions, who 'replaced' Tatl, who 'replaced' Navi. What. So if anything, the new girl will just be replacing Navi, not Midna, as all other sidekicks have done, as she was the first one. (a=b, b=c, therefore a=c).
Anyway. It seems to have become tradition for Link to be accompanied by a different person each game, and heck, it would only be 'replacing' her if it was a second adventure of TP Link, and he had a new sidekick, which Miyamoto/Aonuma confirmed Zelda Wii isn't. Different Link, different sidekick. Voila.

Don't get me wrong, I love Midna as much as the next person, but honestly TP wrapped itself up really nicely at the end, and she doesn't need to be brought back by some awkward and contradicting plot. Also, some people would argue that Ilia and Link likely had a relationship before Midna, and that Midna and Link were just great friends- we don't actually know what Midna was going to say, because she never said it. It could have been "Link, I.... had a fantastic adventure, thank you." or "Link, I... wish I didn't have to do this." or "Link, I... I'm sorry for being awful to you when we first met, you always did your best and never gave up on anyone, you're a great friend.", or even "Link, I... adore waffles~!"
Heck, somewhere I'm sure the developers said they purposely left all relationships ambiguous so fans could believe what they wanted to, thus it's not the only and closest romance in the series. And as others said, it had pretty much ended anyway at the end of TP, before Zelda Wii even came into the picture. And Midna's personallity was pretty recycled anyway- who's another fiesty yet caring princess in disguise.... oh, Tetra!

SO, personally I can't wait to see who that "strange new girl" is~

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
As far as I'm away, each sidekick has only lasted 1 game, so, frankly, to me, it's not a big deal. Plus, if characters kept coming back simply because they were liked, the game would just seem really strange. Just imagine if Saria, Pamela, Medli, Error and Midna were in one game.
Plus, I just don't think there's a way to bring her back. At least not as an actual character. They might go and give a cameo, somehow (although they seem to do that more with Mario characters). Otherwise, I think the only way we'll see her again is to re-play TP.

I wouldn't say it's this new character bringing about the end of Midna. It was the climax of Twilight Princess that did that. There's really no way she can appear again under normal circumstances. They'd have to do something pretty crazy, and I don't really see them doing that. Nintendo has made comments of it being possible that they'd bring Midna back if there was enough demand for her, but I think if they did it would be under unusual, particular circumstances. What those would be, I can't really say.

I liked Midna a lot, I suppose, but I felt her leaving in TP was appropriate and doing anything else would diminish the story of the game, and even her character. So I'm not really that upset. They did something a lot bigger with her than other characters and that's good enough for me.

And really, there's always a new sidekick in every Zelda game. I never expected Midna to come back. For her to come back would be pretty unusual. Hell, it'd probably be a once in a lifetime occurrence. :xd: Not to say it'd be a bad thing, just saying it's unlikely.

I never really liked Midna, first of all. Second, they would about have to replace her considering the end of TP pretty much said she was gone. No matter how many years after TP this takes place, or wherever the game will take place, Minda is gone. Its just like every other sidekick that Link has had over the years. The only one that has ever lasted has been Tetra, if you want to even consider her a sidekick, and she was only there for WW and PH.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I never really liked Midna, first of all. Second, they would about have to replace her considering the end of TP pretty much said she was gone. No matter how many years after TP this takes place, or wherever the game will take place, Minda is gone. Its just like every other sidekick that Link has had over the years. The only one that has ever lasted has been Tetra, if you want to even consider her a sidekick, and she was only there for WW and PH.

True, I just felt like Midna was a good character. We all have our own opinions, so I can't argue with you (I'm not saying I would anyway). I'm seriously in love with TP so I'm going to admit, I cried for a while when Midna left. Yeah, I am Zelda-Geek.

This is hard to word, so I apologise if I come off preechy or in an annoying tone, I don't mean to.
Anyway, I wouldn't call it "replacing" at all. By that logic, Zelda 'replaced' Ciela and Linebeck, who 'replaced' Midna, who 'replaced' Elzo, who 'replaced' The King of Red lions, who 'replaced' Tatl, who 'replaced' Navi. What. So if anything, the new girl will just be replacing Navi, not Midna, as all other sidekicks have done, as she was the first one. (a=b, b=c, therefore a=c).
Anyway. It seems to have become tradition for Link to be accompanied by a different person each game, and heck, it would only be 'replacing' her if it was a second adventure of TP Link, and he had a new sidekick, which Miyamoto/Aonuma confirmed Zelda Wii isn't. Different Link, different sidekick. Voila.

Don't get me wrong, I love Midna as much as the next person, but honestly TP wrapped itself up really nicely at the end, and she doesn't need to be brought back by some awkward and contradicting plot. Also, some people would argue that Ilia and Link likely had a relationship before Midna, and that Midna and Link were just great friends- we don't actually know what Midna was going to say, because she never said it. It could have been "Link, I.... had a fantastic adventure, thank you." or "Link, I... wish I didn't have to do this." or "Link, I... I'm sorry for being awful to you when we first met, you always did your best and never gave up on anyone, you're a great friend.", or even "Link, I... adore waffles~!"
Heck, somewhere I'm sure the developers said they purposely left all relationships ambiguous so fans could believe what they wanted to, thus it's not the only and closest romance in the series. And as others said, it had pretty much ended anyway at the end of TP, before Zelda Wii even came into the picture. And Midna's personallity was pretty recycled anyway- who's another fiesty yet caring princess in disguise.... oh, Tetra!

SO, personally I can't wait to see who that "strange new girl" is~

I have to be honest, I really am so excited for the new girl, but I just was so sad when Midna left Link like that, you know what I mean?

How do you know it's set hundreds of years after? I've heard nothing of that.

Every game is sets years after because it's a different Link in each game. If it was the case that it was the same Link, then he would know that the Goddesses accepted him as the Hero of Time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linky

King of Twilight
For me the whole Twilight theme and Midna was great...but it got annoying after a while the twilight just made Zelda seem too dark. I liked Midna but I would be annoyed if they put her in two games I like having all new characters in each game becides link and the other main characters. And I don't feel like she would want to go back to link even though she was so close to him, because the only reason she came by link was cuz Zant had made her an imp and a prisoner or whatever of twilight. Now that Zants good now.. or dead can't remember and midnas back to her regular self she doesn't need link and it would be kinda akward with an actually person that can't go micro size into your back back or fly by your side like Navi walking next to you

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Good riddance to Midna being replaced.
To me she was just an even more annoying and arrogant version of Tetra!
And I hated Tetra!
I'd prefer it if this new character played the Saria role, ginving hints and being a generally cut and kind character.
Please! No more tom boys!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
It makes sense to replace Midna. Not once in the Zelda universe has Link ever kept one sidekick it adds freshness. Plus this is a different Link, so I don't think he'd have the same relations with Midna if she was present here.

Different Link so the relationship with Midna won't mean anything.

And she can't come back.

I look forward to the new guide though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom