• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Member Here with a Question

C

Crazy Abo

What's up guys! I wanted your opinion on Phantom of the Hourglass and The Spirit Tracks. I haven't played any of the two games yet because I practically know nothing about them so what I wanna know is how good they are. I did enjoy Link's Awakening, Minish Cap and both the Oracle games. In fact, I've played and enjoyed EVERY other Zelda game so chances are these two games are pretty good. But how good? Please share your opinions, and if you want to, compare them to the other games so that I'll know more specifically the details of them. But please, no spoilers! Thanks!

David

But you called me here...
Well, first off, I really liked the two games even thought I didn't find them too challenging. I really prefer a challenging game. But I think that if you give PH and ST a try, you'll like them. Especially if you like all of the other games. They both have pretty decent story lines and they have enough action. Only down side that most people don't like are the the controls are centered on the touch screen. But after a while, you'll get used to them. I really enjoyed the two games and there are plenty of side quests to the games if that's what you like. So, go ahead and get them and you'll probably enjoy them!

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
well they are both great games, both have great story and good gameplay, i cant mention graphic though. But as cool as this games are they do not represent a challenge to anyone (like you) that has played a lot of Zeldas, knowing the basic structure of a Zelda game makes PH and ST easy as pie.

If you dont know the stucture here it is:

Event-Temple-Weapon-Boss-Event So yep if you completly understand this you are gonna enjoy this 2 games more than others.

Hope I helped, and Welcome to ZD

ApcolypticMufin

Fan of Zelda & Bioshock!
First off, welcome to ZD!

Now onto the topic at hand. Both of the DS installments in the Zelda franchise are definitely worth your time. While they're technically both part of the Wind Waker trilogy, you won't really have to play PH in order to understand ST. But, to fully enjoy ST, I'd recommend having played WW beforehand. Most Zelda fans prefer ST over PH (myself included) but both are definitely up the alley of an avid Zelda fan! If you own a DS, get both! If you can only afford one, I'd probably recommend ST. Hope you enjoy them! :D

Welcome to ZD!

Phantom Hourglass was extremely fun playing a third time through for some reason. It was ok the first time but it kinda stuck its charm on me after I played through it a couple times. Its actually a very fun and charming game once you have the idea that its a 2D game with 3D graphics and just love it for what it is. Spirit Tracks was very really unique and charming but has uneven progression and is definately slow in areas which can wreck the experience slightly. But it is more difficult than PH which is quite nice. Hope this helps.

benjibibbles

Disastrous Waffle Person
I liked PH and ST. Both made excellent use of the DS's features without drawing the line of, as a Sony fanboy would say, "gimmicky". The vehicle systems are very good but the ST vehicle system does cover the fact that there are not a heap of locations. I found the stylus controls quite acceptable, but by no means the best. The graphics are alright but any real gamer shouldn't really care. Out of the two I would recommend PH more but they're both very good games.

Alar

Clothed in Green
Here's an idea since both of them are as good why not flip a coin or something like that because i do truly believe they are both good

i definitely would go with ST. PH had a lot of problems with things like the temple of the ocean king and the ship being very boring. ST improved on both of these in many ways. the part with controlling the knight was really fun, too.

M

Michh13

Hey! :)

Well now I'm new too so I'm in the same boat as you, though on the other hand, I only have a DS and a playstation 2 and Phantom Hourglass is my first Zelda game ever and I haven't finished it yet, in fact I'm still pretty close to the start and I'm really bad at video games, however I am addicted! I love it! Though this is comming from someone who has only ever compleated one video game before and that was using alot of cheats...

Either way I'm liking it, which is probably why I was playing it until 1am... ha ha :)

M

Michh13

Ha ha I thought it was cute, it only took a minute so it didn't annoy me or anything. I just finished batteling the first boss, I admit I got stuck at one point to the point where I had to get on youtube and look up a walk through because I got lost. And I wonder why my mum is worried about me getting my license! ha ha :)

Can't really say anything about Spirit Tracks because I haven't played it and I haven't finished Phantom Hourglass yet, though because it's my first game I may end up bias

Alar

Clothed in Green
PH had a lot of problems with things like the temple of the ocean king.
The temple of the ocean king was not boring it was a very detailed dungeon with a lot of hidden areas and completing it with as little time in the Hourglass was quite challenging i got about 6 secs of life drained.
Well some people found it boring and i can see why but, don't let that deter you from buying this awesome game.
I've changed my mind now get Phantom Hour glass

Q

quick12

I haven't played Spirit Tracks, but Phantom Hourglass is definitely a great game. I particularly enjoyed some the the dungeons and bosses. I have even been working harder at completing it's sidequests than I have been at Twilight Princess. I think the best part about it is how the touch contols allow you to contol all of the items with more precision than would be possible with the D-pad. Some fans may complain that the touch controls aren't as good as D-pad controls, but I for one disagree.

M

Michh13

I haven't played Spirit Tracks, but Phantom Hourglass is definitely a great game. I particularly enjoyed some the the dungeons and bosses. I have even been working harder at completing it's sidequests than I have been at Twilight Princess. I think the best part about it is how the touch contols allow you to contol all of the items with more precision than would be possible with the D-pad. Some fans may complain that the touch controls aren't as good as D-pad controls, but I for one disagree.

Being someone who is not very video game savvy (Phantom Hourglass being my first real video game ever since I was little and played pokemon on my gameboy) I found the touch controls very helpful because it gave me one less thing that I had to be worried about thinking about because I didn't have to learn what was square and triangle and x ect (can you tell I don't have many games?)

Shnappy

derp
PH, for me, was a very hard game to get used to. Controlling him with only the stylus felt very unnatural for me. After a while, though, I was used to this and actually started to enjoy the game. The dungeons have pretty cool puzzles and boss fights have very good top-bottom screen cooperation. However, comparing it to the rest of the Zelda games, it was quite bland. There was very little in the story that was interesting to me, and for the whole game I was just going through the motions, pretty much. For me, it was a nice little game to play for about a week but provided little more satisfaction than that. I say that you should buy PH, since you could probably find it pretty cheap somewhere like Gamestop. If you really enjoy the game, then you should go for ST as well. I have not played ST, but I will assume the gameplay aspects to be similar to that of PH, so I think that if PH is your cup of coffee, than ST will be as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom