• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Merger Discussion/Suggestions

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Why not do something akin to gamefaqs and gamespot, where they share a forum server but have their own respective domains. The gamespot forum and the gamefaqs forum have the same accounts, posts, etc, but when you click them you still stay on their respective websites.
This is something that might be an interesting idea. If it's very clearly on its own domain, but considered the dedicated forum for both sites, clearly labeled as such in plain sight in the header, it can eliminate the problem of looking like either one is giving up on having a forum. Allowing the other aspects of both sites to continue to benefit from the forums without it looking like there are none. While also satisfying the people who don't care about the forums and want it gone from the sites themselves.

Nathan, I’ve got two questions.

Could we implement a force ignore option within the new setup? Without going into details some people feel they’ve had stalkers and want to be protected.

I am sure this can be done. The idea is to basically maintain the setup here. While I know stalkers can get around this stuff fairly easily if they cared to, reality is it's an extra barrier and it helps give piece of mind. Am I correct in understanding that this is almost like a ignore user thing in a chat, where you just no longer see anything that user does while that user may still be allowed to be active? Is it more than that? We never had a force ignore feature at ZI in the past, but we never had stalking issues either.

Nathan, what would you say to those that think you’re simply putting on an act to gain our favor? This isn’t meant to say you are, but most of us do not know you, so I hope you can understand our apprehension despite your claim of good intentions.

I think if you'd like to be well received among this community, just hanging out like a normal user and listening to our concerns when they arise will do wonders. Nobody is against you being around, but we're just a bit concerned since we've gone through long periods of time where ZD was in turmoil. Sorry if this was a bit jarring.:sweat:

Honestly, what can I say that won't be conceived as a continued act? I could point out my long standing history in the Zelda community. I could point you towards my numerous commentary on FB and in ZI's comment seciton. I could point you towards my 8,000 or so posts at the ZI boards now. But really, all of this requires you guys doing all this digging and research - it's right there if you care to dig into, but man - who wants to do homework?

There isn't much I can say that will make you feel better of me in that regard. All I can do is prove it to you with time. Anyone who could vouch for me can easily be written off a "a friend". When people think something is an act, there is really no way to disprove it expect to actually show it's not an act - and in the case of me and the boards and the staff, really only time proves that.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I am sure this can be done. The idea is to basically maintain the setup here. While I know stalkers can get around this stuff fairly easily if they cared to, reality is it's an extra barrier and it helps give piece of mind. Am I correct in understanding that this is almost like a ignore user thing in a chat, where you just no longer see anything that user does while that user may still be allowed to be active? Is it more than that? We never had a force ignore feature at ZI in the past, but we never had stalking issues either.
It's an ignore that hides all of two user's content from each other. Everything. Posts, signature, avatar, other images, a usual forum-wide ignore. but in this case, they're, as the name implies, forced to have the ignore and can't disable it themselves. Because of how this obviously can be abused, we only use it for very serious cases. Ones where there just is no other recourse but this. Stalking is once such notable case. And unlike two users who simply don't agree, a stalking issue will not necessarily fade with time.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Honestly, what can I say that won't be conceived as a continued act? I could point out my long standing history in the Zelda community. I could point you towards my numerous commentary on FB and in ZI's comment seciton. I could point you towards my 8,000 or so posts at the ZI boards now. But really, all of this requires you guys doing all this digging and research - it's right there if you care to dig into, but man - who wants to do homework?

There isn't much I can say that will make you feel better of me in that regard. All I can do is prove it to you with time. Anyone who could vouch for me can easily be written off a "a friend". When people think something is an act, there is really no way to disprove it expect to actually show it's not an act - and in the case of me and the boards and the staff, really only time proves that.

Alright Nathanial Rumphol-Janc, only time will tell, but I would suggest you consider those recommendations about getting involved with us on a personal level. It'd help to humanize you. ;)

Alright Nathanial Rumphol-Janc, only time will tell, but I would suggest you consider those recommendations about getting involved with us on a personal level. It'd help to humanize you. ;)

Again, this is another over time thing. ;) I plan to totally be active on the boards and getting involved in the various discussions. I may not get SUPER personal with every member - I do have an entire site to run here that goes beyond just the forums, but I'll be here every day like the rest of you chatting about things (especially Zelda). Because well, I love talking about Zelda!

True I have had less trouble finding suitable addons for IPB than I did with Xenforo.

Majority of the Xenforo ones being paid addons also did not help.

That's just how their marketplace works. Paid addons aren't always bad - they typically stay updated with forum versions because of it.

That being said, I am really confident all addons here can be maintained - I don't know if the data in the xenforo addons can transfer however. Different addons for different software, likely not compatible in that way.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I am concerned that many of our Emotes here will not be carried over to ZI.
These emotes really provided a lot of personality to ZD, and it seems like ZI is very intolerant to them.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I am concerned that many of our Emotes here will not be carried over to ZI.
These emotes really provided a lot of personality to ZD, and it seems like ZI is very intolerant to them.
Oh ****. @Satan do you have am archive of these bad boys? STOP THE MERGER

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
That's just how their marketplace works. Paid addons aren't always bad - they typically stay updated with forum versions because of it.

That being said, I am really confident all addons here can be maintained - I don't know if the data in the xenforo addons can transfer however. Different addons for different software, likely not compatible in that way.

Either way, I volunteer to assist with the transfer in the back end as much as possible.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not to put a bullet in a dead horse many of those emotes have no place anywhere and were just put in for the hell of it (i speak of those godawful super emotes) i think we need to remove at least the ones that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to with Zelda.

Amen bruddah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom