• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Sword Location in ALttP, Oot, TP

Alright. I know the geography in Hyrule has been the basis on many timeline theories. Something has come to my attention. in both OoT and TP, the master sword is found in the "temple of time". the TP version is all overgrown and dilapidated, so it is further along on the timeline. But in alttp, you get the master sword in the middle of the forest, with no temple of time or anything. I'm pretty sure aLttP happens after Oot in most timelines (cant be sure right now) so whats the deal with that? did the people of hyrule build the temp. of time, tear it down, then rebuild it? can someone explain that to me? of course i may have my facts wrong..

T

The Hero of Pie

I believe the resting place of the Master Sword in ALttP is the same place as in TP and OoT. A commonly referenced page explains this adequately:
Could it also be possible that an earlier Hyrule Castle (presented in Ocarina of Time) has been destroyed at some point prior to Twilight Princess, with a new Hyrule Castle having been built farther east, closer to where Lon Lon Ranch once stood? If so, this could explain the ruins found all throughout Twilight Princess‘ Lost Woods, including the ruins of the Temple of Time. Later, then, we would find that these are the same Lost Woods found in A Link to the Past and that the only thing left of the ruins of the Temple of Time is the dias and pedestal where Link discovers the Master Sword.
Basically, as the geography changes and time goes on, the Master Sword's resting place never moves significantly between OoT-TP-ALttP. This is a strange way of putting it, but Hyrule moves around it almost.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Before anyone else posts you really should look at the page in the "commonly referenced page" I got nothing to say after looking at it

Crono

Hylian Rebel
The Temple of Time was built near the Sacred Forest Meadow which resides next to the Lost Woods. There was originally a secret path to the Temple of Time via the Lost Woods in OoT, but later got removed. This is why the ToP in TP resides in the Sacred Grove near the Lost Woods, it never changed location.

Pinecove

Last Chance
This is why the ToP in TP resides in the Sacred Grove near the Lost Woods, it never changed location.

You mean the ToT right? :P
In all honesty, the location doesn't matter much as the lost woods stretch all across Hyrule.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
@TS: By "after OoT" do you mean between OoT and TP? That placement is incorrect. LttP goes sometime after TP or sometime after WW. So the progression ToT->ruins->pedestal in woods makes sense, and the ToT wouldn't need to be torn down for LttP then rebuilt for TP. The only issue, then, is the location that the others are talking about.

Pinecove

Last Chance
The only issue, then, is the location that the others are talking about.

The lost woods stretch across all of Hyrule (as established by the paths to multiple places in OoT): FACT
The Temple of Time is at the edge of the lost woods: FACT
You can get lost and not know your exact location in the lost woods: FACT

Conclusion: The Lost woods stretch all across Hyrule .'. the ToT being in the wrong position between TP and ALttP doesn't make a difference, as the ToT may be in an entirely different position from what we see.

T Edoc

Made AluminiumMasterSword
Romani Ranch, Termina (Hopefully...*sigh*)
That lost woods stretching across all of Hyrule thing is pretty bold. I guess it deserves attention.

But I personaly rather think that the temple of Time in OoT and the one in TP aren't the same. No matter how the Lost Woods may look like from Link's view, the map clearly shows the temple to be in Hyrule Castle Town, way North to the Lost Woods, in OoT. Then TP map shows it in the very South, in those woods.

If we compare ALttP and OoT maps, the Temple of Time is at the same place (considering the Sacred Grove is the remain of the prior Temple of Time). But woods cover that place. I don't think those Lost Woods are the same, but rather that those have grown there after everything got ruined because of the seism thing that caused the rivers to be deeper, and then the cracks in TP's Hyrule (and other common seism-result things :-)

Then the Temple would have been rebuilt in the south, in the original Lost Woods. It's noticeable that in OoT it is stated that the Sages built the temple of time, but then, in TP, it is stated the Ooccas did. What about that?

Pinecove

Last Chance
But I personaly rather think that the temple of Time in OoT and the one in TP aren't the same. No matter how the Lost Woods may look like from Link's view, the map clearly shows the temple to be in Hyrule Castle Town, way North to the Lost Woods, in OoT. Then TP map shows it in the very South, in those woods.

TP's map is a retcon of OoT's. It doesn't matter where the lost woods are shown because they end up somewhere else eventually.

Then the Temple would have been rebuilt in the south, in the original Lost Woods. It's noticeable that in OoT it is stated that the Sages built the temple of time, but then, in TP, it is stated the Ooccas did. What about that?

The ToT in TP is implied to have been created by the ancient sages by just looking at the walls.

T Edoc

TP's map is a retcon of OoT's. It doesn't matter where the lost woods are shown because they end up somewhere else eventually.
When I place my cursor on the lost woods in both past and future (TP), it says 'Sacred Grove'. You know, that part where a the plan of a temple is drawn on the map...

The ToT in TP is implied to have been created by the ancient sages by just looking at the walls.
So the Sages were Ooccas. :-D That sounds actualy possible to me.
Anyway, Rusl surely didn't lie. He said the ancient civilisation - which he describes the same way Shad does - built the temple. That's even more confirmed by the fact that the ancient object that civilsation made - the Copy Rod - was located there, and that's what Oocco was looking for. :-)

Pen

The game is on!
At the end of OoT we can see Link replacing the Master Sword in the ToT as a child, so it ain't strange that we later on find the Master Sword in the Sacred Grove (the ruins of the ToT) in TP.
At the adult side of the timeline however, we don't know what Link doe's with the Master Sword, but obviously he left it in the Lost Woods somewhere cause that's where we find it in ALttP.
:triforce:

Pinecove

Last Chance
So the Sages were Ooccas. :-D That sounds actualy possible to me.
Anyway, Rusl surely didn't lie. He said the ancient civilisation - which he describes the same way Shad does - built the temple. That's even more confirmed by the fact that the ancient object that civilsation made - the Copy Rod - was located there, and that's what Oocco was looking for. :-)

Actually, I was saying that maybe BOTH built the temple of time? After all, the part that seems to be most Oocca influenced is the dungeon. Whereas the main part (with the master sword) may be sage created. Also I think I remember a quote from Aonuma confirming you traveled back to how the ToT was in OoT. I'll search for it for you.

@ The lost woods argument, I've conceded to this on ZU.

T Edoc

At the end of OoT we can see Link replacing the Master Sword in the ToT as a child, so it ain't strange that we later on find the Master Sword in the Sacred Grove (the ruins of the ToT) in TP.
At the adult side of the timeline however, we don't know what Link doe's with the Master Sword, but obviously he left it in the Lost Woods somewhere cause that's where we find it in ALttP.
:triforce:
Nothing strange, apart the fact the Sacred Grove in TP is far from the place the Temple of Time was in OoT. :-)
That's why I think ALttP occurs in the Child Timeline, its Sacred Grove being the OoT Temple of Time. The temple would then have been rebuilt, and felt into ruins again, but less ruined anyway.
Of course I may be wrong.

Actually, I was saying that maybe BOTH built the temple of time? After all, the part that seems to be most Oocca influenced is the dungeon. Whereas the main part (with the master sword) may be sage created. Also I think I remember a quote from Aonuma confirming you traveled back to how the ToT was in OoT. I'll search for it for you.
Yeah, or both. I had thought of that possibility too.
Hopefully you find that quote, it might answer questions (even if Aonuma sometimes contradicts himself as well as games events...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom