• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dungeon Weekly #01: Inside the Great Deku Tree

Dungeon Weekly - Every Thursday

Week #01: Inside the Great Deku Tree

The Great Deku tree is the guardian of the Kokiri Forest, it keeps the forest's inhabitants safe, the Kokiri children. When the tree contracts a mysterious disease put on him by Ganondorf after the tree refused to hand him the Kokiri Emerald, Link is called to venture inside and destroy the scourge making this the first dungeon in Ocarina of Time.

Design
The Great Deku Tree contains five floors, of which three are above ground in the trunk and two are underground. The two higher floors resemble the top of the tree, where the rooms branch outwards like the branches of the tree. The two lower rooms are just simple basements of the tree, containing a lot of water that moisturize the wooden walls of the tree. The boss room is a large room covered with spider webs and held up by large columns.

Features
There is quite a bit of forest related variety in this dungeon. In the center room there's vines on the curved wall of the trunk to climb up to reach higher floors. The Skulltulas make climbing much more difficult and the Deku Scrubs have a creative way of being defeated. You also meet a switch puzzle on the top floors to so you can get the dungeon item, the Fairy Slightshot. The slingshot is made use in the dungeon too by shooting down the ladder directly behind you to proceed.

To get down to the lower levels you must jump from the highest point through the giant web in the floor at the bottom, a very creative way of moving. You land in some water, which means you have some kind of water puzzle to complete too. You are able to burn the cobwebs that are in the way with a Deku Stick that's on fire, another puzzle. There's also a puzzle where you have to defeat some enemies in a certain order! There's a very lot of variety in this first dungeon surprisingly. It's also different how it's taken place inside a tree.

Boss
The boss of the dungeon, Queen Gohma, is a giant arachnid, parasitic creature that lunges at you with force. It climbs onto the ceiling of the room and gives birth to Gohma Larva eggs. If you don't destroy the eggs quick enough they'll hatch and you'll be attacked by lots of smaller Gohmas. The way to kill the creature is by hitting its eye with your slingshot or Deku Nuts to stun it, then hit it in the eye with anything you can. It can also be hit from the ceiling. Fairly okay boss.

Conclusion
This dungeon contains a great layout, a large variety of puzzles and a fairly good boss.

RATING: 9/10

You may disagree with me, you may agree. My job is to point out the good things, now your job is to tell me what's bad about the dungeon. Leave what you think and your rating in the comments below. Thanks!

- GreenGyser :chu:

It doesn't say she's a spider, referred to as an arachnid. Just like you said in my other article.

Arachnid is incorrect as well, at least in the OoT iteration. I think TP is the only time it's actually an arachnid. Either way it's no doubt based on arachnids. In some iterations it looks like a crab, in others it looks like a spider.

Interesting read! I love OoT, and I think it's among the best in Zelda dungeon designs. The Deku Tree makes a solid first dungeon, but it's still fairly week especially in comparison to the rest of the dungeons. I would probably give it like 6/10. It's more a tutorial dungeon then an actual dungeon. That being said it was the first 3D game so it's not surprising they would create a dungeon to serve that purpose. The atmosphere is great though for sure. In fact I think OoT nailed dungeon atmosphere better then any other Zelda game.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i disagree but it's good as a first dungeon. would give it 7/10 as it does have some good elements to it

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I found it very easy, but that was probably because it was the first dungeon. I have also wondered why the Deku Tree was so hollow. Dont trees need to have lots of wood in the center in order to survive?

Actually, I disagree with this rating entirely. It should get a 0 for having a lot of creepy spiders DX
Lol, actually, the spiders made me not be able to play when I was little I was so afraid of them^^
But really, it's a good review of the dungeon, these are cool...
Though I feel like The Deku Tree should loose some points for just all of a sudden dying on you...That was kinda a troll move...

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I really liked the tree, how it was set up, and what lies within it. I don't like the rating> It was simplistic and great as a first dungeon but it should be ranked along with the harder ones therefore giving it a lower level unless thats what you honestly think.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
:lol: What is this thread? Axle better watch out or you'll be the one doing ZD mailbags soon. ;)

I found the brevity of the dungeon to be a bit disappointing, however, when observed in the larger picture of Ocarina of Time as a whole, one realizes that this cemented the game's position as having a lightning quick intro and jump into the fray.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
The Deku Tree is an excellent first dungeon and really captures the feel of the forest. it introduces the player to the typical dungeon experience in Ocarina of Time. I also, think they did a great job increasing the dificulity in the Master Quest and made the puzzles appropriate to the dungeon. the boss was rather lame in dificulity, I have to say and the Deku Tree isn't as highly ranked when compared to other dungeons. I would put it at 8/10.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Arachnid is incorrect as well, at least in the OoT iteration. I think TP is the only time it's actually an arachnid. Either way it's no doubt based on arachnids. In some iterations it looks like a crab, in others it looks like a spider.

Well, when you face Gohma and her name shows up on the screen, her title above the name says: "Parasitic Armored Arachnid". She is a mix between a parasite and an arachnid with an armored body.
BTW, in the original TLoZ Gohma is an arachnid as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom