• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Friday by Rebbeca Black

What do you think about this song?

• Yeah, it sucks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's a nice song to listen too.

• It's so bad it's funny.

• Total voters
I actually have been one of the few that have not heard it. Even though there is the video right in this thread, why would I want to click play and ruin my ears. I mean, my ears are complete virgins to this song; would I really want to not keep it that way?

All I know is that she is some girl with rich parents. She simply wanted to have a song of her own, so her parents spent the necessary money for her to have a song written--even though it is pretty silly lyric-wise, then had some people record her, autotune it, and put it on iTunes. The only reason it would make it to iTunes is because her parents are rich and probably paid, like, a bunch of money or something.

Well, all I can say is that by looking at the lyrics, it's already a terrible song, no matter how talented the singer of it is. So I don't even have to hear it to know.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
This song is bad. I voted for the first option, because it does suck. The rhythm might be the only good part about the song.

Here's a true story:
For our AP Chemistry 1 class, we had to make a "Creative Chemist project". One of the options was a song. All of the people who did songs took the background music of songs, and changed up the lyrics. One of my friends used this song's background music and replaced the lyrics with chemistry terminology. Her version of the song was much better than this. And she probably put in less effort than Black did, and the outcome was better. Even the teacher said that.

"It's Fried-Egg, Fried-Egg!"

But seriously, that is what her voice sounds like. She claims that it is the auto-tune skewing her voice, but I don't think it affects her nasally voice too much.

I voted for option 3; this video has spawned too many good memes to pass up.

CLARIFICATION:

She made this video after her mom won an auction to make a music video. Rebecca Black was given two songs to pick, and she chose this one. The black guy is a guy with the record company.

D

DannyPidgeon

Oh good lord that video has (as of this writing, anyways) 80 million views and a simply ungodly amount of dislikes compared to likes. But man, people are seriously hating on her for the crime of being a 13-year-old who wanted to be a pop star. (Really, do you know any girl who never had that dream?) And she might as well be, that video's well on its way to becoming the most viewed video on Youtube- 80 million in 2 MONTHS. The song itself is OK- just another bland, inoffensive pop song. But you can tell it's just trying to do what everyone else is doing. (Seriously, though, I've looked at other videos put out by this company and that rapping black guy is in EVERY one of them. Baby much?) It's not good, but it's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Although as you can tell from this video, a 13-year-old's definition of the word party is seriously skewed.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I really don't understand why people think it's so horrible. I don't exactly like it. But it's not supposed to be that good anyway, it's an amateur song and it's wrong to judge an amateur song by professional song standards. To put it in perspective, that's like trying to judge college football (American) by NFL standards. It's just absurd. You wouldn't be so harsh if it were a friend or family member singing a song like that.
How this is any different than Kesha, though, or any other successful pop singers, is a mystery to me. This seems just as bad as much of the music that's popular right now. I guess what's slightly different about it is that it's targeted towards kids, but hey, even Lady Gaga was in that new Karate Kid movie, so that really doesn't distinguish it.
I have to agree with Hanyou and others who point out how it sounds like the rest of modern pop. It's hypocritical of the media to embrace Gaga, Ke$ha, Eminem and Kanye when they, in my opinion, are just as bad as Ms. Black here.
To both of you. This is a huge point, huge! And well spotted too! Why does this song get so badly bashed for being so bad, while other mainstream songs that are absolute and complete trash get praised to no end?! There are songs out there with worse lyrics, worse sound, and a worse message (wow that wording sounded weird) out there that gets a huge amount of praise. And yet this gets absolutely torn apart. Those people are professional singers in their 20s and 30s, they can handle criticism. This however is a 14 year old girl, and it's far crueler to her.

This song is downright awful. How does a person make something suck this badly? I guess if you work on a modern children's TV show...
Also, who thought of these lyrics? They're genius! Yesterday was Thursday, Tomorrow is Saturday? She must be a lyric god, because I couldn't find a rhyme with "day" in my life!
And to both of you. All Rebecca did was sing and act in the video. Nothing else. She did not write the lyrics. She didn't have any say on how the music video went, she had nothing to do with producing it. That was all the work of Ark Studios, which really makes a lot of horrible music videos anyway.

I really don't understand why people think it's so horrible. I don't exactly like it. But it's not supposed to be that good anyway, it's an amateur song and it's wrong to judge an amateur song by professional song standards. To put it in perspective, that's like trying to judge college football (American) by NFL standards. It's just absurd. You wouldn't be so harsh if it were a friend or family member singing a song like that.

Let's try this argument you created about a football team and see how it stands up against Rebecca Black.

To start off with, we'll talk about if they both don't do well.

The college football team loses pretty much everything. They earn absolutely nothing!

Rebecca Black releases a song as bad as Friday. She earns several hundred thousand dollars at the least.

Now let's try with them both being successful.

The college football team wins the biggest tournament they can at their level. They earn between little money to absolutely nothing!

Rebecca Black becomes one of the biggest singers going, she earns millions.

My point here being that she's earning a level of money with such a bad song that places her well above any amateurs that are trying to get into the music business. Based off of the fact that she is now quite famous and earning a lot of money, it's safe to say that's she's on a professional level. The college team will get limited fame, if any at all, and that probably wouldn't even last a year.

I really don't see how you can compare Rebecca Black to a college football team. As I said above Rebecca Black is famous and earning a lot of money for something that is so terrible. She didn't even put much effort into this song, nor talent. She asked her parents to buy her into the professional music industry for a fee, a large one at that. Some people then took her average voice, gave her some lyrics to sing and then used auto-tune. For any individual from even the best of college football teams, they have to make their way to the top against many others and they can't really buy themselves into the big leagues. It takes a lot of hard work to become a professional footballer, or professional athlete. Rebecca Black basically just said "Here. Mr. Man, take my parents money and get make me into a big star!". And guess what? She got in! Now she's in the big professional music industry and she's producing terrible songs. She's pretty much asking for a lot of criticism from from everyone that sees it and doesn't like it. If she can't handle the criticism then she should grow up and realise it's what she asked for, it's just that her little fantasy world is not the same as real life.

I fail to see why she should be treated like an amateur like you say. As I've said before, she bought herself into this and she should have thought about the consequences before she went ahead with the deal. I've never once seen a professional athlete say "Well, 'Enter name of NFL, FA, NBA...etc here' cannot state how bad I am at my job. They shouldn't because I'm only an amateur compared to other people, and am only very young too.", it just doesn't work like that. I've a 9 year old playing football (Soccer to you Americans reading this) who compared to the other kids he was playing with was amazing, but he got criticised by people who are comparing him to even an amateur teams standards due to the fact that he doesn't pass, something that is an important part of football.

I'm not saying that all of the unwarranted comments on her killing herself are okay, but anything to do with how bad she is perfectly acceptable. If you can't handle something that you've signed yourself up for, then frankly you shouldn't be complaining.

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I understand she didn't write the lyrics herself, but obviously she is going to get critisised for them. Also, she has to learn to handle critisism, I mean it is part of being famous.

I really don't understand why people think it's so horrible. I don't exactly like it. But it's not supposed to be that good anyway, it's an amateur song and it's wrong to judge an amateur song by professional song standards.

Professional or not, people have the right to decide whether or not they like a song or not. I work in a bar and my boss lets local, un-signed bands play on a Friday night (without even listening to them first too, I might add). These bands aren't professionals but I still judge their music because its what people do. I can understand they might not have the same tools as a professional band but I can still make a judgement on whether I like their music or not, the same as I can with a professional artist, so I wouldn't necessarily say it is wrong to judge them by those standards.

Amateur artists, or people who get their parents to pay for a recording session, or whatever it was that happened, are essentially trying to break into the professional scene with their musical ability and their talent. I can't imagine that it would have been something that Rebecca Black did if she had no interest in the music industry what so ever. It is probably safe to assume that she did it because she has some passion for music or singing or whatever.

What is wrong, however, is the ridiculous level of mindless bullying she received on websites such as Twitter - people telling her she should cut herself or develop an eating disorder because she isn't pretty enough to be a singer and that they hope she dies. What a world we live in where people have to resort to bullying because of something that mildly offends their ears. I don't understand people getting so worked up at it that they feel the need to resort to that. If a 13 year old kid singing a fairly badly written song is the one thing that stops these people sleeping at night then I wish my life was filled with such trivial problems rather than the real ones that I have to put up with day in, day out.

And just to top off the sweet, sweet irony... these people hated the song and hated her, yet with their mindless flaming and name calling she has become a huge star. She's been on numerous TV talk shows. Something these amoebic idiots, urging a 13 year old girl to develop an eating disorder because they don't like her music, will never do. Well done.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
She didn't even WRITE the stupid song. She was one of those kids whos parents paid a few thousand dollers to rent a recording studio and stuff like that, but her song was so bad, it blew up. BTW, she's making another song... LOL. That''s the name of the song, plus what I think of her in general.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
I am not a fan of this song and the criticism it gets is valid. Personally, I think this is worst than "Baby." At least with Justin Bieber, he's going for the typical boy band song. Is it good? Well, it's not original and whether it's good depends on your definition of the word. Rebecca Black, however, seems to be trying to follow the footsteps on Lady Gaga and Ke$ha, with rather poor results. The lyrics would be forgivable if the music was catchy. Lady Gaga and Ke$ha may not have amazing lyrics, in fact they can be down right idiotic, but at least their songs are ones that are fun to dance to and that's all they're meant to be. "Friday," though, is just way too generic to even do that. The only thing it succeeds at is being an ear worm and one that you absolutely hate to have stuck in your head.

With that said, I am starting to really get sick of people crying, "The music industry has been ruined forever! This is proof!" Every era has its share have bad and/or shallow music. The songs that have been remembered were essentially the best of the best and people seem to forget all the horrible songs that were produced. My point is that comparing the modern music industry with all these classic songs is pretty pointless. "Friday" most likely will be forgotten in a decade, or maybe viewed as a one-hit wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom