• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does the 3DS Hurt Your Eyes/head?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
So, I am probably not going to get a 3DS until my birthday...so like a 5 month wait...yay. But I've heard from a few people that it hurts your eyes and head. So for you guys is this the case? I am just wondering because I get migraines and headaches and my sister has vision and head problems so we were wondering whether it is worth buying one.

So, for anyone out there with a 3DS, does it hurt your head/eyes?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No, everything seems fine to me. I don't understand the problem. And it's not a reason to not get one because 3D can easily be turned off.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Glad you don't have a problem with it, and I know it can be turned off but what I mean is I don't want to waste money on it if it hurts my eyes ;)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Glad you don't have a problem with it, and I know it can be turned off but what I mean is I don't want to waste money on it if it hurts my eyes ;)

Sorry, I wasn't directing that last part to you. It's because I hear people complain about little things like that and use it as an excuse not to buy it. It just really bugs me. The 3D is just a gimmick, now the games are another story.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Oh, exactly. The games are supposed to be fantastic, I'll probably end up getting a 3DS just because of OoT if I don't get one already.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Well, I played a sample of the 3DS at the mall a few days ago. I played that little flying Mii game. The 3D suprised me a bit at first, and it was a bit dizzying for a while. Once I got used to it, which took me only about a minute or two, I was fine. I did turn down the 3D to see what that was like, and I think that would help you if you get headaches from heavy 3D.

My mother actually asked the man behind the counter at GameStop if anyone had gotten sick from the 3DS yet. He said it would probably just be people with motion sickness or other eye/head related problems.

So, does it really hurt your head? Maybe a little, until you get used to it. Problem is, if you don't get used to it, or you can't see it properly, it more than likely will make you dizzy.

David

But you called me here...
I don't have one, and I haven't played one yet, but that wouldn't be an issue to stop me from getting the 3DS. The console looks awesome enough for me to want it, no matter what the cost. Its also convenient that you can turn off the 3D effects, which might help with your problem, if it occurs.

jugglaj91

I am me....
At first I had a slight problem with my eyes when I played it a a demo at a Best Buy. Once I got mine and started messing around with it, not anymore. I was so happy to not have my eyes bug out.

Beeker

Wild Card
Well, I played a sample of the 3DS at the mall a few days ago. I played that little flying Mii game. The 3D suprised me a bit at first, and it was a bit dizzying for a while. Once I got used to it, which took me only about a minute or two, I was fine. I did turn down the 3D to see what that was like, and I think that would help you if you get headaches from heavy 3D.

My mother actually asked the man behind the counter at GameStop if anyone had gotten sick from the 3DS yet. He said it would probably just be people with motion sickness or other eye/head related problems.

So, does it really hurt your head? Maybe a little, until you get used to it. Problem is, if you don't get used to it, or you can't see it properly, it more than likely will make you dizzy.

I had this exact same thing happen to me today. I haven't seen any 3DS demos in my area, and want to try it out, so when I asked someone at a game shop, they said that they weren't doing it because it would give people headaches, and said you should only play it for 30 minutes then take a break. At least it's good you can adjust the intensity, or turn it off altogether. And hopefully your eyes can somewhat adjust to it.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I had this exact same thing happen to me today. I haven't seen any 3DS demos in my area, and want to try it out, so when I asked someone at a game shop, they said that they weren't doing it because it would give people headaches, and said you should only play it for 30 minutes then take a break. At least it's good you can adjust the intensity, or turn it off altogether. And hopefully your eyes can somewhat adjust to it.

Hmm... I played it for 8 hours straight at a sleep over last weekend and I felt fine! Even though it was in full 3D and all.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Reading the comments above, it kind of depends on your eyes. Motion sickness might be a problem for some people, but your eyes will probably only hurt if you play too much on it. Also, if you are new to the "third dimension" it might cause the effects posted for others, but as you get used to the system it will probably wear away.

*This is a message for everyone. Please, for the safety and well being of your eyes, do take breaks. Overexcessive gameplay will tire your eyes and damage them.*

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Eh, I have no problem with the 3D effects of the 3DS. Granted that might just be because I haven't had a chance to experience the 3D effects for longer than like five minutes (none of the 3DS launch titles appeal to me, so I'm waiting for one of the "big guns" I'm interested in to come out), but still. No problems with it so far. It made me very slightly dizzy for like two seconds when I first experienced it in the setup, but after that I had no problem.

You guys should all be aware that 3D technology was never meant to be experianced for over 3 hours in one sitting...

Take a look at this article Its one of many that will tell you the hazards of 3d technology.

It messes with your depth perception.

Think about it this way... you all know its bad for you to have headphones/earbuds up really loud in your ears, but listening to loud music once in a while for short periods of time gives your ears a chance to heal/recover. If you listened to loud music with your headphones all the time, even though you don't feel the effects right after, in your later years of life hearing will become a problem.

3D technology messes with your eye's ability to measure depth perception, why? because changing your depth perspective is the reason why we have 3D in the first place... Everything is on one screen and we want to make it appear as though it is reaching out, touching you, as if it was something alive in this room. Now during short exposure (less then 3 hours at one time) your brain is able to distinguish these short term effects as temporary. But the longer you expose your body to it, the more 'normal' it will make that vision, actually rewiring your brain to think that that is the perspective it is supposed to use.

3D technology isn't bad, you just need to exercise moderation when you use it. Just like you should with the earphones.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Okay, thankyou very much, Jo. I will take that all into consideration. Thanks to the others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom