• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Nintendo 64 Greatest Console?

the wii is my favourite console of all time, will love it even more by the end of this year, it plays (or will play):
metroid prime trilogy
metroid other m
the last story
xenoblade
fragile dreams
no more heroes 1 and 2
red steel 2
super smash bros brawl
the conduit
the conduit 2
the legend of zelda wii
super mario galaxy
super mario galaxy 2
new super mario bros wii
mario kart wii

and theres just a FEW bonuses attached:
every gamecube game
most n64 gems
nes
snes
neo geo
turbografx 16
commodore 64
call of duty
gamecube ports with improved (sometimes worse) controls

i mustve missed something but you get my point, all i ask for is for a headset for future online games and i will be completely satisfied

however if youre simply talking games wise (excluding backward compatibility etc.) the gamecube currently wins for me. but by the end of this year i think the wii will win for me, so far, the hyped games are pretty good, we havent even got to the AAA ones (except galaxy 2)

Austin

Austin
Looking at the N64 on a game-base view, it was good, but not best. Till this day, the SNES, has the most funnest and challenging games of all Nintendo consoles. The SNES still has some of the most challenging games of today. GCN and Wii games are incredible easy. Its the reason why I own a xbox 360, but it still has some fun games. I will give the N64 some credit, they did have some challenging 3D games. For example, Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game, and no Mario game today can compete with the challenge of Mario 64.

Technically wise, the N64 wasn't that great, even for its day. It was more of stubbornness from Nintendo and using a CD base console. However, with the limited resources, Nintendo did use them well and I tip my hat to them. The Wii, doesn't really utilize all the resources and its sort of sad. Its much similar with GCN. The GCN didn't really utilize all the resources till Twilight Princess, and they did it good.

Overall, I still say the SNES is the best console. It had incredible fun and challenging games that I still play today. Technically wise for its time, it was fairly innovative, and the game used a large amount of the resources the SNES had from the beginning to the end the SNES's life time. Not even mentioning it still had life when the N64 was released!

O

OniLink

alot of people will say the playsattation due to being revolutionary but the N64 had soem awesome games that defined that generation

R

rapture64

as much as i love my n64 it is not my favorite console. your right its not the same on virtual console. but i like my NES and super NES better. and the 64s doesnt have a great controller

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I'd have to say that the N64 has had the greatest quality of games in existence. It had so many titles that were different from another and played like a dream. It had the most diverse library I've ever seen in any gaming system and was the pilot for some of the greatest games in existence. Unlike the PS systems it wasn't just a big bunch of JRPGs that people spend millions on, and unlike the Xbox systems it wasn't a bunch of Shooters.

Also the SNES, I found, was too cluttered with platformers, and although platformers are fun that does not change the problem with diversity. However, some of the best titles on the SNES were there. The thing I found better with the N64 though was that it was even more diverse and brought gaming to a whole new level with 3D.

The only system that I'd say comes close to the N64 is the Sega Dreamcast which had so many good games that it makes me cry to see that the system fell flat on its face.

M

magnus90

IMO, the best console ever is the SNES. That´s because overall, it had great games in every category: strong RPG´s (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF), fighting (SFII, Battletoads, MK), adventure and action (ALttP, Super Metroid, DK Country). Nintendo was a step beyond with the SNES in the 90´s: mode 7, first polygonal and texturized games (3D). Although the NES started most game sagas, the SNES consolidated them as great games.

The NES is pretty good, and so the N64. The N64 was good because of "homemade" games, developed by Nintendo itself. I´d say that most of 3rd parties games were really bad. Kind of the same history happened with the Cube, but it was better capitalized and better 3rd party games were released for the Cube.

The Wii.... I don´t know. It´s not the same essence and feeling the SNES and N64 had... it sure has great features, but I still think SNES is the best console ever made.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I love the wii. I loved the gamecube. But nothing compares to the awesome memories I've had on the N64. I love that system so much for all of the awesome games they had. The wii replicates them well enough, i guess, but as an experienced gamer, it just doesn't feel the same.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, the N64 is the greatest console ever, until the Wii brings me another OoT-esque game.

I have to go with the SNES. It dominated its time and there were countless quality games for it that are still worth playing today. It's as perfect of a video game system as you can get. After the SNES I would say the PS2, then N64, then Xbox 360

Chelsie

tap the galaxy oh (◔ิз◔ิ♪
Yes~ N64 was my favourite console of all time! It had all of those good games like Pokemon Stadium, LoZ OoT and MM, Super Smash Brothers, Diddykong racing and the original mariocart etc. But yeah it was the best i think:)

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think the N64 was considered one of the best "for it's time," but now there are new competitors. I don't really think you can compare different gen systems because the newer ones outclass the old ones, back in the day N64 had the spotlight alongslide the PSX, and now that time is over. but that isen't to say the N64 is no longer a good system, heck it's still one of the best consoles, I just dont think you can call any one system the greatest when there are so many generations of consoles that all still work and play great games. N64 was indeed one of my favorites becuase of all the great games I owned for it and discovered on it. But times change... always. N64 is not forever and neither is any other system. knowing there will be future systems I can't call any of them the greatest. But that's just me...

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I love the N64, it's gotta be either my favorite or 2nd favorite. I don't like the Wii as much because "It was the Wii that got us up off the couch, and more into the experience." ~ Reggie Fils-Aime. I like sitting down when I play a game. The Gamecube controller is very comfortable, as the N64 is. But not Wii so much. I just think N64 is great.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
If you're talking about the console itself, I'd have to say yeah, it's the greatest, or at least close to being the greatest. You could throw it down a flight of stairs, you could drop if from a balcony, you could jump on it, etc. and it'd still work. The controller was sooo useful and very, very comfortable. It's one of the few controllers that fits in ANYBODY'S hands. It never overheated, didn't use a lot of energy, didn't make a lot of noise, and you could use the crooked cartridge trick, AND along came the rumble pack. The console was amazing.

The game library, however, is another story. There were many great and revolutionary games, but not as many compared to other systems' game libraries. The Dreamcast, in my opinion, had the most amazing game library EVER. Nintendo 64 had a lot of cool stuff, but there are others consoles that can easily top it. N64 had amazing titles: OoT, MM, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Turok (2), Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. ... those were all amazing and heavily influenced gaming as a whole.... but, while they were amazing games, other consoles have/had more amazing games. I think the SNES also tops the N64 in this area.

Still, it's a pretty fantastic console.

Beeker

Wild Card
I'm not sure if I could say the N64 is the best system, but to me it holds a special place in my heart because it was my first video game console. Granted, I didn't have too many games for it, but the games I did have were games I loved to death. Now that I look back at them, there were many N64 games that were great. For it's time, the N64 was the best, but of course you can't compare it to today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom