• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Groundhog Day 2011

Hello guys...

So I am totally an obscure holiday lover... And today happens to be my favorite of all the obscure holidays.. Happy Groundhog day.

For those of you who have NO CLUE what I am talking about... its the day where the people gather to watch the groundhog emerge from his home... if he sees his shadow he gets scared and goes back to sleep for 6 more weeks. Which means we have 6 more weeks of winter...

However if he doesn't see his shadow then spring will start.

So uh yeah, you can talk about groundhog day and pretty much any other obscure holiday that you enjoy in this thread :)

Groundhog Day is just another day to me, i mean everywhere i go i see pictures of Punxsutawney Phil, i actually don't understand why people come here just to look at a ground hog, just another tourist trap i guess SPOILER: there's going to be 6 more weeks of winter anyway.

Beeker

Wild Card
Ah yes. Groundhog Day was today.

I found this year's to be weird yet hilarious. See, where I live, the groundhog didn't see his shadow, so it's and early spring prediction. Yet there was just a huge winter storm!
I just found that oddly funny for some reason. :P

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I watched the Groundhog Day parade over in Chicago, on television. If I got it right, the groundhog did not see his shadow, which means that they will have spring arriving soon! I live in Florida, so the winter here is warm, and there aren't a lot of seasons going on....there is only two terms for the weather; warm or hot! Anyways, I was mostly paying attention to the groundhog because he looked so cute! :)

Groundhog Day is just another day to me, i mean everywhere i go i see pictures of Punxsutawney Phil, i actually don't understand why people come here just to look at a ground hog, just another tourist trap i guess SPOILER: there's going to be 6 more weeks of winter anyway.

lol I actually spoiled the magic of groundhog day for my coworkers today... she never realized that the magic of Feb 2nd is that there is exactly 6 weeks till Spring starts from it.

I had to look up what this is on Wikipedia and I'm utterly confused.

At first glance this is the weirdest, most non-sensical holiday I've ever seen. A holiday... for the groundhog? Why the groundhog? So people basically get from all around to wait until a groundhog shows up?

Weird, utterly weird...

Answer this question for me please:
Why do we rely on a mole to tell us what is going to happen? (You know, longer Winter/ shorter Spring?)

Answer this question for me please:
Why do we rely on a mole to tell us what is going to happen? (You know, longer Winter/ shorter Spring?)
Because it hibernates underground. In this long dream-state, deep in the ground where it is attuned to the earth, it subconsciously becomes aware of what will happen to the seasons. :)

Kidding of course. Yeah, Groundhog Day. Pretty cool I guess. I like some obscure Holidays, but I'll admit I never really cared for Groundhog Day in particular. Still cool though! ^^

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Woah, never heard of that but it sounds cute and fun! ^^ I don't think I'ver ever seen a groundhog though...

Because it hibernates underground. In this long dream-state, deep in the ground where it is attuned to the earth, it subconsciously becomes aware of what will happen to the seasons. :)

Kidding of course. Yeah, Groundhog Day. Pretty cool I guess. I like some obscure Holidays, but I'll admit I never really cared for Groundhog Day in particular. Still cool though! ^^
Hm, thanks for answering my question. My knowledge will continue to grow! :D

But anyway's, I don't really like this holiday, I hate the cold weathers, and I love snow, I really do, but I see to much it lately. Yay! We get to see Spring very soon! :D (If I remebered correctly. :<)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom