• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Nintendo 64 Greatest Console?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, the N64 was great, but the Wii is even better.

Seriously, you get a good Majora-ity (:lol:) of those masterpieces on the N64, every single masterpiece on the Gamecube, a good number of masterpieces made specifically for the Wii, and a lot of masterpieces from eras before the N64 like ALttP and Sonic the Hedgehog for instance. Not to mention the epic control scheme. :D

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Well guys, I don't have the Wii, but the two reasons I've read said that you can play games from other consoles in the Wii.
But you don't have the same feeling playing in the N64 or in the Wii, because in one your control is more complex, has a lot more buttons, and you actually play with the cartridge itself, no with another console.

Now, as for the Nintendo 64, I have it and love it. And i have most of it's masterpieces, too, which I also love.
The N64 is legendary for many things, it has Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Story (good game you can't negate it), Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros, Mario party 1 2 and 3, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, and many other great games.

Playing by the Wii is like living through other lives (very exxagerated XD), you have to play through the N64 to really play a N64 game, not by thee Wii...

So yeah, N64 is one of the best consoles (I still have to know if the NES is better...).

Kazumi

chagy
While the N64 is a good system, and has some good games, it's definitely not the best. There are a few things that I don't like about it. One of the main ones is the controller. I'm not really that bothered by the lack of a second analogue stick, or the way that it is laid out (with the three prongs), but I dislike how cheap it is. And I'm not just talking about the 3rd Party controllers, the Official Nintendo ones are cheap as well. It's not that bad, but it bothers me.

Secondly I dislike that some games require a memory card, and that the rumble is not built in. While I think that the idea of a port on the controller for adding things is good, it was used in the wrong ways. And there are a few other things I didn't like, but other then that it was a great console.

Now if we are talking just library wise, then the SNES and PS2 beat it way out of the park. Well, maybe not way, but they definitely beat it. So the N64 definitely is not the best in terms of library. At least not in my opinion. But other then that, it's up there with the best consoles of all time.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'm afraid to say this on a Zelda website, but I believe the PS3 (don'thitmeIhavearightomyopinion) to be the best system function wise. Now games I must agree that I had the most fun on the 64. With Zelda, Donke Kong, Star Fox, Smash Bros, hey some of these games I still play.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
The nintendo 64 in my opinion is the greatest console because it gave us games like super mario 64, legend of zelda OOT, goldeneye 007, and Perfect Dark.:nod:

The N64(DD) started First Person Shooter games (Golden Eye). I have Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Both by RareWare (Now Rare Ltd.). They are both awesome. Wii although has more to it.

No no NO.

It's always weird how the first 3D appearance of a series is considered to be the absolute best that cannot and will not ever be beaten by ANYTHING (Mario 64, OoT, Starfox 64, Final Fantasy VII, the list is endless). Guys, that's all the N64 has going for it in my eyes, first 3D game nostalgia, because when you compare anything that was on it compared to what we have today, NOTHING can match up. Yeah, those games WERE the best when they came out, and that's why so many of us have such a high opinion of them today, because we remember them being the best back then, when in reality, they can't match up to today's superior software and hardware. In the unbiased eyes, the N64 era is now inferior when compared to the games and systems that are the 360/PS3/Wii.

I do think that it's sensible to consider the SNES the best system though, just because those were true 2D masterpieces, and current consoles don't even try to create 2D masterpieces anymore.

L

Link367

I would not say the N64 was the GREATEST game console. But, one of the best. Sure it gave us great games, but every system has it's great games. The GameCube has WW, Resident Evil 4, TP, Super Mario Sunshine, and Paper Mario. The Wii has Super Mario Galaxy, TP, Modern Warfare 2, and Red Steel 2. Every game console has it's great games, but just a few doesn't make it the best. I'd say it was the BEST of it's time, but now, it's just one of the better game consoles.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
It was good while its time lasted, but good things are replaced with better ones, that is why new systems come out every so often. A console is good and great during its time, but eventually they all lose their popularity over time.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Super Mario 64 was my first game ever, so it is my favorite console. It definetely has the best game library, ranging from Mario to Donkey Kong. It took the games we loved on the SNES to a whole new level (no pun intended). I still favorite it to this day, and I'm thankful for ROMs and my USB Controller (so I can play with cheats, and play knowing it won't freeze).

Well, there's really two ways to look at whether or not it's the greatest console. My personal opinion would have to be no, but there are two sides.

It's definitely not the most powerful, the current gen consoles are, and even out of those, Nintendo's console isn't even the most powerful. It's significantly weaker, but thanks to Nintendo fanboys, and amazing games, it still stays strong. Xbox 360 or PS3 (I think XBox 360) are the ones fighting for most powerful, while Wii will likely always be most popular.

Another point is whether or not it has the best game library. I would think so. It had amazing games, such as DK64, Super Mario 64, F-Zero X, Super Smash Brothers, etc. But Wii is getting dangerously close to a better library with all the games they've been thinking up recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom