• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Placement of 2D Games

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
^I'm not saying that this one reason, alone, would put MC first. I am merely stating that it's your OPINION that the hat is not significant whereas it is other people's OPINION that it is. You're acting as though there is no way in hell the hat is significant when the creators have never once confirmed that. In fact, there is a quote floating around by one developer (don't remember his name, SoJ would know this, though) who says that MC can be looked at as "the story of how Link gets his hat."

I don't necessarily listen to anyone other than Aonuma, but that is one Nintendo rep who would disagree with you on the topic of the hat being insignificant.

Why? Shigeru Miyamoto created the series, Aonuma didn't help on any Zelda game until OoT. And I will admit that hat is significant in the series when you prove to me it's all the same Link in every Zelda game...lol!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Why? Shigeru Miyamoto created the series, Aonuma didn't help on any Zelda game until OoT. And I will admit that hat is significant in the series when you prove to me it's all the same Link in every Zelda game...lol!

Exactly, Aonuma wasn't involved in the series until OoT. You do realize that MC was created long after OoT, right? Of course every Link isn't the same, but somewhere in the past there has to be a reason why each Link wears a green tunic and a green hat. The green tunic seems to be universally believed to derive from a uniform that old Hylian knights used to wear. The long, green hat has not been seen to be worn by a Hylian knight so the hat tradition has to come from somewhere. Here is a Zelda game where Link finds a hat-like creature (who is really a Picori) and when he saves this creature in the end he is given a hat. You don't seem to be seeing the connection here and you're making very broad arguments that aren't working well against my specific argument. What more proof do you need than a developer of MC stating that it can be viewed as AND I QUOTE "the story of how Link gets his hat."

Yes I REALIZE IT WAS CREATED AFTER OOT. And lets not act like Link is the only person in Hyrule to wear a tunic. Did you even read my post on the other page? I never said the hat was NOT significant in TMC. If you know anything about the Zelda series you should know that Nintendo always rehash previous ideas into the next title. Of course there is a connection, but a very small one. Something I do not find very significant to argue over. That would be like saying the Red and Blue rings in LoZ are related to the Goron and Zora tunics in OoT.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I suggest not talking to me like you know more about the series than myself.

You kinda started it by saying this

Ezlo actually isn't a hat, have you even played the game?

That was a pretty condescending/know it all statement that started this conversation we're currently having.

Did you even read my post on the other page? I never said the hat was NOT significant in TMC.

False, you did essentially say it was not significant in MC in the same post that I partially quoted above

Ezlo actually isn't a hat, have you even played the game? And you are looking way too far into this whole hat deal. It really isn't all that significant.

The only hat trend we were talking about was the hat trend from MC, then you came in and said it was not significant, and since the only game we were talking about is MC, one can conclude you were saying it's not significant in MC since you did not specify otherwise.

If you know anything about the Zelda series you should know that Nintendo always rehash previous ideas into the next title.

This is another example of you acting like you know more than me, not the other way around.

Yes, Nintendo does rehash ideas in every title, such as Link wearing a hat, but they don't have the same reason as to WHY he wears the hat, which was made clear when Trinen, I think his name was, said that MC can be viewed as the story of how Link gets his hat. I don't believe any developer has said that about any other of the Zelda titles. Post quotes if I'm wrong.

course there is a connection, but a very small one. Something I do not find very significant to argue over. That would be like saying the Red and Blue rings in LoZ are related to the Goron and Zora tunics in OoT.

When trying to form a timeline, any connection, big or small, should be taken into account no matter how significant or insignificant some believe it to be.

A developer implying that the hat in MC is the original het trend for the series is A LOT different than 2 rings that are the same color as 2 tunics with no developer quotes to back up any connection between them...

I said that original quote about it not being significant because there was talk about it being one of the reasons why TMC is the first in the timeline. And 2 rings that gives Link the same tunic colors in OoT is enough, it wasn't the color of the rings I was refering to, but what those rings did for Link.

Yes a lot of items are connected. Yes that hat could be the same one used by the next generation Links, but there is nothing to prove this. Just because some random developer provides a quote saying "this story is how Link gets his hat" that isn't enough. In game quotes are very useful in these situations. I only recall two games in which it was said Link obtains clothing from a past hero...TP and TWW (both refering to OoT). And if we want to argue about the tunic itself, well Link wore the green garment because it was the clothes of a Kokiri. Now I bet we will argue that the Picori and the Kokiri are related. Maybe so, maybe not, but that will be another time and place.

Last edited:
Dunno if this has been mentioned or not, but the 3 priestesses in Minish Cap (Farore, Din and Nayru) when you get their statue, it mentions for Nayru and Din their old town, Labyrinna and Hooldrum (whatever it was called D:) And that they came to Hyrule to find new homes.

So dunno if that affects the timeline of the 2d Zelda's but something to consider.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Yes a lot of items are connected. Yes that hat could be the same one used by the next generation Links, but there is nothing to prove this. Just because some random developer provides a quote saying "this story is how Link gets his hat" that isn't enough. In game quotes are very useful in these situations.

Well it helps that the hero in the BS of MC doesn't wear a hat. Every Zelda game that has talked about a past hero has always been referring to a past Link. If MC is talking about a past Link then it's a Link that didn't wear a green hat, which supports the idea of this being the first Link to wear a green hat and if it's not a past Link then that supports the idea of this being the first Link to go on an adventure to save Hyrule.

I'm not saying the hat is the only piece of evidence for this being the first game, but it's a much better piece of evidence than most give it credit for.

I only recall two games in which it was said Link obtains clothing from a past hero...TP and TWW (both refering to OoT). And if we want to argue about the tunic itself, well Link wore the green garment because it was the clothes of a Kokiri. Now I bet we will argue that the Picori and the Kokiri are related. Maybe so, maybe not, but that will be another time and place.

The fact that MC's Link gets the hat with no reasoning behind it of a past hero wearing it furthers the evidence that it's the first hat. The only reason he is given the hat in MC is because "it suits" him, as Ezlo says. Later on in the timeline, in the games that don't reference the tunic/hat it's a good possibility that it's because they get their outfits from Hylian knights who got their outfits from past Links and the legend of how the green tunic came to be just got lost somewhere along the way. Who is to say that the Kokiri didn't get the tunic/hat from MC Link? This isn't the time and place to talk about the Picori becoming the Kokiri, but that's always a fun theory to throw around.

Dunno if this has been mentioned or not, but the 3 priestesses in Minish Cap (Farore, Din and Nayru) when you get their statue, it mentions for Nayru and Din their old town, Labyrinna and Hooldrum (whatever it was called D:) And that they came to Hyrule to find new homes.

So dunno if that affects the timeline of the 2d Zelda's but something to consider.

Most people consider the figurines to just be easter eggs. If you look at the Blade Brothers figurine, most of the characters on the figurine look nothing like the actual Blade Brothers that are hidden throughout the game.

So? I wasn't saying it isn't significant in that game, it just isn't at all throughout the series. Link getting that hat does not make it the first Zelda title.

Bill Trinen, localizer for NoA, said that "TMC could be looked at as the origin for Link's cap".

It could easily be significant throughout the rest of the series.

^I didn't say it truly mattered. I take that quote with a very large grain of salt myself.

But I felt that it should be mentioned that isn't just a fans kooky theory that TMC is the origin of the hat.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Did you just quote something from NoA? Slap yourself please.

NoA = Slap.

Bill Trinen = NO SLAP.

He's seen the timeline document with his own eyes and works on making it a lot clearer. Bill Trinen is someone I trust.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!

I used a very solid argument in another thread before I left, so, I'll use it again.

The figurines say that ALL THE THREE girls DESCEND from a long line of Oracles, right?
Well, that doesn't mean that MC is after OoX, only proves that the line of Oracles from wich they descend managed to exist up until OoX.
When you think about it, it comes as a pretty simple explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom