• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Epona - How The...?

thereasonbeing

The Floor is Lava
So I was playing TP the other day and began thinking..

How on earth is it possible for Epona to be in this game when it takes place so long after OoT / MM (Where we last saw her)

There seems to be only two very far-fetched explanations to this :

1 - She's immortal! Epona has the crazy ability to live forever and simply waited for another reincarnation of Link to come along and found him in Ordon Village hundreds of years later.

2 - She's a reincarnation! Like Link, she's just a reincarnation of (or possibly even related to) the old Epona. Though it does seem like a complete coincidence that another Link should become a hero AND have a horse thats called Epona! The fact that she is attracted to Epona's song from OoT / MM seems to back up theory number 1.

I know i'm looking into this way too much, but hey, what do YOU guys think??

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The way I see it, she is a totally different horse. Technically, this horse doesn't even need to be Epona, as you can name her whatever you like. Or since Link is a rancher, he has heard stories from people in the village who have heard about Lon Lon Ranch. Perhaps Malon, as Link marrying Malon makes the most sense, as he is brought up in a farming village.

Last edited:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Ordon is a town based around farming. Meaning they use horses.

If any part of the the story of the Hero of Time survives, wouldn't the role of Epona, the legendary horse that jumped the fence to escape the relentless persecutor and aide the Hero defeat evil lord Ganon, be like the legend among legends in a vilage such as Ordon?

Thus, wouldn't the best horses all be named after Epona? And wouldn't they be taught Epona's Song to try and fulfill the prophecy previously fulfilled?

The communities of Hyrule and especially Ordon passed down this tradition and it's a lot more probable than strange coincidence.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i think i have a more reasonable explanation.

Link and Malon got married! they moved into the forest, brought Epona with them, and the TP Link is their child. and Epona gave birth to another Epona in her final years of life, and that Epona gave birth to another Epona, and Epona's Song became a family song that was passed down and taught to each generation... hmm?

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I've heard a theory that mentions the Link from Twilight Princess being a descendant from Child Link, who married Malon and went to Ordon.

If that theory was right, then the horse name would be a thing of heritage. Or as Phantom Triforce said, its name doesn't have to be Epona, as you are allowed to name it.

Or maybe Epona is inmortal, after all, she can hurt enemies (even giant Dodongos!!) just by running into them, can't she? :P

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It's a different horse with the same name, same as with Link and Zelda...

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I was going to say the same thing Cuju. I think it's pretty clear that in most Zelda games, each Link is different. Each Zelda is different, and of course, each horse would be different. This excludes the games that are connected to each other, of course, like OoT/MM, where yes, that Epona is the same one, as is Link.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I don't think she's necessarily a descendent, I mean, maybe, but she's just another horse. And her default name in TP is Epona, and they probably put that there because that was her name in OoT/MM. And they give you the opportunity to change her name, so I don't think there has to be a connection there at all.

I always keep her name as Epona. :nod:

She's probably just another horse. People are just familiar with Link riding Epona. Epona was the only horse in MM and OoT that responded to Epona's Song. The horse grass plays Epona's Song when you blow on it, so maybe since this horse responds to Epona's song there is some relation to the Hero of Time or Epona. But I doubt they're the same horse.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
The Epona in OoT/MM is the same Epona obviously since OoT & MM are direct sequels. The Epona in OoT/MM isn't a reincarnation...she isn't immortal...etc. It's kind of the same thing with each game's Link. They look very similar, have the same name, etc. But they aren't always related to each other some how. Some games, yes, others, no.

Basically, they put Epona in TP just because she was in OoT/MM, and it would feel weird with a different horse. There's no proof or evidence of the one in TP being related to the other one. The most likely cause is just what some of you have been saying, they just heard the legend of the Hero of Time and his horse.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I believe that the Epona in Twilight Princess is a completely different one from the Epona in Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask. I think that her design and loyalty are similar, but not the same. Because TP is was designed like Oot, I think they just decided to use the same type of horse.

Beeker

Wild Card
I think this Epona is a different horse. In games like OoT and MM, Epona was somewhat important. Since they were to use horses in TP, they probably left Epona as a default name to keep the spirit of the original. Just like there's always a Link and a Zelda, if there's a horse, it'll probably be an Epona.

As for actual relation, I don't think that this Epona is related to OoT's/MM's. They probably just kept her design and concepts.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think this Epona is a different horse. In games like OoT and MM, Epona was somewhat important. Since they were to use horses in TP, they probably left Epona as a default name to keep the spirit of the original. Just like there's always a Link and a Zelda, if there's a horse, it'll probably be an Epona.

As for actual relation, I don't think that this Epona is related to OoT's/MM's. They probably just kept her design and concepts.

My thoughts exactly. It's just a different horse with the default name Epona.

T

Toonwolflink418

i think that its nothing special that (horse) responds to the horseshoe grass, i think the tune it makes (eponas song) was just an easter egg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom