• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Is this a joke?

The cutscenes were embellished, and while textures have slightly improved, the poly-count and other details remain the same. Despite being a 2016 full retail release on the Wii U, it looks like a 2008 Xbox 360 game.

No changes, from what I've seen s0 far, were made in the overworld. It's still barren. Tantalus could have populated it with foliage/animals, stylized the art differently so that it ages better or added puzzles/NPC's/events to it. While it was good by 2006 standards, without significant changes it won't compare well to the many overworld-driven games in the industry today.

The amiibo support is a little bonus and the newly orchestrated soundtrack is a good addition, but they need to do more with the game to justify a $50-60 price tag, as the commanding price for an HD port is $20-30 max. Like Nintendo did with the warping/saving in Majora's Mask and the sailing/late-game quests in Wind Waker, this could be a good opportunity to improve the core gameplay.

Some suggestions: Removing loading times. Tightening up the first few hours. Fixing the Tears of Light, statue-moving quests. Granting the player Epona's whistle earlier. Making dungeon items (like the spinner and ball-chain) more useful in combat.

If they can significantly improve the gameplay, it will be worth it. Right now it just looks rushed and I wish they had just waited 5-10 years for when it's technologically feasible to give this game the grand visual overhaul it deserves.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
heck regardless of the pretty visuals,wind waker was still a 2003 gamecube game that was sold at full price in the 8th generation
in fact,it's even shorter than the original version considering they cut down on things like the triforce quest and certain animations (though most of that is probably for the better)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
heck regardless of the pretty visuals,wind waker was still a 2003 gamecube game that was sold at full price in the 8th generation
in fact,it's even shorter than the original version considering they cut down on things like the triforce quest and certain animations (though most of that is probably for the better)

Yes. Microsoft didn't sell the Gears of War remake for full price and they fully redid the visuals and added missions.

But Nintendo know fans will buy their products anyway even full price.

Is this a joke?
If the new Star Fox Zero videos mean anything (and they do), I would not take this TP video as the final look of the game. The new SFZ videos are very much improved in every way when compared to the E3 videos. Even the parts of the Direct and E3 SFZ videos that are the same . . . the direct video is much improved. I would think the TP videos shown in the direct are still a work in progress and the jame will look better by next year on it's release date. . . Well one would hope so.

If you are thinking what we saw is the quality of the released TP remake, you might just be rushing to conclusions. Give it time. If you are on the fence about getting this, then wait for the media to get their pre-release discs and play the **** out of them. Then you'll see the quality of the visuals in the released game. It's a little too early to say what we saw for TPHD will be the final look. I hope it will look better on release but we just do not know.

Reactions: Fig
Judging by the tech demo, it was more than possible to give this game the overhaul it deserves, but they're more concerned with cash grabs and pushing Amiibo.

The tech demo has one problem. It's just one room. It's what they call a "vertical slice". Any developer can spend months to make one small area of a game look stunning, but it's not feasible to make an entire large overworld look like that. It probably would be feasible 5-10 years from now. And I would have waited too.

in fact,it's even shorter than the original version

The Wind Waker HD's visuals were meaningfully improved, on top of the core gameplay mechanics. And I'll take a tight 12 hour game (which I'm more likely to replay) over a sloppy 20 hour game.

If the new Star Fox Zero videos mean anything (and they do), I would not take this TP video as the final look of the game.

I hope so. Because Star Fox is looking really good. :)

Ooo, I agree that I hope loading times are removed. They so far haven't touched the lighting, and I hope they do. The textures have improved and that is good, but I hope they do more than what they showed. And I really hope they streamline/alter things so that it's not simply a graphical update.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I really don't see this as any sort of remake. I just see it as another way to get more money out of ignorant fans.

It's not just the ignorant of course though. Many will buy even reluctantly because of the brand knowing full well that it will be a half assed port.
I wish that fans would complain more and actually get the changes made that we want, and let Aounuma and co know that this type of treatment is not acceptable.

What is a joke is people hating on Nintendo because they didn't reveal a full HD remake they never promised. What's also a joke is that they are bashing the title over a less than 2 minute trailer which only showed the bare bones of a work in progress.

We don't know an awful lot about this HD Remaster and what changes it will bring, yet people are already boycotting it simply because it wasn't what they were expecting after hearing the rumors that were spreading at the time.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What is a joke is people hating on Nintendo because they didn't reveal a full HD remake they never promised. What's also a joke is that they are bashing the title over a less than 2 minute trailer which only showed the bare bones of a work in progress.

We don't know an awful lot about this HD Remaster and what changes it will bring, yet people are already boycotting it simply because it wasn't what they were expecting after hearing the rumors that were spreading at the time.

None of us know if it is bare bones footage or if that is the final version of the game. Nintendo did not say that it was bare bones footage or that it was a work in progress. They presented a trailer for us and it is only natural to react based on what we have been shown. By the time it releases it could be too late to make any change. We need to complain whilst we still can get change made.

Nintendo have been slacking for a while now, delivering us half assed games and rehashes. Is it any wonder there is fan backlash? We fans have had enough. Nintendo were stupid enough to release a console which was underpowered compared to its competitors and as a result received next to no third party support. Nintendo itself became practically the only provider of games for the system. And because Nintendo have become a company who releases incomplete games which require hundreds of pounds from the buyers purse to purchase all of it, who release titles that do not significantly improve over what was done before, that is why fans complain.

Nintendo said that the Wii U tech demo was what Twilight princess would look like in HD. They said they did that treatment for all the 3D titles and decided to make WWHD because they liked the look of that one best. Now we see TPHD, looking nothing like the tech demo when we were told that the tech demo was what TP in HD would look like. We are disappointed and we are going to complain. End of story.

Last edited:
I don't recall Nintendo ever saying the Wii U tech demo is what Twilight Princess would look like in HD. Yeah they tried the 3 Zelda titles to see what they looked like in HD, but I'm pretty sure the Zelda Tech demo had nothing to do with that trial and error. That experiment was one of the reasons why the Wind Waker HD was made and I do recall Eiji Aonuma saying that Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD wasn't a zero possibility, but likely wouldn't get the same treatment as the Wind Waker HD.

As of now, Aonuma has technically stood by what he said. The possibility has been made in Twilight Princess's case, but it won't be vamped up like the Wind Waker HD. This is the thing with Nintendo: while they do try to listen to fan feedback, they don't promise anything. Sometimes they do deliver, sometimes they don't. The problem is when they don't deliver, fans get up in arms at Nintendo for it, like a spoiled child shouting at their mum for not giving them what they want.

Nintendo try to do their best to please their fans, but you can't have everything and they can't be expected to please everyone, they do have their limits on what they can and can't do. With Twilight Princess HD, Nintendo probably have a good reason to just enhance the visuals as opposed to completely work form square one. Like for example: they might not want it to look better than Zelda Wii U for the fear of effecting it's sales.

You can complain all you want, and Nintendo will apologise like normal, but it's not a binding contract that forces them to make those changes. At the end of the day, it's their freedom to do what they want and I thank that's the better way to make decisions for their games as opposed to constantly listening to spoiled fans and making games for them.

Reactions: Fig

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom