• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Is this a joke?

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
Dude.

The only joke is Zelda Wii U's "trailer".
Wow you are so selfish we are lucky we got any footage at all they could've just said nothing until next year but no they decide to give you a little snippit and the whole universe comes crashing down because it was only 30 seconds long news flash dude it wasnt supposed to be a trailer it was supposed to be a teaser and a reminder that they are still hard at work on this game and there will be more news coming next year so just be grateful we got this 30 seconds of footage because i don't think any of us were expecting any zelda u footage in this direct.

Last edited:
Wow you are so selfish we are lucky we got any footage at all they could've just said nothing until next year but no they decide to give you a little snippit and the whole universe comes burning down because it was only 30 seconds long news flash dude it wasnt supposed to be a trailer it was supposed to be a teaser and a reminder that they are still hard at work on this game and there will be more news coming next year.

In all fairness, the amount of silence and secrecy regarding the game up to this point has been ridiculous. If the game really wouldn't have anything worth showing off around November of 2015, they shouldn't have announced that the release date would be.... 2015. They won't even give us something as basic and simplistic as a title, and at this rate, we won't even know said title until less of a year until release. That's bad marketing, and you can't blame long-time fans for feeling like Nintendo is hanging them out to dry, especially since Wii U owners in particular are constantly and continually getting shafted with Nintendo all but abandoning the console over the next year after an embarrassingly short life span.

So yeah, not buying this "we're selfish and lucky to get anything" deal. If you're not going to market your game, don't reveal it and announce a release window that's way off the mark and then proceed to pretend like the game doesn't exist for almost a full year. Nintendo is not immune from criticism, just like how other companies such as Konami and Square Enix aren't either.

Unless this is a satire, then please carry on. :)

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Lol at "you should feel lucky they deigned to give us anything" yeah they have the right to be secret, and I also have the right to stop giving a rat's rotten ass about the game due to vagueness and lack of any information. Zelda U would have been a system seller for me, but considering how little Nintendo seems to care doesn't exactly fill me with anticipation. After all this, I feel like IF I get a Wii U Zelda U won't be a deciding factor at all.

Last edited:

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I'm used to "the ATLUS silence." ATLUS will tease a game currently in development and give it either a year or a "currently in development" as its window. After that, no one will hear a peep from them about their latest game until they're ready to give it a final release date. Which is then followed up by a trailer with some gameplay and the date fans should expect it by. They'll shut up again until about two months before release, and then a slew of information will fly out the door.

But the difference between ATLUS and Nintendo is vast -- ATLUS is just a little company known for their secrecy, while Nintendo is a AAA developer known for starting "the hype train." This game was revealed in 2013. Over the last two years, Nintendo has done nothing but show me two 30 second trailers, very little gameplay and said "we're sorry for the wait, please take these two remakes, this new game which is really just a glorified rehash of a past game and a spin-off but totally canon game that nobody asked for."

I'm a consumer, and Nintendo has consistently done nothing but shaft me, as a Wii U owner and a somewhat lesser fan of The Legend of Zelda than I used to be, left and right. And like myself, consumers and fans alike are not being selfish -- we're angry, and it's justified. Two years with almost complete radio silence on Zelda U and now being told we're getting yet another freaking remake of a past title while Zelda U is being pushed back a year further is infuriating. I was expecting "Hey, yeah by the way we're sorry for the delay, something happened in development and this is what it was," or "we think this game is going to be great but we need more time to iron out the bugs and decided this would be a great anniversary title," but was just told "Lol, yeah. Here's our new window; it's gonna be released on the 30th year anniversary!" I was expecting a complete overhaul, but was shown a game with just 20% more lighting and slight texture improvements. It's poor showmanship, and it's not winning me over.

If Nintendo thinks it's a joke, I'm not laughing. I don't want to pay 60+ dollars for a game I already have a copy of, and will refuse to do so unless the changes made are significant and even then, I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
In all fairness, the amount of silence and secrecy regarding the game up to this point has been ridiculous. If the game really wouldn't have anything worth showing off around November of 2015, they shouldn't have announced that the release date would be.... 2015. They won't even give us something as basic and simplistic as a title, and at this rate, we won't even know said title until less of a year until release. That's bad marketing, and you can't blame long-time fans for feeling like Nintendo is hanging them out to dry, especially since Wii U owners in particular are constantly and continually getting shafted with Nintendo all but abandoning the console over the next year after an embarrassingly short life span.

So yeah, not buying this "we're selfish and lucky to get anything" deal. If you're not going to market your game, don't reveal it and announce a release window that's way off the mark and then proceed to pretend like the game doesn't exist for almost a full year. Nintendo is not immune from criticism, just like how other companies such as Konami and Square Enix aren't either.

Unless this is a satire, then please carry on. :)
Dude they didnt plan to delay the game it actually was supposed to come this year but they had some great ideas that they thought fans would like so they decided to delay it i for one think its a great idea and while i do want the game now i know i will be happy when i finally get the game and theres all these cool features but hey thats just my opinion.

I think this remake will be fine. Yes, I'm disappointed that when TP HD releases, there will have been four 3D Zelda remakes in a time span of less than five years, but I can understand Nintendo wanting to pad out the franchise's 30th anniversary.

I think the remake looks respectable. The backgrounds are a lot clearer and more detailed than before, and the character models have received updated textures. There is still some work that can be done with the lighting, like sharpening the shadows given off by objects, and I believe Tantalus will use the last three and a half or so months of development time to improve this area. Visual effects have been adjusted in Zelda remakes before. TWW HD had a lot more bloom when it revealed than when it was released. The low quality Nintendo Direct feed didn't do the game justice. Tne released screenshots are of a much higher quality. Every other Zelda remake has also had changes to smooth out some of the original game's shortcomings, so I have no doubt we'll be seeing some adjustment to TP's long intro, Tears of Light Collection, or both. The people making this game ported Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut to Wii U, so they have some experience porting large and complex games to the system.

At the end of the day, Nintendo is more watchful about Zelda than any other franchise except for Mario, so I have no doubt the final product will live up the high quality of remakes OoT 3D, TWW HD, and MM 3D delivered.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
What is a joke is people hating on Nintendo because they didn't reveal a full HD remake they never promised. .

I don't understand this logic at all. "Nintendo never said they wouldn't half ass this, so you can't be disappointed in them for that! Just because Nintendo put more work into all the other titles doesn't mean they should actually make an effort here!"

Honestly, I don't care if they warned is in advance that they were going to be this lazy....it's still laziness and it's unacceptable, especially since they're charging full price.

Wow you are so selfish we are lucky we got any footage at all they could've just said nothing until next year but no they decide to give you a little snippit and the whole universe comes crashing down because it was only 30 seconds long news flash dude it wasnt supposed to be a trailer it was supposed to be a teaser and a reminder that they are still hard at work on this game and there will be more news coming next year so just be grateful we got this 30 seconds of footage because i don't think any of us were expecting any zelda u footage in this direct.

The problem isn't that I'm angry with the lack of footage...the problem is that I just don't care anymore. I want to care, but as a consumer it's hard to get invested in a project that I'm seeing so little of and, whether it's true or not, hiding it from us this much just sends subliminal messages that the project isn't worth showing and ergo not worth buying.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Dear Nintendo, regarding TP"HD" and the 20 seconds of footage we got:

c1c2a4a0-b61f-0132-46bc-0e9062a7590a.gif

Salem

SICK
What does that have to do with being selfish? It isn't like I wanted all the Zelda Wii U footage all to myself and not share it with the other fans...

Are you serious? If you are, well...

I honestly think that the Zelda Wii U "teaser trailer" is a joke, they could've given us more but they chose not to, either they thought a 20 second teaser is enough to satisfy fans(which I doubt) or they know it wouldn't and they get off on teasing us, and I dunno which is worse.

And second of all, I don't have to be thankful just because I got some info from Nintendo, it isn't like there's something preventing them from giving longer trailers, they have an entire game to pull footage from, Nintendo is not sacred, I can criticize them all I want.

Also, congratulation, you got me to type far more about this topic than I ever wanted.

Last edited:
Nintendo is not sacred, I can criticize them all I want.
Exactly. I have criticised Nintendo's Zelda remakes in the past quite heavily even though I am still a huge Nintendo fanboy. I believe Nintendo is a victim of it's own success these days. Anything less than anazing from Nintendo is seen as garbage these days. That's not a totally unresonable attitude to have. Nintendo can put out amazing quality, even today still. When Nintendo choose not to in favour of low quality cash cows, Nintendo's customers vent their disgust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't recall Nintendo ever saying the Wii U tech demo is what Twilight Princess would look like in HD. Yeah they tried the 3 Zelda titles to see what they looked like in HD, but I'm pretty sure the Zelda Tech demo had nothing to do with that trial and error. That experiment was one of the reasons why the Wind Waker HD was made and I do recall Eiji Aonuma saying that Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD wasn't a zero possibility, but likely wouldn't get the same treatment as the Wind Waker HD.

As of now, Aonuma has technically stood by what he said. The possibility has been made in Twilight Princess's case, but it won't be vamped up like the Wind Waker HD. This is the thing with Nintendo: while they do try to listen to fan feedback, they don't promise anything. Sometimes they do deliver, sometimes they don't. The problem is when they don't deliver, fans get up in arms at Nintendo for it, like a spoiled child shouting at their mum for not giving them what they want.

Nintendo try to do their best to please their fans, but you can't have everything and they can't be expected to please everyone, they do have their limits on what they can and can't do. With Twilight Princess HD, Nintendo probably have a good reason to just enhance the visuals as opposed to completely work form square one. Like for example: they might not want it to look better than Zelda Wii U for the fear of effecting it's sales.

You can complain all you want, and Nintendo will apologise like normal, but it's not a binding contract that forces them to make those changes. At the end of the day, it's their freedom to do what they want and I thank that's the better way to make decisions for their games as opposed to constantly listening to spoiled fans and making games for them.

They did say the tech demo was from when they took TP's art style and made it in HD. They even remade Armoghoma straight from TP in this new HD look.

The thing is they then put the effort in with the WWHD which was a full remake of a game far less popular than TP. Fans would of course expect Nintendo to then put the same effort or greater effort with the second most popular game in the franchise.

Nintendo don't try their best to please fans. They actually seem to care very little about their fans in that they constantly disappoint them KNOWING that they are going to disappoint them. Aounuma has said he originally made Twilight Princess because of fan backlash with WW. He actually put the effort in to try and give the fans what they wanted and his success was evident not only by the universal critical acclaim but also with the high number of sales. Ever since then however they seem to deliberately ignore what the fans want.

Every Zelda game since TP has not come close to it in terms of sales because fans want more games like TP. Therefore not remaking TP with the same if not more effort than WWHD, is ****ing stupid.

The second most popular Zelda game if given the appropriate graphical upgrade, bringing it up to modern standards, could sell Wii U's. TPHD has updated a 2006 game to look like a 2008 gane, hardly modern standards. I'm not just complaining because I want a better game for myself, but I want more to experience the joy of TP than those who already has. Everyone who buys TPHD will be an existing Zelda fan.

Nintendo gives off the impression they are no longer out to make the most money they possibly can, but to rip off those who are loyal to them whilst putting minimal effort into the products they are ripping fans off with.

Last edited:
Exactly. I have criticised Nintendo's Zelda remakes in the past quite heavily even though I am still a huge Nintendo fanboy. I believe Nintendo is a victim of it's own success these days. Anything less than anazing from Nintendo is seen as garbage these days. That's not a totally unresonable attitude to have. Nintendo can put out amazing quality, even today still. When Nintendo choose not to in favour of low quality cash cows, Nintendo's customers vent their disgust.

You know, I've always felt like I'm in the minority concerning criticism of Nintendo and especially the Zelda series, in the modern day. People just seem to lap up everything Nintendo wants to give them, and I'm kind of happy in a smug way that at least most of this forum seems to finally share my view that Nintendo has not been handling things properly as it pertains to the Zelda series specifically.

I mean, I wouldn't even really honestly care about TPHD, or Triforce Heroes, or the lack of anything Zelda U that much if I at least thought Skyward Sword was acceptable. I've always felt alone when I said I think it's a pretty bad excuse for 3D Zelda, but after looking at overall reception (Lower than all its 3D contemporaries) and sales figures (How the hell did the Wii version of TP manage to out-sell it despite being 4 years older? Seriously, what the hell?) it's good to see that I'm not in the vast minority at least. I wouldn't mind a half-hearted TP re-release if I had hope for Zelda U, but if SS is the new standard here, I just don't have that at all.

It's funny because I don't want to be a pessimist with Nintendo. I used to defend this company tooth and nail on this very forum and the rest of the internet like an absolute fanboy during the Wii years, but these past five years have done enough to make me get away from that. Their treatment of the Metroid series, their philosophy with 3D Zelda, the mishandling of the release schedule for Wii U games, there's only so much a fanboy can put up with before he stops being that loyal.

I still really want Nintendo to succeed, but they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore, especially with Zelda.

Nintendo don't try their best to please fans. They actually seem to care very little about their fans in that they constantly disappoint them KNOWING that they are going to disappoint them. Aounuma has said he originally made Twilight Princess because of fan backlash with WW. He actually put the effort in to try and give the fans what they wanted and his success was evident not only by the universal critical acclaim but also with the high number of sales. Ever since then however they seem to deliberately ignore what the fans want.

Nintendo gives off the impression they are no longer out to make the most money they possibly can, but to rip off those who are loyal to them whilst putting minimal effort into the products they are ripping fans off with

That's funny, because for quite a while ever since Ocarina of Time 3D was released, Zelda fans begged for Majora's Mask to be remade on the 3DS with the same treatment, and while Aonuma kept quiet about it for almost 4 years, while secretly developing the title, anticipating the fan's desire for it, he delivered by announcing it last year and releasing it earlier this year.

This doesn't just relate to Zelda, it's other franchises as well. People wanted remakes of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, and Junichi Masuda outright came out and said he was interested in doing that. Years later, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are announced and released. Why? because fans wanted it. People wanted the Skull Kid to be playable in Hyrule Warriors and he didn't make the cut in the Majora's Mask DLC pack. Now he has been announced as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors legends along with a female Link that alot of fans desired. Then we have Roy, Mewtwo, Lucas returning in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS, all because of demand from fans. Operation Rainfall to bring Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower and The Last story to America. Fans begged, Nintendo finally gave.

The list goes on. This is solid evidence that Nintendo do listen to their fans. It might not be their initial plan to begin with, but with fan input, it does make a change to get Nintendo to make what fans want. But like I said earlier, they can't always give the fans what they want. There are so many games I would like Nintendo to create, but I don't throw a tantrum and go anti-Nintendo when they announce a new game and it doesn't meet my expectations.

I admit there have recently been a few games Nintendo have made that I think to myself: "Seriously Nintendo? Is that all you can muster up?! You're just gonna make another game that fans will complain about, AGAIN?!" As a result, I just ended up avoiding the game completely. That being said, I don't feel any less about Nintendo, nor do I feel betrayed by their decisions to do this instead of doing what fellow fans would rather have.

Back to Twilight Princess HD, I honestly did expect a bit more from the title in terms of graphical change. However, I do believe that the original graphics for the title were outstanding anyway, and felt that it doesn't really need to be the same quality as the Zelda tech demo. Clearly other fans wished that, which is fine and I get and respect that, but maybe Nintendo just doesn't have the time nor the resources right now to make a HD remake of a acclaimed title at tech demo standard when their priority it making Zelda Wii U the ultimate Zelda title that will hopefully blow their fan's minds away.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Right now it just looks rushed and I wish they had just waited 5-10 years for when it's technologically feasible to give this game the grand visual overhaul it deserves.
I agree. That is why I've sort of been against it up until know. Nintendo can't go back now so the only option is to move foward with this remake. I honestly think this remake could be better visually, but it seems to me like they are rushing it and not putting much effort into giving it a good overhaul.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
What is a joke is saying "we have big news on Monday" and then the big news is Minecraft coming to Wii U. Nice one Nintendo.
Anyway, when it comes to the TP remake, adding a slightly updated texture pack (one inferior to textures I've seen on modded versions of the game) doesn't make an old game worth full price. To anyone defending it, if this was the new Zelda games graphics, would you buy it? No? Then why pay full price for a game with horrible graphics that you already played 10 years ago? Sure, there might be little tweaks to some gameplay or missions, but that's all it'll be. If I want to play TP, I'll set up my GameCube (or my Wii) and play it.
Nintendo have been terrible this year with the exception of MM3D (which I also didn't buy, but I'll give it to them because a lot of people wanted it). Again, if your idea of big news is bringing Minecraft to your system like 4 years after everyone else then you need to seriously rethink some stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom