• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Longer Cutscenes in Zelda?

As a gamer the thing i play for first and foremost is the story and since my youth Metroid and Zelda have been my favourites games to play for that reason.

There are games out there however that have more focus on story than Zelda and Metroid like Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed.
What i also enjoy are long cutscenes, Metroid Other M and the Metal Gear series has this down among others but what if Zelda employed this notion?

Looking at previous Zelda games like WW, TP and SS, the cutscene have been getting longer and to me, especially in Zelda, the cutscenes let the magic bleed through, we see Link's face and his expressions more and we see characters and magic doing what they do best.

But what about you, would you like longer cutscenes in Zelda in the future?
Do you even like cutscenes found in the more recent Zelda titles?
Do you enjoy cutscenes at all?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It really depends on the quality of the cutscenes. It was really noticeable how much longer most of Skyward Sword's cutscenes were than in previous games -- even Twilight Princess -- but they were always so beautifully rendered that it never bothered me. If they hadn't been as good as they were, though, it WOULD HAVE bothered me (like in Other M). So, honestly, I can't say I want them to get longer or shorter. What really matters to me is if they get BETTER, and I don't think we'll be needing to worry about that. That's happened with literally every subsequent 3D release.

So as for them getting longer? Well, if they get better (which they will), I'm fine with it, but I wouldn't need them to be longer at the same time. Just better is all.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You first sentence is an oxymoron, but yeah, I wouldn't mind longer cutscenes.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This is a good question :)

I think I have said this time and time again but I think cut-scenes not only add to the game in presentation aspects but they help add to the narrative and emotion of the story! With the more recent 3D Zelda games we have come to see more and more cut-scenes and may I say....I have really enjoyed not only the way cut-scenes were used but they really helped to add to the impact on the story! Twilight Princess executed this very effectively and with such epic scenes as the final cut-scenes as well as the Colin kidnap scene! But as you said the question is...Longer cut-scenes?

Now in my opinion I think that Nintendo are now really starting to focus on the narrative of the story....We have had a few sequels as well as a definitive prequel to the series, so I think that we are going to see more focus on cut-scenes. However there are a few problems with this! For one it could cut away from the main gameplay and make the player feel disconnected from the game and if we get lonter cut scenes this could infact cause many people to get frustrated!

Overall I think moderation needs to be taken into account...Certainly we should have small cut-scenes throughout the game but the longer more effective cut-scenes should take place during key events within the plot! If we have nice balance of gameplay with cut-scenes and as you said the idea of "longer cut-scenes" I would love to see this in future titles!

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I do not want longer cutscenes. I think that the cutscenes in the latest Zelda games have been the perfect length.
I do like the cutscenes in recent Zelda games.
I enjoy the cutscenes.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I like some cutscences but I don't want them too long because then it becomes like an unwanted interruption from gameplay itself. I think I'd rather have more shorter cutscenes.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I like cutscenes, mostly because story is a big thing for me. Also they add to character development, story progression and all that good stuff. I think the cutscenes should just be as long as the situation calls for, and as long as they continue to be well done, I'm totally fine with longer cutscenes. In fact, I applaud them :clap:

While I'm not a huge fan of long cutscenes, I would be alright with them if they were skippable.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Longer cutscenes could mean more fleshing out of characters and scenes.

But how much of that would mean taking that creativity out of the player's hands?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way.

As long as they're skippable, I wouldn't mind. Probably my main annoyance with SS was that the first hour of the game felt like almost all cutscene with a bit of gameplay in between to me, and I couldn't skip any of it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You first sentence is an oxymoron
v @ DL lol

Anyway, no, I completely object to longer cutscenes. I didn't complain about the no skip feature in Skyward Sword just because I thought the story was boring and totally unrealistic, y'know. I complained because the scenes are simply too long. Yeah, games like MGS have horridly long scenes, but those are made more tolerable with the engaging story. Nintendo simply isn't a story-telling company; they're made for gameplay and that's that.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
GTFO!!!

No No No NO NO!! Pretentious, nonsensical, long, drawn out dull as paste wooden dialog pointless exposition cutscenes be d@mned!!

I want to play my video games not watch some $#%@ poor lame @$$ pathetic excuse for what passes for some hack as a "story". Video game "writers" cannot write for $h!t and the Japanese are the worst in this regard. I look at Kojima's hour plus long video game cutscenes and I just think the man needs to go and look for something else to do. His "unique" idea of "storytelling" has no place in the Zelda series.

JRPGs are failing at large because of conventions like this. If you look at (mildly) successful recent JRPGs such as Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII (okay, maybe not so much the latter) they keep their cutscenes short and to the point. In video games you don't even need cutscenes to deliver exposition.

There is absolutely no benefit to be had from over exposed cram-it-down-the-viewer's-throat (because, srsly, if you're not playing your video game you're watching it). "Game" makers who do this come off as arrogant, pretentious and are just missing the point of what a video game is.

Nobody likes it when Fi pops up and pauses the game so needlessly as often as she does, who wants to get bogged down in 40 minute long cutscenes?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I think the length of the cutscenes found in Skyward Sword was good. I wouldn't want them much longer than that. I do enjoy cutscenes, and hope they continue to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom