• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Items in TP

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
I thought TP had great new items, especially the spinner. I thought it was the coolest Zelda item yet(Zelda Wii will probably have better though). I thought it was very cool how you used it to defeat Stallord. The ball and chain was massively powerful with the ability to break ice chunks and rocks. The double clawshot was very cool too. I loved how it felt like you were flying through the air. The single was a lot like the hookshot though, yet the double was completely different. I thought the dominian rod was ok. At first it looked like it was pretty cool, but moving the statues was a real pain!

Summing it all up, I thought that TP had very cool new items, and I look forward to seeing even better in Zelda Wii.

Please comment. Thanks!

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Have you ever even played MC? Gust Jar, Cane of Pacci, Mole Mitts, new use for the Lantern, Roc's Cape, not feather mind you, and shrinking? You honestly need to play this game more.

And other games had great items too. Sorry, not trying to be offensive. I'm actually not being. So, I thought that they were all great too and I look forward to seeing great in ZW also, but still.... Double Clawshot was total Spiderman rip off. But it was cool none the less.

Yeah there were a lot of sweet items in Twilight Princess for sure. I would've liked to see the Mirror Shield though. Oh well. The Spinner battle with Stallord was really awesome though.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I thought TP was rather weak on items, actually. They make the Boomerang essentially useless for that purpose and have it work more like a Deku Leaf or Pocket Whirlwind. They include a Slingshot that you really don't need, but that takes up an item slot for the whole game. They include a lamp that takes up oil, makes torch puzzles too easy, and forces you to worry about dark rooms and oil (which is a rather arbitrary dynamic that doesn't take any skill to deal with). I thought the lamp was silly in ALttP (I preferred the Fire Rod), and I hate it even more now. The Double Clawshot is good, but you get it so late in the game that you don't have to use it often, and it's always obvious where it is meant to be used. Also, it's not terribly different from the normal Clawshot... it just effectively lets you use it again while suspended.

On the other hand, we do have some interesting items like the Ball & Chain, and the Spinner. Both of those items actually did impress me. I've wanted a Ball & Chain ever since ALttP, and the place where I get it actually reminds me of where you see your first Ball & Chain Trooper in ALttP (though it might be a coincidence). The Spinner is just incredibly creative. You can jump between tracks to avoid things, jump off at just the right time and spin free, and even hit enemies with it. I just wish I'd gotten it earlier, and gotten to use it more.

I suppose part of me is disappointed in the lack of magical items. I heard someone say that they're trying to make Link "more mechanical and less magical," and I really don't care for that at all. One of the reasons I respected Link was because I thought of him as more than just your typical warrior-type, because he was also attuned to magic and spirits. Then again, he IS just a ranch hand in TP... I don't suppose we could expect him to have the same level of wisdom previous Links have had. That's probably why Midna has to explain so many obvious things to him.

I suppose part of me is disappointed in the lack of magical items. I heard someone say that they're trying to make Link "more mechanical and less magical," and I really don't care for that at all. One of the reasons I respected Link was because I thought of him as more than just your typical warrior-type, because he was also attuned to magic and spirits. Then again, he IS just a ranch hand in TP... I don't suppose we could expect him to have the same level of wisdom previous Links have had. That's probably why Midna has to explain so many obvious things to him.

I do agree that the lack of a Magic Bar was rather disappointing, when you look at what a real warrior used to be, they used to be couragous and the strongest of men, they never really used magic except for a few in myths. Warriors used to be spiritual but that's because of relgion and to do with the Gods, gods used to be taken very seriously by all people as beings that could change the course of a battle/war so it doesn't bother me to see it gone, it made Link feek more of a real warrior to me. Also...OoT Link had a decent amount of magical skills and all he used to do was hang around a forest with a bunch of none magical children and a tree :P.

Back on topic, I was more disappointed by the items in Twilight Princess because of the frequency we got to use them, I liked them all in design as they we well though up items but when I found that outside of their respective temples we rarely got to use them I was quite annoyed (the only item I frequently used was the Hero's Bow and Clawshots). It was just annoying how little we got to use them. It would have been awesome if the last Temple you had to use them all frequently through out but we didn't :(.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The real disappointment about the items in TP was of course, the lack of a magic bar. The possibilities of new spells were endless; especially the return of the awesome Din's fire. However, the other items were good as well. My favorite ones to toy around with were the Ball and Chain. I caused so much destruction with it that I couldn't believe that anything would stand. I also enjoyed to play with the bow and arrow mixed with the goggles. Playing sniper was fun on the field and taking out Moblins with head shots was awesome. Then there were the bomb arrows, hehehe. If you see any scorch marks in Hyrule, they're mine.

I disliked the boomerang here. It was useless, (as athen stated.) All it was, was a bloody gust of wind that barely phased your opponents and that was it. Then there was the clawshot. It tried to replace my hoookshot, but with it's lack of good places to latch on, tsk tsk. You disappointed me clawshot.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
The thing is that the way the games are going, Link will eventually end up carrying the stupidist things as items.
Forget Balls on Chains and Spinners, eventually he will be carrying Cannons, Furniture, infinite rupee's... heck if there's any room in the pack left by the end then why not but Epona in there to!
Haha, to be honest the unrealistic item carrying will always be tradition in Zelda.

I love in The Legend of Neil how in one episode he just puts things above his head and puts it in his inventory after episodes of carrying them around. And reaching up to try and grab the right item. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom