• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT 100% Complete Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwdarthgandalf

The Hylian Loach isn't the "biggest fish". It is an "eel-like" fish. It goes around in the bottom of the pool, and you need the sinking lure to catch it. The man will only act surprised and give you 50 rupees when you catch it, so it isn't worth it to catch unless you are just going for the 100%. It is extremely difficult to find, and even harder to catch. The one time I saw it happened to be my first time at the pond, so the sinking lure wasn't in there. The easiest way to see if it is there is to wear iron boots and walk around the bottom. It looks a lot different than any other fish. You will know what I mean when you see it.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
The Hylian Loach isn't the "biggest fish". It is an "eel-like" fish. It goes around in the bottom of the pool, and you need the sinking lure to catch it. The man will only act surprised and give you 50 rupees when you catch it, so it isn't worth it to catch unless you are just going for the 100%. It is extremely difficult to find, and even harder to catch. The one time I saw it happened to be my first time at the pond, so the sinking lure wasn't in there. The easiest way to see if it is there is to wear iron boots and walk around the bottom. It looks a lot different than any other fish. You will know what I mean when you see it.

I'm so hungry i want to cook that fish :P anyway it is really difficult to find when you haven't obtain the iron boots.

Z

ZeldaNut

A) The running man CANNOT be beaten. He beats your time by 1 second every time because it's just a challenge to keep you trying to improve your own time in the race, since your best time is recorded and shown to you in your house in Kokiri Forest. You are just racing against yourself.

:cool: That number shown on your saved file is the number of deaths. It only counts it if you save after you die. If you die and you have a bottled fairy that resurrects you, it doesn't count as a death.

C) I'm pretty sure the Deku Nut upgrade becomes unavailable after you get the Poacher's Saw in the Lost Woods, as part of the Biggoron's Sword chain quest. The programmers accidentally used the same flag in the game status save data to mark the completion of the Deku Nut upgrade and the Poacher's Saw. So when you get the Poacher's Saw, the game mistakenly records that you have done the Deku Nut upgrade as well, even though you don't actually get the 10 extra Deku Nut capacity (that only happens when you actually collect the upgrade from the big Deku Scrub). Someone has a Youtube video showing the Poacher's Saw mess up the Deku Nut upgrade. It makes sense since game designers tend to lump all game data for a specific area together, and both of these things (the Deku Nut upgrade and the Poacher's Saw) are collected in the Lost Woods.

EDIT: Confirmed. Yes, getting the Poacher's Saw is the cause of the glitch. I tried it myself on the grey cartridge on the actual N64 console. Pulling the Master Sword to become an adult isn't the problem. The Deku Nut upgrade is still available. Getting the Poacher's Saw renders it unavailable.

So, yeah, you will have to start the game over and get this upgrade BEFORE you get the Poacher's Saw.

And I don't think it matters one bit what version you have. It's such a subtle and difficult to discover bug, that it was probably found a long time after the game was released. And why are people expecting the Virtual Console "version" to fix this problem? Nobody works on fixing bugs and glitches in old video games, unless there is a special new release like the Master Quest version for the GameCube. The Virtual Console "version" of the game is just THE game. It's not a remake or update of the game. It's the actual original game ROM. It's literally the contents of the old cartridge for Nintendo 64. And the Virtual Console is just an emulator; it behaves like the old video game consoles, and just runs old video games. That's why it's called the Virtual Console.

I assume the original Super Mario Bros. is on there too. Just like it is for NES emulators for your PC. Guess what? The old glitch, where you can get yourself through the left wall at the warp zone and head down the pipe before the warp zone labels are assigned (because you haven't scrolled the screen far enough yet), thus reaching a nonsense world NOTHING-DASH-1, the infamous "Minus World", would still be there. Because it's the original game, that glitch isn't fixed. None of them are. Same with Zelda: OoT. The game is the exact same one. You can jump-sword attack through walls too, I assume. Or make any inventory item a bottle by swinging a bottle to catch something, then switching to a non-bottle item in mid-swing. Those glitches would still be there too. Because it's the SAME GAME.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Well, as most have collaborated, there is NO possible way to beat the running man. Even if you hack it to make 0 seconds AND change his dialogue, he will still be there before you get there, no matter what he says, so....

Number of deaths. It only counts if you save, or if you continue, and later save. If you hit no to both options, reset your game from your last save point (or just don't die, :P) you'll have a 000.

No, the Deku Nut upgrade has nothing to do with the Poacher's Saw. It's an error that occurs exactly when you become an adult. This has been extensively tested and documented.

Also, the Hylian Loach CAN be caught without the sinking lure or Iron Boots, but it's VERY difficult. (I've tried for literally, probably all time combined, 12-15 hours, and accomplished it once.) But other (non-recordable, but personal accomplishments) things you can do are:
Sell 1 (or more) of every applicable items to the "Sell me something! With C! Sell me something!" guy.
Mask of truth and rocket away every Gossip Stone in the land.
Get the wrath of Cucoos, and have a survival endurance test to time yourself (without exploiting any of the circle-glitches).
Play the diving mini-game (after earning the silver scale) and get them all in the time limit.

More to come if I think of any. =]

Z

ZeldaNut

It IS the Poacher's Saw.

I pulled the Master Sword, later went back to childhood, and got the Deku Nut upgrade at the mask judges. I tested it, resetting my game to erase my Deku Nut upgrade, and saw that the upgrade was available again. Then I got the Poacher's Saw, and the upgrade was suddenly unavailable. I saw it myself. This was done a month ago on the grey cartridge on the actual N64.

If it is the pulling of the Master Sword that causes the upgrade to become unavailable, then why wasn't it the cause in my case? I doubt there are different screwed up versions with different versions of that bug. It's possible there is SOMETHING ELSE you can do that would cause the upgrade to become unavailable, but the pulling of the Master Sword ALONE doesn't cause it. The Deku STICK upgrade (wearing the Skull Mask at the mask judges) doesn't seem to have any problem at all. And getting this upgrade does not mess up the Deku Nut upgrade (for the Mask of Truth at the mask judges).

Justeazy, did you try it yourself? This extensive testing and documenting you cite doesn't sound very well done.

I challenge anyone to try it. Pull the Master Sword to become an adult. DO NOT get the Poacher's Saw. Come back later as a child with the Mask of Truth, and see if the Deku Nut upgrade at the mask judges is unavailable. I'll bet no one will have trouble getting the upgrade before getting the Poacher's Saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video showing exactly what ZeldaNut is describing with respect to the Deku Nut upgrade and the cause of it's so-called "disappearance".

[video=youtube;EXy7UU1VBOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXy7UU1VBOY&NR=1[/video]

Z

ZeldaNut

Thank you, BamaLynx.

Yeah, that's the YouTube video I saw. I think it removes all possible doubt that it's the Poacher's Saw that causes the glitch.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Justeazy, did you try it yourself? This extensive testing and documenting you cite doesn't sound very well done.

I challenge anyone to try it. Pull the Master Sword to become an adult. DO NOT get the Poacher's Saw. Come back later as a child with the Mask of Truth, and see if the Deku Nut upgrade at the mask judges is unavailable. I'll bet no one will have trouble getting the upgrade before getting the Poacher's Saw.
Well, yes, I have done it myself. Multiple times. In fact, most of the time I don't ever get the poacher's saw, as I never use the Biggoron's Sword. So unless I'm playing a 100% run it's never touched my inventory, yet every time if I go back and have tried to get it at the forest stage it won't be available. And on my uncle's game, according to him (don't play on his cartridge myself) it never happens; you can go back at any time and get the upgrade.

No, as you said before, the versions aren't necessarily different (other than what they removed from 1.0). However, it is possible that different batches came coded differently (ie sections of code were stored with other things instead of what they used to be). Nintendo has done it before with other games, so I see not why it can't be both ways with different cartridges. Sorry I just flat out said "no" before, but my own personal experience and what I had read on it (never really looked too much into it) had said otherwise.

Z

ZeldaNut

Wow, well, I guess there are different versions of that bug. Do you and your uncle have the limited edition gold carts or the grey ones?

I read there is version 1.0, which is I guess the gold cart, then two other versions in grey. They must have set up the data storage differently in different versions but never caught the bug in the code, which was probably unchanged.

Thanks for pointing out that there are these differences between versions. I assumed the people who said it was the Master Sword were just wrong. But I guess for a certain version, they were right.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
There are multiple versions of OoT, by region, console and content:
Japan - N64 1.0, GCN 1.2, MQ 1.2, Wii 1.2, 3DS 1.3
USA - N64 1.0, N64 1.1, N64 1.2, GCN 1.2, MQ 1.2, Wii 1.2, 3DS 1.3
Europe - N64 1.1 (or 1.2), N64 1.2 (if both are 1.2, then the second one have different date on debug menu screen), GCN 1.2, MQ 1.2, Wii 1.2, 3DS 1.3
You should check this glitch on EVERY version. But i think that the Poacher's Saw causes it in all versions (maybe OOT3D will be fixed?)

T

Thomas+Casey<3

the numbers beside your profile name: that's how many times you died trying to finish the game. They did that in Loz, Zelda II, ALTTP, LA, OoA, OoS, and MM.

WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW (kind of)

Alright so, after much gameplay I have finally gotten about 99% complete in Ocarina of Time. I just have a few questions.

A) Can you actually beat the running man? I have tried. It is hard. My record is like 1:24 but I went south of Lon-Lon Ranch instead of North (apparently that's faster?). Is it true there's no way to beat him without hax? I can't seem to get a constant answer from just googling it.

:cool: When selecting your profile, what's that number mean? Mine's 017. Hooray?

C) I hear a lot about a Deku Nut glitch, where you can't get the upgrade from the Mask of Truth at the forest stage after going into the future. They this was only on earlier versions. I have OoT on Virtual Console, yet it doesn't seem to be fixed. Is it?

So here's all the non-required stuff I have (everything I'm assuming): Biggoron's Sword, Mask of Truth, Gold bomb bag (max 40), Gold Quiver (max 50), Gold Pellet Bag (max 50), Gold Scale, Ice arrows, Fire arrows, 4 bottles, Fayore's Wind, Lanayru's Love, Max 30 Deku Nuts (see 'C'), Max 30 Deku Sticks, Epona, 100 SKulltula Tokens, 20 heart containers, all great fairy upgrades (I checked, I have 'em). If I missed something, mention it so I can add it to this list, because I've probably done it.

Thanks in advance.

A. No it is impossible to beat the running man

B. The number 17 means you died 17 times

C. The Deku Nut upgrade that I think you are talking about you get with the Mask of Truth but if you go too far into the game you can't go back and get it. I would get it right after beating the 3rd dungeon as a kid before becoming an adult.

Well you didn't mention Din's Fire. And there is the cow in your house that you can get. Also you missed a deku nut upgrade you can hold up to 40 of those. But if you are already at the end of the game chances are you can't go back to get and you'll have to start a new file. I know that sucks but I didn't program the game. That one Deku Nut upgrade is the only one that if you don't get it in a certain amount of time you can't come back to get it. Also it is not really necessary to get but you can get the sinking lure and steal the fisherman's hat. I'll post a few videos showing how to do all of this. You can also get the Hylia Loach using the sinking lure which is shown in a video below. But it is hard as hell and the fish barely even notices your lure even if you have the sinking lure. And if you don't catch it in time the fish will disappear from the pond and you'll have to start all over again. All get is freaking 50 rupees and bragging rights that you caught it not worth the hell of trying to catch it to me. I have instructions on how to get the fish to appear in the pond and how to get the sinking lure though. In the video of how to get the sinking lure.

All upgrades

[video=youtube;OBK7t4LYQgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBK7t4LYQgk[/video]

Malon's Racing Side-Quest

[video=youtube_share;Q12C3-9yiBE]http://youtu.be/Q12C3-9yiBE[/video]

How to get the sinking lure

[video=youtube;r_Wyg9WU_E4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Wyg9WU_E4[/video]

K

Kokirikid

I am also trying to do a 100% run on my oot 3ds masterquest, and I am having MAJOR difficulty locating all the gold skulltulas :/ it says on my map that I've missed one in the forest temple but I have looked everywhere and used a guide and cannot find it! Can someone recommend a really good indepth guide to help me please? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom