• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dragons in Zelda

Yup yup those are my sprites. Spliced from pokemon sprites, and some random battle sprite base for RPG Maker(humans) Notice that the Link is my avatar.

For a complete breakdown...

Loftwings: Pidgeot, pidgeotto, fearow
Levias: Wailord, gyarados
Faron: Dragonair, charmeleon, sceptile, meganium
Eldin: Dragonair, charmeleon, sceptile, charmander, feraligatr
Lanayru: Dragonair, charmeleon, sceptile, charizard

Figures I would see your avatar after asking the question. And well yeah, those combinations make sense, haha. Anyway, I'd like to see how you make out with the entire SS cast.

And just out of curiosity, how did you perceive these dragon-types to be in the game. Neutral/demonic/godly and plentiful/average/rare?

I wanted these Dragon types to be like any other race in Zelda like Gorons, Zora etc. So I'd say neutral.

I wanted these Dragon types to be like any other race in Zelda like Gorons, Zora etc. So I'd say neutral.

Wings? No wings? Maybe they could be a better rendering of the Oocca? The boss there was a dragon. In that case, I'm starting to fancy the idea more. I'd been trying to develop a new race, to kind of replace the Oocca (not really, just be a better version), called Phoena, which would essentially be flying, angelic creatures. But if the dragon theme is more applicable, then maybe I can avoid the cliche angel stuff.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This is such a good idea. I've been wanting dragons to have a much bigger role in the series for years, being more than protectors of a province. Rather I'm still hoping for land-based dragons; that is, those who patrol the overworld and will attack if they notice Link. Might sound a bit like Skyrim, but then The Elder Scrolls series seems to take many things from LoZ, adding its own twist to each aspect of course. So I don't see why Zelda can't do the same and borrow dragons, for one thing, as an adversary pulling off its own interpretation.

Considering that, the participation of dragons in the Zelda franchise can take on many forms. They can be standard enemies, who appear regularly throughout the game and even grow more difficult as the story progresses, like the Bokoblins in SS. In Twilight Princess there were these huge vulture-like birds which pursued Link when spotted. I can see dragon enemies doing this same thing. Secondly Link could have a dragon that he uses to navigate certain terrains (such as breaching a large, bridgeless chasm). Just think back to the Shadow Kargorak, also from TP, which we had to ride in order to reach the higher grounds belonging to the Zoras. Of course riding the dragon wouldn't be so narrow, but more like embarking on a Loftwing through the open Sky.

Lastly the role I'd most of all want to see a dragon take part in is that of an overworld boss. I know that it could virtually be a repeat of the battle with Argorak, but this would have a different caliber altogether. It would actually be more like the confrontation with Ganon Beast in Ocarina of Time: you could move around freely and try to get around to the weak spot (just say it's under the beast's stomach), and attack when it's open. Meanwhile the dragon will be defending by blowing fire, swiping out its claws, and whipping its tail around, in sequence. It can even perform aerial assaults by diving and hacking, in which case Link would have to mind where it would be attacking. The end result would feel like an genuine dragon fight that would, in my opinion, be a fitting addition to Zelda.

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
I would love to see more of dragons. What if there was a side quest in one game where zelda is captured by a dragon andblink must rescue her as thevknight in shining armor. Not happening most likely. Dragons are really cool and it would be cool to see if we could make a dragon our ally and fly on it and breathe fire!

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I love dragons. They are really interesting and intriguing mythical creatures, and it's always a joy to see them in videogames, such as Zelda and Skyrim. Because, c'moon, they're just plain epic.
But yes, I prefer the western style dragons more in my opinion. The wings and all just make them more majestic, rather than serpent like flying creatures with no wings and so on. I think they are just more epic, and yes, I'm over using the word. But nonetheless, I always enjoy seeing dragons in Zelda, and would like to see them in future as well, yes:]

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I love dragons. They are really interesting and intriguing mythical creatures, and it's always a joy to see them in videogames, such as Zelda and Skyrim. Because, c'moon, they're just plain epic.
But yes, I prefer the western style dragons more in my opinion. The wings and all just make them more majestic, rather than serpent like flying creatures with no wings and so on. I think they are just more epic, and yes, I'm over using the word. But nonetheless, I always enjoy seeing dragons in Zelda, and would like to see them in future as well, yes:]
Have you ever tried Spyro? That's another great dragon game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I saw the title and immediately thought "Skyrim". #influence

I would like to see more Dragons, but please God do NOT make them a race of friendlies save a few. I know dragons to be those fire-breathing, flesh eating monsters, not a bunch of friendlies who you go on adventures with to save the world. I mean, it'd be cool to tame ONE of them for a boss battle or some such, but beyond that I don't want NPC vendors, armorsmiths or anything like that out of a dragon. I would much rather see 10 of them charging me for next to no reason at all than for them to be my friends. ._.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom