• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dungeons Without An Exit

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Just wondering if you guys would like this idea in Skyward Sword, they used it in WW when you get cannonballed onto the forsaken fortress. Would you like to see this idea again? a dungeon that you can't really leave until you beat it, it might have weak enemies though.. anyway they could pull it off like, Link falls in a hole that's too high to climb out and then he's in the dungeon, or something to that effect. or do you like to be able to leave at anytime. in MM you didn't really want to leave because then your progress was reset. but I don't think SS will be like MM in that way... so yeah, is a dungeon with no exit not your style? or are you craving for some new dungeon/temple ideas?

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Not being able to exit a dungeon is actually not that bad of an idea. I enjoyed it in WW when you were at the Forsaken Fortress, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it if it was included in SS. It kind of gives you a reason to keep playing the game and to not give up until you finish what you started. But, with something that's good, there's always going to be something that gives a negative view towards it. Usually getting out of a dungeon for a little while is a good thing, because it gives you some time to roam about when you don't feel like being in a dungeon anymore.

It's a good idea though. If SS were to include dungeons without exits, then I'd like them to be a lot more difficult then. Usually the dungeons are a little simple and easy, in my opinion, so it'd be nice to have something different for a change and have the difficulty level be just a bit higher. With that, I think it'd be beneficial to make the dungeons a little bigger then, if this were to be included. It'd be nicer to have a big dungeon with a high difficulty level, than having the opposite of that. Overall, this is a really good idea, and it's something that I personally would like to see be included in SS.

David

But you called me here...
I think that that's a good idea, but I would really like there to be hard enemies in the dungeon rather than easy enemies. I've always loved having a challenge when it comes to videogames. Something like the Cave of ordeals but in dungeon form and with no check points would be pretty awesome. I love that idea.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I barely noticed that Forsaken Fortress had no exit... mostly because I remember that later in the game, after getting the King of Red Lions, I could leave anytime I wanted. Besides, there was really nowhere else you would want to go at that point in the game, having no bottles or shops open, and not having seen any other islands.

But honestly, I would never support the idea in anything besides the first dungeon, like it was done in WW. I would be very upset if I ran out of items, and had no escape. Or if I couldn't save in the middle of the dungeon... that was one of the things that bothered me about PH's Temple of the Ocean King.

In MM, you could leave the dungeon without having your progress reset, you just couldn't reset time. So basically, you could clear the way to the boss, and then stop by an item shop in order to pick up some potions before returning... if you had enough time, that is. Also, you COULD save obtaining the dungeon's weapon, which usually allowed you to skip ahead to the boss key and and boss door with less trouble than before.

One of the reasons I enjoy Zelda, is because it doesn't have those kind of frustrating design choices. I can save whenever, and if I lose... just find my way back to where I was before. I would hate having to redo an entire dungeon just because I failed to beat the boss. That kind of thing goes against the spirit of Zelda, and would ruin one of my favorite aspects of Zelda.

Alar

Clothed in Green
Personally i believe they wont do it because Nintendo are trying to appeal to casual gamers so... they would probably have an item kind of like oocca but not the oocca used to warp you out of the dungeon

So a dungeon without an exit would have to be a quite an easy dungeon probably early on in the game like in Wind Waker , with the forsaken fortress

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I wouldn't mind this. It'd be sort of like a traditional side scroller concept where you must win to continue. Not a big issue really, but old school fans would have a sh** fest because they can't explore or whatever it is they're talking about these days :xd:

The idea of not being able to leave a dungeon is fine as long as you've already been forced to get all the items you need and have advanced the plot far enough. It's no big deal as far as the dungeon goes, but it has more implications for the rest of the game. I don't think it will be the case that they will do something like this, unless, like in Wind Waker, the plot is such that you have nothing else to do. Like, nothing. If there's anything left to explore then I don't see the designers locking you into a dungeon.

Cool idea. But this gave me a great idea. A dungeon with two exits! They did this in Arbiters Ground where the exit lead to the Mirror Chamber. What if there are certain parts of the land you can only access by going through a dungeon? That would be cool. I mean, later there could be a shortcut opened up or warping or something. But example. Your in the woods and you find the forest temple. Once you beat it, you exit out the back and there is a forest village and a hidden woods area and a pond area. All areas you can only access through that specific dungeon. Later you can access it through a Sky passage or something, but on land you can only access it through the dungeon.

Just an idea.

S

Shika

I would love to see that feeling of danger turned up a few notches...and a dungeon with no exit would certainly provide that given it was challenging enough. Having Link pushing through because it's his only option, even when he's dropping to low health and getting beat around, just adds a kind of adrenaline and excitement that the Zelda series could really use.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I agree with athenian. It's a good idea to do that, but it could be a bad one. So one thing you could do is to be able to re-fill on supplies frequently. But not so frequently that the entire dungeon becomes easy. There should also be a couple of treasure chests throughout the dungeon that gives you a normal potion.

Kybyrian

It seems like a pretty neat idea, but there are a lot of flaws that could be pointed out. One would be not being able to exist to get more of an item. This can be fixed by making the items that are located inside of pots respawn when leaving an area instead of just bringing back an empty pot. Except for the ones with fairies, of course. ;) There can always be the argument of players with little skill, however. Nintendo is aiming to please a lot of younger gamers with a lot of their games, and I don't think this would cater to the younger gamers with lesser amounts of skill. They run out of red potions and suddenly they can't exit and they can't progress in the dungeon. They can't even leave to go mess around Hyrule Field for the next two hours. They're stuck in the dungeon, too bad, nothing you can do about it. This is something that I don't approve of and something that I feel will happen if this idea is incorporated into Skyward Sword.

It was a good idea in The Wind Waker because The Forsaken Fortress was mainly based on stealth. You could sneak past the enemies and didn't have to do any fighting until right at the end when you got your sword back and had to fight the enemies there. If they did use this idea in Skyward Sword, then they should do something similar to The Wind Waker where the younger gamers will still be able to complete it pretty easily. We all know that Nintendo would be worried about some of their gamers never being able to progress and never even being able to exit to get more potions or anything of the sort. There are workarounds that you could think of for most of the flaws, but I think for the most part this idea is better left unused.

This is one of the ideas that when i read it I think. Oh, it sounds like a good idea, indeed bring it in!! But then I think that probably if they did it wouldn't be as enjoyable as I initially thought. I think it would be frustrating if they just put it in. If they do something like that they must find a way to cleverly apply the idea. in forsaken fortress I didn't even feel it, because it was very well flown with the story, I wasn't even sure, as a first dungeon if it was what I could call a dungeon. I hid around I tried to reach up and find the sister, at this point I was open to anything. So if there was something like this to be implemented I hope they make it as enjoyable out of the habit like this one was.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
It is a very interesting concept. So it would be good to see it. Also, I would like to see the exact opposite, dungeons with many entrances/exits, just like the Skull Woods in ALttP (Dark World Dungeon 3).

S

SageOfDawn51

I am for one who hated not being able to leave the dungeon. I know it took like 10 minutes and was super easy, but this gives you no chance for exploration. What if you need a bottle of water to get to the boss room and you skipped the bottle sidequest???

Oracle of Time

Knows your future
Well I thank "Dungeons without exits" are a great idea! I don't think Link should leave till he completed the dungeon, and if you need to stalk up on potions, arrows ,ect, there should be like a store in the dungeon.

Dungeons without an exit sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom