• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Have No Words for This...

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I skipped to the end since it's a long thread, so I apologize if this has been posted before, but...

OF COURSE these innocent games are total gore-fests!

Nobody thinks about the minions anymore...

I've seen some further (and nastier) desconstructions of Zelda violence specifically on one of the Deviant Art clubs to which I belong, Darkest Hyrule. While a lot of that club is the just stuff born whole-cloth from the cruel imaginations of fanartists, a few pieces are pretty apt. After all KILLING monsters is what Link DOES.

Of course, equating the "family-friendly" Nintendo fantasy titles to the purposefully grit and grimdark titles is rather silly, but that's not to say that violence isn't there.

Still, saying that games are the direct cause of violence is just dumb in my opinion. I have an actual mental illness (and one that does come with me wrecking my own property in fits of anger occasionally, though I am medicated and have professional help at my disposal, so I'm really not the danger that the media makes those who seek therapy out to be...) And, well, my first thought when playing Gungrave (a very violent game title that is actually Mature rated and is pretty much the NRA's wet-dream) was "Nope, this doesn't make me want to own or hold a gun. The player character is an impossible undead-person who does impossible acrobatics and his guns never run out of ammo. I can't take this seriously enough to connect it to real-world gunplay AT ALL.

Just remember, kids... journalists and scared people will scapegoat anything and everything. Almost everyone in the First World plays videogames (please feel free to point out to the nanny-goats that Angry Birds, Tetris and Bewjewled are, in fact, video games) and we aren't the anarchy bloodbath ignorant people say we should be.

Whose ready to stomp some goombas with our crazy plumber's death-boots?

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but after playing Super Mario 3D Land, I wanted to go and rip the skins off of a bunch of raccoon and run around in them on a homicidal rampage, OH WAIT!
(ZING!)
Lol, that's terrible. That reminds me of the the "Cooking Mama" parody that PETA used for cooking chicken. Disturbing. And it totally reinforced my idea that PETA is insane and should not be supported.

I like the way the media points at the few insane people who played a bunch of violent video games and became horribly violent, but it never mentions the thousands of people who play those same video games and would never even consider hurting another human being in real life.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
-.- *Sighs* Has it really come to this? Blaming Mario games for violence in real life? Yes, there is violence in video games, but its not like your chopping off someone's head & having all the guts & gore come out! This is just the normal violence that good ole fashion AND modern cartoons have! Adventure Time have the violence; you don't see them getting banned off of regular TV! Most good video games out there have violence & fighting! So what, are they gonna whine about all games other than the Pre-K games, where you learn your ABCs? Apparently so. These people don't have anything else to do but whine & complain. Real life have some violence too!-deal with it!

Some parents need to stop being lazy and start raising their kids. i remember growing up the NES and SNES was in the living room and my parents knew what i was playing. My parents discussed to me that these games were fantasy ( that includes for violent movies). to me i really never seen the games as violent. HOWEVER times has changed. Kids now play alone in their rooms. the games are now more violent then ever with HD graphics to add to the realism of the game and the parents who do nothing and let the games raise their children are LAZY they should be the ones to blame. remember their is no substitute for parenting. ( government, games, tv etc...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom