• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mother 3

with the 3ds having virtual console for game boy, do you think they should translate mother 3 and send it are way?

While the game is nice in all fairness (I really don't like Mother 3 that much), there are a couple of problems.
A) Music-- I advise the viewing of this video to get the idea:

Most of those songs are copyrighted, and those copyrights are owned by many separate companies, so purchasing every license would be a REAL pain.
:cool: Earthbound is a generally underground game; there are a lot of fans, but most other people would dismiss the game as alien and wouldn't experiment with their wallet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeroOfLime

Excelling in Mediocrity
While the game is nice in all fairness (I really don't like Mother 3 that much), there are a couple of problems.
A) Music-- I advise the viewing of this video to get the idea:

Most of those songs are copyrighted, and those copyrights are owned by many separate companies, so purchasing every license would be a REAL pain.

That's the point, the game parodies modern (for it's time) society. You really think they think they could get away with a bat character using batman's theme? And as long as they don't use the actual song they don't need to buy the licenses (I think, I'm no lawyer.)

I personally love the Mother series and believe your idea is genius. I would buy 3d Mother 3 in a heart-beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the point, the game parodies modern (for it's time) society. You really think they think they could get away with a bat character using batman's theme? And as long as they don't use the actual song they don't need to buy the licenses (I think, I'm no lawyer.)

... Don't say things that you aren't familiar with, please.
There's a line that copyrights have. If a movie, game, or song takes a portion of a copyrighted work (without permission of course), that counts as liable for suing. The bat theme, for instance, plagiarises the essential melody (main notes in a song that you hear) of the 1960's Adam West Batman TV program theme. However, this doesn't mean that if a melody is 'similar' to another, it would be liable. If a song/movie/game has enough different parts in it from the original (I don't know the exact amount, but I know there to be a specific amount) then the s/m/g is excused.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I don't see it happening. The main reason that kept Shigesato Itoi (who is the driving force behind the franchise) from TRYING to release the game in America was the fact that most of the songs used in the game are copyrighted, meaning that he'd have to change the songs a lot to prevent the game from causing lawsuits on Nintendo (which, even if they won, they'd still lose money because they'd have to hire laywers). Shigesato Itoi forsaw this (either that or Nintendo's legal department/whatever did) and decided that he didn't want to mess with the game's music (which I think was a wise thing to do).

Sure, every EarthBound fan around would go crazy and insta-buy it (including me even though I've got the handy dandy fan translation), but most people probably haven't even HEARD of the EarthBound games (even those who've played Smash Bros, although they're probably less likely to not know about the games than other people, and trust me, I know because I used to be one of those people) and probably wouldn't be too keen on investing money in a game they've 1) Never heard of and 2) Think is very quirky and strange (that actually put me off when I saw chuggaaconroy's EarthBound and MOTHER Let's Plays because it was so strange and boring to me, one of the biggest mistakes of my life).

Despite the fact that I say that Mother 3 probably won't come to America officially in the form of a 3DS release, I personally am praying to god that the planets align and bring Mother 3 to America officially.

I want to play Earthbound 3! I would buy it. I never played Earthbound before but i would play it and buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom