• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Fast Paced Gameplay?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just a question I would like to ask and discuss and this is the idea of making a Zelda game more fast paced, maybe not all the time, but maybe in specific sequences or sections...

So, in my opinion anyway, I think Zelda games are rather slow paced, in fact I do actually like the pacing of the games l, not to slow nor to fast. However I have always thought just to spice things up, the Zelda series could be in need of faster paced gameplay. Thinking about it, the only parts we see this high intensity pacing is in either combat situations or boss fights, for me I would certainly like to see segments where we see do experience this kind of gameplay. Just an example I had in mind is maybe a section where a structure/building is falling apart and Link has to scale the falling structure within a limited time period. Just a small example I know but I think it could diverse gameplay and add some fresh experiences, that in my opinion could make the game feel more intense.

So tell me what you think about this idea... Would you warm to it or do you think Zelda's pacing should be left as it is?

Puzzles and dungeon-crawling are built to be slower paced activities. The fastest we could go is by making puzzles have more reaction based consequences, and that wouldn't add much in terms of the core gameplay.

I'd say the sprinting mechanic we got in Skyward Sword is about as fast as we're going to get. Running away from Tentalus, Koloktos, and parkouring up walls was all pretty good. and honestly, I think that's the best way to go with things. Perhaps we could just add more aspects that involve sprinting, like the conveyor belts in Lanayru Mining Facility.

But I'd rather we stay the same in terms of pace, I don't want to see Link flying in on enemies throwing out Kingdom Hearts 2 paced magic attacks and swords.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
They tried a faster paced combat in Skyward Sword...fans didn't like it. So I doubt Nintendo will do it again.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
well he actually said, other than combat. cuz as far as that goes, there are some fast pace battles, i noticed a lot in WW, like going into a cave, and walking into an arena type room with the halls up on the side where enemies pour in. I love those sections, Battling WAVES of enemies to get a heart piece, that was cool! or in the Wind temple when that stupid wizrobe keeps spawning enemies till you kill him, frustrating but fun!

As far as faster paced gameplay when it comes to platforming, im not against that either, keep the Sprint button, but get rid of that stupid stamina wheel. I like the Idea you through out JC about buildings falling apart. actually i will expand on that. I always thought "Set Piece" moments were cool. and you remember in AoL when you beat a dungeon, you could no longer return to it. Now some people may not like the idea of not being able to return to dungeons, as sometimes they throw heart pieces and whatnot in there, and if you dont get it the first time you just... well dont get it. BUT! a good way to explain not being able to return would be, Go through the dungeon, defeat the boss, then after the boss is defeated, the structure of the temple crumbles and you have to race out of the dungeon before it collapses on you, that would be cool. Or running into a Boss type character in an area that is a complete disadvantage to you, so you gotta run from it, to get to a better area in which you both are at the same advantage... did i say that right?

Set piece moments are becoming a staple in the video game industry, and im not opposed to LoZ getting some intense moments!

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I wouldn't mind seeing some fast paced, non combat, situations arise; not the entire game, obviously, since that would be a completely different genre, but having some more set piece moments, like snakeoiltanker and justac00lguy mentioned, could be fun. OoT brought some of this into play with the timed elements of the Adult trading sequence and the escape from Ganon's Tower. Expanding on those types of moments, whether they are sidequests or transitions, would be fun to see.

DarkestLink

In terms of puzzles, there's no need for it. The puzzles are meant to focus on the puzzle itself and figuring it out. This isn't a platformer like Mario. The fast paced sections should be reserved for sidequests and mini games. As for combat, I guess SS was apparently too fast or something, but hopefully they won't make it as slow as Wind Waker again.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i hear you on that Darkest Link, the puzzles are just fine the way they are, no need to rush that. So i agree Puzzles should be left out of the Fast Paced portions of the game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They tried a faster paced combat in Skyward Sword...fans didn't like it. So I doubt Nintendo will do it again.

Fans didn't like it not because it was faster paced, but because it was filled with stalling enemies. SS wasn't fast at all.

Here is moderately fast: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - [Terra - JPN] - Part 39 - [Xehanort [Terranort] / Ending & Credits] - YouTube
Compared to SS: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Demise Fight (1080p) - YouTube
——————————————

I made a thread like this in the past and my response is this:
Zelda battles have traditionally been slow in their 3D installments with not much going onscreen and I can't help but notice that most mistakes are made simply by user error, not due to the battle actually being difficult, and this is due to the fact that the battle speed is ridiculously slow at times.

Actually, I noticed this after reviewing my hatred for most of SS, enemies like the Bokoblin aren't annoying entirely due to their mannerisms, but the fact that there isn't much onscreen and not too much going on overall makes the Bokoblin that much more apparent, so griping and *****ing seems to be further justified in those instances.

For me, I really want the battle speed to increase. Most action adventure games aren't exactly fast, but they're far quicker than the regular Zelda game. I mean, compare the battle speed of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep to that of Zelda Twilight Princess.

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Boss Blizzeta - YouTube (TP)
KHBBS - Mysterious Figure (Ven) (No Surges) (Critical) - YouTube (BBS)

Birth by Sleep is vastly faster than TP, and this also makes BBS a bit harder -- enemies don't exactly telegraph their attacks, and you can't wait for a lull period when versing most standard enemies; so much is going on screen that you are almost guaranteed to take damage.

If Zelda games got quicker battle speeds, things would be pretty darn interesting. I'm not asking for KH battle speeds, I'm just asking for quicker Zelda games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Fans didn't like it not because it was faster paced, but because it was filled with stalling enemies. SS wasn't fast at all.

Yes it was. It required quick thinking and reaction skills, forcing players to have to think on the fly. It wasn't the kind of fast-paced action one would typically think of -- loads of enemies flying at you -- but it was fast nonetheless. There's no denying that whatsoever.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes it was. It required quick thinking and reaction skills, forcing players to have to think on the fly. It wasn't the kind of fast-paced action one would typically think of -- loads of enemies flying at you -- but it was fast nonetheless. There's no denying that whatsoever.

Fast in relation to a slow game, sure, but in the grand scheme of gaming, SS is a very slow game. Nevertheless, SS isn't the only slow game in the series - the entire franchise is slow - so I don't care to carry this on any further.

DarkestLink

Here is moderately fast: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - [Terra - JPN] - Part 39 - [Xehanort [Terranort] / Ending & Credits] - YouTube
Compared to SS: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Demise Fight (1080p) - YouTube

I said Skyward Sword. Not Zelda. Compare SS where you attack enemies when you can pinpoint their weak point to tWW where you wait 10 seconds for the A button to flash.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I said Skyward Sword. Not Zelda. Compare SS where you attack enemies when you can pinpoint their weak point to tWW where you wait 10 seconds for the A button to flash.
Uh what? You're referring to The Wind Waker as if you have parry. That's not even remotely true. The combat is a lot quicker if you mash B to get your attacks in, which is effectively "pinpointing their weak point" in Skyward Sword - it's the most effective, most efficient manner of dealing with foes.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Uh what? You're referring to The Wind Waker as if you have parry. That's not even remotely true. The combat is a lot quicker if you mash B to get your attacks in, which is effectively "pinpointing their weak point" in Skyward Sword - it's the most effective, most efficient manner of dealing with foes.

If you're dealing with a basic enemy, yes, but many enemies like Moblins, DarkNuts, Floormasters, etc. will destroy you if you mash B. Likewise in SS, it's pinpoint their weakpoint or don't hit them at all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If you're dealing with a basic enemy, yes, but many enemies like Moblins, DarkNuts, Floormasters, etc. will destroy you if you mash B.

Moblins? They do nothing but block my attacks.
Darknuts? Same, except when bladeless.
Floormasters? Eh, a menial reset to the beginning of the room (or in worst case, the beginning of the temple).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom