• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Fast Paced Gameplay?

well he actually said, other than combat. cuz as far as that goes, there are some fast pace battles, i noticed a lot in WW, like going into a cave, and walking into an arena type room with the halls up on the side where enemies pour in. I love those sections, Battling WAVES of enemies to get a heart piece, that was cool! or in the Wind temple when that stupid wizrobe keeps spawning enemies till you kill him, frustrating but fun!

As far as faster paced gameplay when it comes to platforming, im not against that either, keep the Sprint button, but get rid of that stupid stamina wheel. I like the Idea you through out JC about buildings falling apart. actually i will expand on that. I always thought "Set Piece" moments were cool. and you remember in AoL when you beat a dungeon, you could no longer return to it. Now some people may not like the idea of not being able to return to dungeons, as sometimes they throw heart pieces and whatnot in there, and if you dont get it the first time you just... well dont get it. BUT! a good way to explain not being able to return would be, Go through the dungeon, defeat the boss, then after the boss is defeated, the structure of the temple crumbles and you have to race out of the dungeon before it collapses on you, that would be cool. Or running into a Boss type character in an area that is a complete disadvantage to you, so you gotta run from it, to get to a better area in which you both are at the same advantage... did i say that right?

Set piece moments are becoming a staple in the video game industry, and im not opposed to LoZ getting some intense moments!

I am not so sure about the running before it collapses thing because Metroid Prime hunters did it and utterly it ruined the whole games.
Other than that I think the games move fine the way they are but maybe a timed boss or something. that would heat tings up. Think 3 Heart run Volvagia with no goron tunic. that gives you like 1min max to beat it. talk about a time crunch.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Moblins? They do nothing but block my attacks.

...When was the last time you played? o_O Maybe you just know something I don't, but unless I parry, they always block with their spears.

Darknuts? Same, except when bladeless.

Interesting...how did you get past their armor? Whenever I've done this, it has been completely impervious to my attacks.

Floormasters? Eh, a menial reset to the beginning of the room (or in worst case, the beginning of the temple).

Until it happens over and over again...and it feels far more annoying after you just spent the last hour sailing and playing the command melody....*shudders*

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
...When was the last time you played? o_O Maybe you just know something I don't, but unless I parry, they always block with their spears.
Who, me? Last night, The Wind Waker (Japanese Import). Just circle around them; they tend to circle around with you as well, but they let up every so often. If this doesn't work...try items. I find the Boomerang to be particularly helpful. ;)

Interesting...how did you get past their armor? Whenever I've done this, it has been completely impervious to my attacks.
Circle around them, just like you would do the Twilight Princess variant. Stabs deal minimal damage to their armor - piercing damage I should call it - and they particularly effective from the side. :)

Until it happens over and over again...and it feels far more annoying after you just spent the last hour sailing and playing the command melody....*shudders*
XD I definitely hear you on that one.

Hmm...I hear a lot of complaints about faster game speeds in general not allowing the player to relax. Tell me, were you ever relaxed in a session of Ocarina of Time where you were out adventuring? How about Skyward Sword in the midst of a temple, or maybe a minigame? Oh, perhaps you were relaxed when playing the best minigame ever in Twilight Princess...the famous Rollgoal?

For me, it's no to all of them. I'm never relaxed when playing a Zelda game, except when I'm doing pointless things like fishing - and even then, I tense up when playing Twilight Princess. However, the tension is duly noted as unwarranted; things aren't coming at me like a ton of bricks, more like a sack of feathers. Puzzles are simple and require little thought (this is probably attributable to the fact that I'm a Zelda veteran and have played the games in many different manners). Enemies are almost on the run from you, when I feel it should be the other way around. Heck, not even Bosses are particularly gruesome. Shouldn't we get at least faster speeds to compensate?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Just an example I had in mind is maybe a section where a structure/building is falling apart and Link has to scale the falling structure within a limited time period. Just a small example I know but I think it could diverse gameplay and add some fresh experiences, that in my opinion could make the game feel more intense.
Ocarina of Time...

What is wrong with the pacing now?

I'm not even sure how you would make it more fast paced. Link usually runs at a slow speed unless he has an item that let's him go faster (and the stamina bar thing in SS, almost forgot about that). I know it's not just about his speed. Like you said they could make high intensity situations or fast paced battles.

Oh...I guess I do know how they would make it more fast paced.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ocarina of Time...

What is wrong with the pacing now?

I'm not even sure how you would make it more fast paced. Link usually runs at a slow speed unless he has an item that let's him go faster (and the stamina bar thing in SS, almost forgot about that). I know it's not just about his speed. Like you said they could make high intensity situations or fast paced battles.

Oh...I guess I do know how they would make it more fast paced.

Combat is one way, and probably the most important way, but things like the dash function in SS also help speed up the pace by making things flow more smoothly.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Look at OOT. The dungeons were relatively long, but the overworld was easily and quickly navigable. In TWW, it was the opposite. The dungeons were quick, but the overworld was ridiculously slow to traverse. If you mash those two games together, you'd have a perfectly paced game IMO.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Ocarina of Time...
Btw, if no one got why I said that...

Idk if spoilers, just to be safe, click if you dare or played if played Oot
What Jc said sounded exactly like that part in Ganon's Castle after you "defeat" Gonnondorf in Ocarina of Time
Felt like explaining that for some reason.

Look at OOT. The dungeons were relatively long, but the overworld was easily and quickly navigable. In TWW, it was the opposite. The dungeons were quick, but the overworld was ridiculously slow to traverse. If you mash those two games together, you'd have a perfectly paced game IMO.

I'm not sure if that would make it perfect. They would need to know the limit because there is such thing as too fast paced.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Fast paced gameplay? Sure.

Increase Link's and enemy attack damage, attack speed, and movement speed.

Maybe it's just me but the 3D installment are generally slower. A Link to the Past is one of my favorite installments because every room, hallway was filled with a group of enemies and a puzzle-be it simple switch hitting or something requiring more thought.

If your idea of increasing game speed is introducing more parkour elements emulating Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed, you're not looking in the correct location. That would be changing the franchise's identity.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm not sure if that would make it perfect. They would need to know the limit because there is such thing as too fast paced.

Ya, I guess it was a bit of an exaggeration... but I meant they should make a game in which you spend about as much time in the overworld as you do in dungeons. In OOT, there wasn't much to do outside of dungeons, compared to dungeon size. In TWW, we were forced to spend tons of time in the overworld, and hardly any time in dungeons. If they put the two games together, then it would have a good pace. Especially if the dungeons were long, but not too long.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Maybe it's just me but the 3D installment are generally slower. A Link to the Past is one of my favorite installments because every room, hallway was filled with a group of enemies and a puzzle-be it simple switch hitting or something requiring more thought.

A Link to the Past isn't really fast-paced. It just has a crapload of enemies and hazards in its dungeons. Which makes up for the lack of speed, of course. The only Zelda games to have truly fast-paced combat are Zelda II and Skyward Sword, although even Zelda II relies more on the amount of enemies than the flow of the combat itself.

If your idea of increasing game speed is introducing more parkour elements emulating Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed, you're not looking in the correct location. That would be changing the franchise's identity.

How? Adding onto already existing gameplay elements without changing the core formula isn't "changing [a] franchise's identity". It's evolving the series; moving it forward in ways previously unseen. Skyward Sword already took a step in that direction (parkour) by giving Link the ability to run up walls and swiftly climb up ledges. Having even more advanced parkour elements would work wonders for electrifying the Zelda experience. I'm not saying the series needs to focus on the parkour, I'm just saying it would benefit from fleshing it out.

It'd be nice to spice up Zelda with elements of faster events but then look at capcom and resident evil or eidos and tomb raider, quick time laden messes- that isn't to say that a faster Zelda would be QTE laden but it would probably mean more scripted events within dungeons and overworlds to force Link to escape or remove something before it too late, meaning you'll probably only have one chance at it. Escaping a crumbling dungeon (assuming it isn't the last one like in OoT) would most likely mean that you wouldnt be able to return to it...

My suggestion on how Zelda could be faster paced is to have a control system like Devil May Cry and more enemies which stand up to more punishment, some aerial combat from Link wouldn't go amiss, nor would fighting enemies which dont explode after half a combo...

although another solution for faster paced gameplay is to keep Zelda how it is but make more use of items... if the pegasus boots were to come back we could chase down enemies, have longer auto jumps to get over canyons, we could hooks shot an enemy and equip the pegasus boots and drag them along the land until they die, there are lots of missed opportunities as far as items go in Zelda for Nintendo to cut loose with they just dont, Zelda by nature seems to be a rather tranquil and slow experience (rather like Link's character) but it doesn't have to be that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom