• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Magic Meter

whiteknight455

The Zelda Nerd
Okay so we saw that the bar is the sheild bar but maybe later in the game you get the magic bar later on like in WW. I mean this could happen because we have only seen the begining of the game.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
well... that seems very likely, but if they were going to incorporate Magic into this game, Nintendo would've showed us at some point Link using magic. but maybe that's what the Fungal Spores are for, they replace the magic jugs/jars.

all we can do is wait. ^^

I like the Magic Meter, hopefully it is in SS. It added some strategic placement of what you want to put in your bottles.

Ganondork

goo
Magic sounds like an odd, hastily added component in SS if it's in there. I don't think it would, though. I only think it's the shield meter, as JuicieJ has already stated. As much as I'd like magic in another game, SS isn't the one I'd enjoy it in.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
It's a shield meter. That was stated in a demo video. The shields will break after taking enough damage, and Link will have to buy a new one. However, the Hylian Shield appears to be unbreakable.
what he's saying is that sometime during the game you get another meter for magic.

Djinn

and Tonic
The way things are set up, I believe this game is going to be very heavy on the physical combat over magical combat. Nintendo has done a lot of work on the 1:1 sword controls and added a few interesting aspects to swordfighting with enemies with things like blocking and aiming. As well as unique shields that have various strengths and weaknesses, I believe this Link will be much more of a fighter than the previous Links of other games. So it would make sense this time to not have a magic meter, although that might mean no fire or ice arrows again. They were very rarely used in previous games anyway, and it looks like more mechanical items like the beetle are going to be more important.

Really the only form of magic that I think would be interesting for this game is something more along the lines of the Wind Waker Baton that requires a specific swing or gesture to create any effects. Having the Wind Waker itself might not work since there was a game revolved around it, maybe some other type of wand that is capable of doing things like moving statues or large rocks like the Dominion Rod of TP. Even the Dominion Rod might make an appearance. It would be interesting to see that used in it's era. Plus I think being able to move statues a little or or a lot based on my movements with the wiimote would be more fun.

BUT couldn't the lack of a magic meter mean infinite Sword Beams? That could potentially spell disaster in the wrong hands, and trim a bit away from the experience of the new system of sword combat they have established (just to be clear, this is only assuming Sword Beams actually utilize magic meter). Will Sword beams perhaps be removed from the game?

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
Ahh, but sword beams, like everything else, will probably use the stamina feature. That's currently nintendo's fail-safe to prevent infinite actions.

Djinn

and Tonic
BUT couldn't the lack of a magic meter mean infinite Sword Beams? That could potentially spell disaster in the wrong hands, and trim a bit away from the experience of the new system of sword combat they have established (just to be clear, this is only assuming Sword Beams actually utilize magic meter). Will Sword beams perhaps be removed from the game?

Not necessarily, you had infinite sword beams in the original LoZ, AoLm and ALTTP as long as you had full health. SS seems to have more of a ritual by requiring the player to raise the sword in the air, charge the sword, then shoot it at the enemy. This sounds like it might be useful on paper but during combat you do not always have the time to do this before an enemy attacks you while your guard is down. To me this only seems like a good way to start a fight when walking up to an enemy that has not noticed me yet. But not too useful in combat. Just like the spin attack in previous games, the chargeup time for it left you open to attack for a little too long to use while in combat. Same for the Midna attack with Wolf Link, you were going to get hurt attempting it most of the time.

M

Morningspirit23

To me, at the beginning, the MM isn't really useful, because I'm one of the few people who don't use the spin attack unless it's to cut grass, smash pots, or the like. I only started really worrying about it in the Ice Cavern due to Din's Fire, and that was after the upgrade.

Not necessarily, you had infinite sword beams in the original LoZ, AoLm and ALTTP as long as you had full health. SS seems to have more of a ritual by requiring the player to raise the sword in the air, charge the sword, then shoot it at the enemy. This sounds like it might be useful on paper but during combat you do not always have the time to do this before an enemy attacks you while your guard is down. To me this only seems like a good way to start a fight when walking up to an enemy that has not noticed me yet. But not too useful in combat. Just like the spin attack in previous games, the chargeup time for it left you open to attack for a little too long to use while in combat. Same for the Midna attack with Wolf Link, you were going to get hurt attempting it most of the time.

Leave it to you Djinn. Thanks, you put it all in perspective. :)

I believe the Sword Beams might make use of the stamina meter as well (as someone stated). Also, the Sword Spin from previous 3D installments in the series could be performed near-instantaneously; it only has a small learning curve. ...and Sword Beams were used liberally in the first few videos of SS. This may only be for demo purposes and what not, though.

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
I'd almost be willing to bet that not only do you have to raise and charge the sword, but you need to be at full health, too. That just seems traditional for a Zelda game. Plus, it would make it more of a reward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom