• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Epona

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Just had a thought. Well two thoughts.

First: Some people place TP on the child timeline. However, if this was so Link would never own Epona. I know some people will say 'but he could have got her through some other method.' However, Malon tells us that Epona is her favourite and it is fairly certain that she woud never give Epona away. Epona can only be acquired by defeating Ingo, and on the CT he never becomes the owner of the ranch.

Second: I have heard speculation that TP is 100 years after OoT. If this was so, Epona would not be alive. Also, as far as I am concerned there is no way that it could simply be a different horse as there was always something special about Epona. She cant just be replaced. Plus, not many other horses are that colour and the fact that she responds to Link playing 'Eponas song' on the horseweed/ horsecall means it must be the same horse.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Link still knew Epona's Song when he returned to being a child, so he could call Epona.

It is a different horse. There is no possible way a single horse could live for 100 years. It was just something special the developers threw in for the fans. If you want to be technical about it, one could say that it's a descendant of the first Epona, or a reincarnation.

zzRICHzz

own & finished all Zeldas
its definitally a different horse in TP and i dont think that TP is supposed to be 100 yrs after OoT, i'm sure its 100's of yrs after. anyway i agree with swiftblade it would have to be reincarnation of epona... so that it fits better in the game.

or... maybe its a different horse all together because you do have the option to change her name before you start the game

Epona was a great addition to the series and i'm sure they just wanted to re-use horseback riding and improve on it (which they did)

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Link had epona in majora's mask so I think we can assume he somehow got her on the child timeline.

That doesn't answer why epona is alive, though. I have two answers, and both are pretty crazy.

1) Epona is immortal... I won't even try to support it though because that's quite unlikely.

2. She's a reincarnation. But it's probably a descendant, not a reincarnation. Maybe that line of horses somehow "knows" the song.

But it might not even be the same horse (as stated above), it's just a default name although they are very similar (the horses).

Then remember it's a video game and nintendo probably just wanted to bring epona back in some way.

T

Tatlfaerie

I think it's a different horse. I don't remember her having a marking on her forehead. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm pretty sure she has a marking. Descendant would also make sense, though.

Well I am sure that this Link is not OoT Link. And if this is at least 100 years later as we are told, then this is probably a different horse. I would guess that just like many young boys are called Link, many horses are called Epona. Or maybe this Link and Epona are descendants of the originals.

It is impossible to have the same horse live for 100+ years. Link got Epona on the CT in OoT obviously, because he had her in MM. Once he knew the song, Epona would come to him.

Epona's Song, just like Epona's name, is a pretty well known thing because of OoT. Just because the horse in TP is pre-named Epona, doesn't make it the same horse. Link is pre-named Link, but that doesn't mean its the same one from OoT or ALttP or LoZ, etc.

Sorry, but there's really no other options for discussion on this subject. It is a different horse.

Last edited by a moderator:

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I just dont comply with the fact it has to be a descendent. I'm pretty fed up in Zelda of everyone giving their children the same name. Surely this isnt going to happen with horses too? I also just dont see how people can just say 'it is not the same horse.' There is no proof for this. True there is no proof that it in fact is the same horse, however, I will stick by my theory until proved that it cannot be the same horse.

I think it's a different horse. I don't remember her having a marking on her forehead. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm pretty sure she has a marking. Descendant would also make sense, though.

Ah. This is interesting. I will look into this. This could be the proof I was hoping for.

There is no way it is the same Epona, Very much like how it is not the same Link, The closest you are going to get with this is what Swiftblade said, This Epona is probably a decendant of the OoT Epona, I don't think that it may be a reincarnation but it could be.

Also if you want to be picky about it you could also say that 'There is no way that a Immortal Man can die' but he can much like he does in TP.

I just dont comply with the fact it has to be a descendent. I'm pretty fed up in Zelda of everyone giving their children the same name. Surely this isnt going to happen with horses too? I also just dont see how people can just say 'it is not the same horse.' There is no proof for this. True there is no proof that it in fact is the same horse, however, I will stick by my theory until proved that it cannot be the same horse.

Do you have any proof that horses can live about 150 years? Because if you believe that, then I guess it would be easy to believe its the same horse. But when you come back to the realization that a horse living that long is very impossible, not to mention even if a horse did somehow live that long, it would be crippled, old, and quite immobile.

No offence intended, but it is impossible for TP's horse to be the same one from OoT. There really is no argument here. And no one is gonna come up with some big revelation of important in-game fact that says "Epona is different than the one from OoT", because something like that is 1.) Obvious, and 2.) Unimportant to the plot whatsoever.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
The general life-span for a horse in captivity is in our world 20-25 years. But this is no reason why things couldn´t be different in Hyrule. Maybe horses there can/do live for hundreds of years. It (Hyrule) is another world (if you ask the majority of us) and anything is possible there I would guess.

Still I believe it´s a different Epona we experience in Twilight Princess and I also believe she´s a descendant, I do see some traits.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I believe that they are different horses, the same way that there are different Links.
The fact that it is also attracted by Epona's Song, just proves that that song is probably a song used by people to call their horses.
The thought that it is the same Epona as the OoT one, to me, is absolutely ridiculous.
Even if horses were capable of living for so long(wich they aren't, not here, not Hyrule, not anywhere), Epona would look like an older Horse, but, TP's Epona is clearly a youthful horse, full of power, not some old decrepit old horse

Immortal_One

Math is power.
Epona would look like an older Horse, but, TP's Epona is clearly a youthful horse, full of power, not some old decrepit old horse
Lulz, an old decrepit Epona, interesting thought xD

Anyway, I'm sure it's a different horse. If it were the same horse, the idea that horses can live upwards of 100-150 years would be significant enough to include within some portion of the game. Since they didn't mention anything though, it can't be the same Epona.

One single word from the Executives though, could change it all.

No. I do not have any proof. However, neither do you have any proof that the game is 150 years later. NOTHING on the timeline is certain.

Actually I do. Its called "developer quotes". I'm stealing this from Zeruda in another thread since she has sources attached. Hope you don't mind, Zeruda.:) This is one of the more popular and recent quotes, from Aonuma, about the timeline. It states where TP and WW fall into place, and around about how many years are in between.

"About when is the Twilight Princess timeline set?

Aonuma: 'In a world some hundred years after 'Ocarina of Time.'

"And 'Wind Waker"

Aonuma: 'Wind Waker' is parallel. In 'Ocarina of Time,' Link jumps to
a world seven years ahead, defeats Ganon, and returns to the time of
his childhood, right? 'Twilight Princess' is a world a hundred some
years after that pacified childhood time.'
(SOURCE, 2)

See that? "Some Hundred Years"... Which means at least 100 and probably more.

PWND

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom