• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Play Control!

K

Karashimu

New Play Control!

New_Play_Control.jpg

The New Play Control! series, known in Japan as Wiiであそぶ (Wii de Asobu, Play on Wii), is a program by Nintendo to upgrade several GameCube games for release on the Wii. These re-releases will incorporate graphical improvements, which include 16:9 widescreen support. They will also feature reconfigured controls to fit the Wii Remote.

The first game scheduled for release for New Play Control! is Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on December 11, 2008 (2008-12-11) in Japan, followed by a new version of Pikmin on December 25, 2008 (2008-12-25) and Mario Power Tennis, also in Japan. Other games planned for release include Chibi-Robo!, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes — all scheduled for release in 2009. Both parts of Pikmin, Mario Power Tennis and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat are the only games in the group so far confirmed for an European and North American release, also scheduled for 2009.

The adaptations of the Pikmin games allow players to point-and-click with the Wii Remote to select and direct units. The adaptation of Mario Power Tennis draws on the swinging motions seen in Wii Sports, while it is also possible to move the character directly with the control stick. The adaptations for the Metroid Prime series are expected to use the remote to point and aim, as in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. An earlier prototype of the control scheme had already been used with Metroid Prime 2, back when the remote was first announced.

Some of the games will feature improvements beyond the graphics and control scheme. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat features new levels, modified level design for existing levels, and has more emphasis on traditional platform gameplay. Pikmin features a more flexible save game system, where players can restart play from prior in-game dates. Metroid Prime uses the achievements system from Metroid Prime 3 to unlock bonus content, as well as the ability to take snapshots.

List of games
Nintendo GameCube games currently planned for the New Play Control! range confirmed for release in Japan, Australia, Europe, and North America:
1. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
2. Pikmin
3. Mario Power Tennis
4. Metroid Prime
5. Pikmin 2
6. Chibi-Robo!
7. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Kazumi

chagy
I'm really quite excited about these re-releases. Especially Pikmin and Metroid, as, I don't own a GameCube, I couldn't play these games, and getting a controller and memory card for my Wii is quite a hassle. I also love how they're adding new things, it's not just a plain old port. It would be nice to have games like WW and FSA on here, I just hope they add more soon.

I'ooking forward to these games too. Donkey Kong: Junglebeat is one of my top 10 games for the Game Cube, and playing it again on the Wii is going to bring a mess load of memories back.

Amelie

Air Dancer
I have never really played Metroid before but this will give me a reason to start ^^ I will probably get Mario Power tennis because the only Mario Tennis I own is the first one on N64.

Is anyone else mad about this?
I like when games are re released as much as the next person,but these are the same games only with Wii controls added on to them.
I would rather have Nintendo spending there time working on new games,then working on these half-*** remakes.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I'll probably just get the metroids for the sake of my collection;)

I just hope they keep those covers for europe, they are awesome(regarding the primes).

I might also try the Pikmins

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Is anyone else made about this?
I like when games are re released as much as the next person,but these are the same games only with Wii controls added on to them.
I would rather have Nintendo spending there time working on new games,then working on these half-*** remakes.
I agree. You could just buy the gamecube version (which also works on the Wii) for half the price. Things like better save points in Pikmin should've been in there since the start. Why couldn't they put the two Pikmin games on one disc? I'm not gonna buy the same game twice either. I suppose it's good for people who are new to gaming and want to try some more complex games. There's really no reason to buy these games again otherwise.

Amelie

Air Dancer
Im not made about it.. mad maybe.. the only one I want is the tennis. The new screen resulution is nice and the Wii controls. I like to think Nintendo are taking there time on the next games.. And they are just releasing these to keep us busy.. or just for more money.. remember.. there is NO such thing as a company that is not greedy!

This sounds awesome. I love Mario Power Tennis on the gamecube and I think it will be a fun experience on the wii. I have not yet played the Metroid Prime series so I think that I should just pick it up if and when they are all on the wii.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I'd love to play all of these games with Wii controls, but I don't know I should spend my money buying games that I already have. Pikmin I might get, but if I do, it'd only be the first one.

If Metroid Prime 2 still includes multiplayer, then I will probably get it. Despite the fact that I have it for the GC. I love playing the multiplayer mode with my friends, and this way we could play it with better controls, and I don't have to spend another 60$ on GC controllers.

So I guess I'm excited about it. I'm interested in seeing how much better than the originals these are.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I don´t like the controlls so I wont bother getting a game I already have or could get for my gamecube. I´m a classic gamer and I want the controlls as retro as possible ;)

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I got Pikmin on New Play Control! two years ago. Metroid Prime and Prime 2 Echoes would be nice but I already have them on the GameCube (maybe for collections though...) and I'm interested in Mario Power Tennis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom