• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Non-Zelda Video Game?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Definitely Fable: Lost Chapters (basically an extended version of the original game). I love the story, the gameplay, the whole concept of your choices forming your character's skills, personality, etc. Plenty of things to do, places to explore, stuff to do.

It's a shame the sequels can't be measured up to the original game. I mean, I love that they give us a bigger (and rather gorgeous) world to be explored, added certain choices (like choosing the gender of your player) and gave your character more options (like earning money through taking jobs, being able to buy more property, getting more choices in where you want to live, more options in getting a partner, the option to start a family - in the third game you could even adopt), but storywise they were weaker (though the third game's royalty-angle was a nice touch), you had less choice in the way you used your weapons/magic (no more flourish, the use of auto-aim rather than having to aim yourself, less choice in which spells you wanted to cast - spell-choice becoming less and less significant with every game), and the gameplay just got too easy (in the original game you could die - by the third game you merely fainted on the spot and then you got to resume playing at the *exact* place you were knocked out - the only thing you lost being the progress to earning your next guild seal...)

I do love playing the sequels, too, but the original game will always be the best one for me.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Mass Effect 2, great gameplay (Not at the level of Zelda, but still pretty great), maybe the best story in any video game I've played, and the relationships you build with your squad mates throughout the trilogy can be really deep if you want them to be.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
My favorite videogame outside of the Zelda series is Resident Evil 5. It is actually a game that Din and I began playing before we got together, and it is just a fun game to play. Can't wait for Resident Evil 6!

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Monster Hunter Tri of course. I have 324 hours in that game, and I still have a bunch to do! I would recommend it to anyone who has enough time and patience.

Favorite non Zelda game/franchise would probably have to be Warcraft. Between Warcraft 3 & World of Warcraft I've spent an absurd amount of time in that universe and have become quite attached to it. I can't say that I've enjoyed some of the more recent Warcraft material, but I'm always interested to see more of it regardless.

Well favorite non Zelda series are Resident Evil, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, and Pokemon.

I don't have any specific favorite serie after Zelda,but my top 5 would be Metroid,Final Fantasy,Kingdom Hearts,Super Mario and Sonic The Hedgehog.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Shadow of the Colosuss.

If it has to be a series, then "the Ico Series" then, because that is what it is a part of. So far, Team Ico has released three games, two of which I've played, Ico and SotC.

These games are unique. They're very "artsy" and atmospheric. In some ways, they remind me of Zelda - set among ruins, with an emphasis on exploration and puzzling. Ico is set in a creepy old castle ruin where the primary objective is solving archetecture puzzles while Shadow of the Colossus is a Boss Rush Game where one must explore the land to ferret-out the bosses, who often have some puzzle involved in defeating them/you have to figure it out. They're both very different than Zelda (or any other games I have played) in that they're extremely stark. In Ico, there are shadow-ghost enemies that show up very seldom - you're pretty much with the girl you meet in the ruins trying to figure out where to go next. In SotC the only enemies are the Colossi - your boss battles. You're otherwise free to explore the landscape without mooks of any kind.

Both games have a very meloncholic feel to them and are fairly emotional / have emotional endings. They also don't have any clear-cut morality / good vs. evil (which also makes them very unlike Zelda). Ico's just a scared kid trying to get out of a castle while Wander, the protagonist of SotC, may or may not be actually a villain, depending upon how you interpret the events and ending of the game.

I'm glad I got a PS2 and got to play these. I'm glad they were reccomended to me by people familar with my original fantasy fiction who insisted "These games are like something you'd write."

I haven't played the third game in the series only because I lack a PS3, and I really want to play it because it has a gryphon, and I love gryphons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom