• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda If the Zelda Franchise Was Just Released....

So, as some of you who are subscribed to Game Informer may know, I think like three issues back there was this article about "If Mario were to be released today, it would not be popular". Obviously, I was not a fan of it, but it did sadly get me thinking :sad:

Anyway, I will discuss that later on the appropriate forum (BTW, why don't we have a Mario forum?). My question is the same for you guys, but obviously substituting Legend of Zelda for Mario.

Let's say this is the Wii U and Nintendo releases Ocarina of Time (with updated graphics/sound to obviously fit the 21st century level). Would Zelda games become popular and reach the popularity/cultural levels they have today?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nope because the game would be seen as incredibly dry and devoid of anything groundbreaking in regards to gameplay. Well...that's what I personally think! Who can really say, though?

Nope because the game would be seen as incredibly dry and devoid of anything groundbreaking in regards to gameplay. Well...that's what I personally think! Who can really say, though?

I thought motion-plus gameplay was groundbreaking?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I doubt it would do well because first person games are big nowadays and most fanboys hate Zelda because it's not first person.

Not really. Red Steel 2 already used the concept. Motion Plus was a pretty underused gameplay aspect, despite the opportunities it had to be great.

You speak as though we are over with motion plus. The wiimotes are still compatible with the Wii U you know.

I doubt it would do well because first person games are big nowadays and most fanboys hate Zelda because it's not first person.

I assure you there are plenty of gamers who prefer non-fps's.

Ganondork

goo
You speak as though we are over with motion plus. The wiimotes are still compatible with the Wii U you know.

I don't really see it making all that much of a return in the next generation. It was supposed to be something revolutionary during its debut generation, and only two games actually utilized it. The fact was it was just for precise close-quarters combat, and for some reason both Nintendo and third-parties seemed to not be interested in it. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it really catered to either first-person perspectives, or a camera angle akin to The Legend of Zelda. Not many games really are optimized for things like that. It's possible that some new game will come up with a use for the Motion Plus, but I think Nintendo isn't really aiming for 1:1 motion controls anymore.

I don't really see it making all that much of a return in the next generation. It was supposed to be something revolutionary during its debut generation, and only two games actually utilized it. The fact was it was just for precise close-quarters combat, and for some reason both Nintendo and third-parties seemed to not be interested in it. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it really catered to either first-person perspectives, or a camera angle akin to The Legend of Zelda. Not many games really are optimized for things like that. It's possible that some new game will come up with a use for the Motion Plus, but I think Nintendo isn't really aiming for 1:1 motion controls anymore.

Wait, I thought this was supposed to be a revolution for LoZ and/or Mario?

Ganondork

goo
Wait, I thought this was supposed to be a revolution for LoZ and/or Mario?

Motion Plus? Not really. It was pretty much free domain for anyone to use with the Wii to make motion controls more precise. Ubisoft picked it up first and implemented it into their game, Red Steel 2. It's a fantastic game, mind you. The only other game that utilized it was The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Mario never used it once.

Motion Plus? Not really. It was pretty much free domain for anyone to use with the Wii to make motion controls more precise. Ubisoft picked it up first and implemented it into their game, Red Steel 2. It's a fantastic game, mind you. The only other game that utilized it was The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Mario never used it once.

Sorry, I meant for Nintendo in general. I mean Red Steel 2 is a Wii game.

What about the next Zelda U game? It seems like it would get awkward playing it with that large Wii U control pad.

I couldn't even see it getting past the idea board or whatever. Probably wouldn't even get suggested.

I would not be too sure. If it was marketed as an RPG, there is a potential fanbase to dig into.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

There are many FPS games that disagree with you.

MW7

I think it would kind of like a chicken and the egg scenario. Zelda games influenced so many other games that nowadays Ocarina of Time doesn't seem so profound. However if you removed all evidence of the series from the history of video games and Zelda was first coming out now, then I could see the series still being successful. The problem is that this isn't possible since Zelda games played a notable role in shaping what gaming is today. I think if I had never played Ocarina of Time before and played it today, it would still be one of my favorite games of all time. Maybe lots of other people would be the same way.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ocarina of Time is mainly considered one of the best games due to the timing of its release, at that time the concept of 3D world's was still relatively new. OoT was considered revolutionary because little games at that time had done what it had indeed achieved.

Not only have games surpassed what OoT did but Zelda games in general have, in fact if Ocarina of Time where to be released given the hypothesis that the Zelda series was still the same prior to its release then I'm sure many would call it basic and un original I contrast to the sometimes bold direction that the other games have went in.

Given the idea that the Legend of Zelda never existed prior to its release would be a different scenario. A lot of Nintendo fans are still hanging on to the company's games due to the older generation, in a sense, nostalgia. If Zelda wasn't released prior would these fans still have the same interest? Then we also have to consider that the gaming world has changed, trends are now very different, it seems that FPS games are now the dominant force and to an extent so are MMO's and RPG's. I consider that apart from Zelda, The Action/Adventure genre to be largely inferior in terms s of popularity and quality as it once was.

However Nintendo games without Zelda would be a big loss, they have nothing like Zelda, if we where to see something of that scope, a true fantasy adventure game then I'm sure many owners or fans Of Nintendo would be heavily interested in this new IP and I still think it would sell good among the Nintendo audience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom