• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reactions to SS

Honestly, the first time I saw the trailer I was disappointed because I wanted and expected realistic graphics. But now I have completely warmed up to the graphics of SS and am greatly looking forwards to the game.

So I'm one of the few who had a negative reaction to the trailer.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
When they first showed off the E3 2010 trailer I was expecting realistic graphics so at first I did not like the art style but a few hours after the trailer was first shown I started to love it and now I think SS can/will be the best Zelda ever.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
First thing I thought when I saw it? What the ****** you *******! ********************! (No actual swears there, so don't worry.) I was really dissapointed about how the game looked, since I was expecting updated Twilight Princess graphics. I also hated how it borrowed tech from Wii sports resort, like the bow and arrow, the sword and the beetle.

I didn't like it for about a week, then it slowly but surely started to grow on me. I read up on the plot and story and watched interviews about the game, and all of those things got me very excited about it.

Now, I love the game, or at least what we've seen of it, and I will be buying it the day it comes out :D

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My mind was blown past the point of putting my reaction into words. I love it. I love the art and graphic style. They are awesome. I love the 1:1 motion control they're using. I love what I know about the story so far. I love the stamina gauge. I love how each battle is a puzzle. I LOVE EVERYTHING. No coplaints here. Absolutely none.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
To be very honest, my first reaction when watching the E3 2010 live stream was also "Oh no! It's Wind Waker 2.0! :(" but that feeling slightly improved over time. As of now, I'd rate the graphical style as "OK", but nothing special. Of course I haven't experienced the gameplay yet, this will make or break the game, the graphics in this case are secondary, they don't pull me off but they aren't really bad either. But still today, I'm a bit skeptical about how the game will turn out. The Wii Motion plus may be beneficial to the game but it may also be able to turn the game into a gimmicky Wii Sports Resort style experience. So all we can do is wait for the game to hit stores... until now, the game could rank anywhere between a 2/10 and a 9/10.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
I was thinking, "What the heck." I was kinda weirded out at first and really missed the TP graphics, but now it seems really cool, and I absolutely love it now.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
This was my first thought:

What happended to this?

skywardswordfirstorigin.jpg

The current Skyward Sword is not the Skyward Sword that was originally planed. Maybe the title Skyward Sword was added later. And yes, I was a bit disappointed.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
I don't understand everyone's hung up on graphics. If you're part of this website, you're a Zelda fan. Twilight Princess' graphics were great, but so are skyward sword's. It's just different. Reusing graphics is not something Zelda is known for, and for good reason. They keep experimenting, trying to find the best fit for the series. I personally believe that Twilight Princess was a bit too realistic graphics wise for the feel of Zelda. I love SS graphics, mostly because it is real enough to feel connected to the game without losing that sense of a fantastical world. But I'm getting side-tracked. The greatest thing about Zelda is the games, not the graphics. I would play a Zelda game with CD-i cutscene graphics if it was made by Nintendo.

When i first saw it, i made some chu jelly in my pants.

Eww! Gross! :bleh:

I jumped up and down on the second floor of my house, and broke stuff (like a chandelier, a lamp, etc.) on the first floor from all the ruckus. This is a bit out of character for me, as I am usually calm and collected in most situations. I don't think I've been that excited about anything since I first unlocked Ganondorf on Super Smash Bros. Melee! ...oh and seeing Twilight Princess at E3 2005(?)! :)

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
(Wolfie, what did i tell you about the SwS Threads?)

I, as soon as i heard about it, texted my older bro (who is in LOVE with Zelda like me) and told him about it! he replied *checks through phone* "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!* :lol:

Haha, But seriously, i was super excited!!! and when new details came out, i screeched like a lil girl and was in awe for the next week and a half. I'm still wondering how my friends (the ones who don't like Zelda) put up with me that week. :xd: yeah, i went over to a Birthday Party like, the day after GDC, and me, my friend Nick, and Ruby Link talked about SwS (and Zelda in particular) for most of the day... :xd:

so, long story short, i was really, really, really, REALLY! excited! ^^

When i sitting in my room watching e3 2010 on G4TV i was expecting the same artwork that was shown at e3 2009, as the trailer for the new game went i had chills down my spine watching the 4 different links in all their glory in the beginning of the trailer. When they showed the new link i was like WTF? i didn't expect to see link like this i expected a realistic link like in the concept art. as the trailer progressed i was wondering why all the enemies looks weird and kind of stupid. then when they announced the name i freaked out because i saw that it had something to do with the sky.

After that Miyamoto came up on stage and showed the game off, and i was sitting there with my mouth wide open just looking at what you can do in the game. I will admit i first hated the graphic style, link looked kind of like Freddy off of Scooby Doo in the face, i then grew to accept it and now i love it. The Wii motion plus got my attention because it is the first Zelda game where you have to actually swing the wiimote instead of flicking it. another thing that i loved was now you can bowl bombs, that really got me excited and i imagined how it can be used throughout the game.

I now love the look of the game and i am super excited for it, even more excited when i first learned about the legend of Zelda games. In my opinion this is going to be the best (if not) the greatest Zelda game, it might even surpass Ocarina of Time and even get Ocarina of time fanboys to play other Zelda games. So until the game actually comes out i will not know for sure but until then i will keep looking at the trailers and gameplay videos in amazement.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
When i first saw it, i made some chu jelly in my pants.

Uh, I understand that you were excited and all, but... WAS THERE A NEED FOR YOU TO GO INTO THAT KIND OF DETAIL!?

Now, on topic: I didn't know what to make of the graphic style at first. I wasn't dissapointed or excited. And the trailer looked kind of bland to me (the later ones fixed that). But I've started to like it better as it progresses.

Funny thing is, I had thought several months before how Twilight Princess Link would look like in cel-shading, then I said to myself "Nah! Nintendo would never do that!". Then they show THAT VERY SAME THING at E3. That's mainly where my surprise came from.

I mean, how often do you have a random idea that later on happens to be used in a game you like?

It was the biggest coincidence that's ever happened to me!

My first reaction was one of skepticism, mostly because after seeing the picture from E3 '09,
Zelda_Legend_2010.jpg
I wasn't expecting the graphical style we eventually got, much the way I reacted to Windwaker after expecting the graphics shown in the E3 '00 video.
e300.jpg

Recently, however, the game has been looking more and more promising as I got used to the new graphical style. Using the Motion Plus controls promises the game to be what I was hoping Twilight Princess would be: 1 to 1 control of the sword. The greatest disappointment of the wii to me was the limitations to the motion controls. With Motion Plus, the Wii can finally be what it should have been.

Others have commented on (There's an entire thread about it at the moment) the stamina circle, saying that it will deter gameplay. After rewatching the footage of the game available, it really doesn't look like it will do this (much) and will be more like the diving meter from the N64 titles.

Though it does look promising, after more recent titles, I'm hesitant to get too excited for the game. With that said, the combination of all the different elements from other Zelda games into Skyward Sword sound intrigues me, and I'm planning on getting it the day it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom