• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Think the Renting System from ALBW Will Return?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Well, the title says it all. Do you think the renting system established in A Link Between Worlds will make a return in Zelda WiiU? Do you want it to? Why or why not?

Personally, I'm really not sure if the mechanic will return. I would neither have any quarrels with it returning nor with it not--I'm pretty indifferent about it, tbh. What about you?

Salem

SICK
I hope at least keeping most of the key items outside of dungeons to return, not necessarily another rental shop.

Wallmaster

terrible things
I didn't really favor the idea of renting items. It devalues the dungeon a lot and I particularly didn't like having to re-buy the items when I died, only to find out he sells them for a large sum of Rupees later in the game. It's pointless, in my opinion. Should be kept how it was.

Salem

SICK
I honestly liked the renting system, I feel that it gives you more freedom to explore the overworld before you reach dungeon, before of you want to explore areas that require certain items, you can't unless you got through a dungeon, in ALBW not anymore.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I do like the rental system ad liked how open it made the game, but perhaps there should still be items in dungeons that you have to find. Maybe make parts of the game done in any order but still have areas you can't access without a dungeon item. Have other items that allow you to choose between a few dungeons kind of thing

I do like the rental system ad liked how open it made the game, but perhaps there should still be items in dungeons that you have to find. Maybe make parts of the game done in any order but still have areas you can't access without a dungeon item. Have other items that allow you to choose between a few dungeons kind of thing

This. I really liked the rental system because it allowed non-linear gameplay which most Zelda fans wanted out of a new game. However, I think mixing the items up between rental shop and dungeons would work. It would make certain parts of the game non-linear, and certain parts linear, maybe such as parts that need to happen in a certain order to develop the story a bit.

I think the one problem with WiiU would be is if it would have a massive overworld, we'd either need a good teleporting system or the main hub of the game would have to be relatively close to everything. Maybe they could have a chain of rental shops, and have one in each village so there's always one close. This is assuming they go all out on the size of WiiU's overworld.

We definitely need something in dungeons though. It got tiring only finding keys and rupees in chests.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
What I think might make it even better is if they had all the basic weapons available from the start that allow you to traverse most of the landscape, but have the stronger weapons hidden with the dungeons to give us the satisfaction of doing the dungeon as well as getting to harder-to-reach and more challenging regions. [Analogy in SS: have the basic items to traverse through Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano, and Lanayru Desert from the start, but you must find the items needed to traverse Lake Florina, the Inner Volcano, and the Sand Sea.]

Also, put more work into the puzzles. DarkestLink is right, they were far too predictable. Make them not dependent upon one specific item, but rather the clever application of several items and functions like some other Zelda games do.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Not sure, but I'm willing to say "no" -- for the console titles. It just seems like something that would fit in the handheld games, but would feel off in the console ones, just like the Energy Meter. I don't deny the possibility of being wrong on this one. I'm just following my gut.

I do like the renting feature - the possibility of open exploration is wonderful; I loved it. But at the same time, I feel like there should be a bit more to the dungeons. Maybe it could be split halfway - some things available in the beginning, others only in dungeons. That could be good.

Something that I feel could be changed is the way purchases work. I liked that rental was possible from the beginning while upgrades could only be obtained by purchasing your weapons and then helping someone else. But the purchasing process itself, I feel like there should have been more to it. As it is in ALBW, you need 1. the three pendants and 2. a load of cash. That's all. It feels too simple to me, but I'm not sure what I would change about it. (Maybe side quests could be involved. Getting a special item by doing a specific task and then trade it, or something)

I'm really not sure as to whether renting will be used in future games, though. Something is telling me probably not.

Skunk

Floof
I hope so. That, and an upgraded version of the upgrade system from Skyward Sword.

I have mixed feelings.

I liked the idea that I could have all the items at once.

However, I feel that it made the game too easy and I get greater satisfaction from earning my items rather than buying/renting them.

For the next Zelda game, I would want it to be non-linear (I'm not saying that ALBW was linear) where you have to earn the items you get.

In the normal mode, I was pretty indifferent to the system because i never died until after I had already purchased everything; however, Hero Mode changed my perspective a bit. After having my three/four heart pieces ripped away several times, I had to think more carefully about which items I absolutely needed. I also spent a lot more rupees in this playthrough. While many people claim the dungeons were too easy, I think this was due to their own design rather than being a symptom of the item rental feature. I believe they were intended to be played in a fast pace; while the games are obviously different, I had a feeling of playing Sonic at times in these dungeons - trying to constantly move without stopping.

I liked the fact that the special items in the dungeons were optional (Master Ore, new suit, sheild) but were key in upgrading your character. I felt less like "Oh, I have to find this item in order to beat the dungeon" and more like, "Oh, I really want to find this item." I think when a game makes you really want to complete content, rather than completing it just to get to the next part, then the game is successful at creating a great experience.\

I would like to see the system return, even if only for less essential/powerful items, but I won't be heartbroken if it does not.

ILU

i luv u
I appreciated the freedom the rental shop gave me, but I also think that freedom can be obtained without giving me access to all the items at once. Makes everything too easy, especially if you don't die. I am happy that Nintendo has noticed that the games are becoming too linear, but I also think that the rental shop should NOT return. I do believe that some form of linearity is necessary in a Zelda game, just not near the extremes it has been. I enjoy discovering my items, but I also think obtaining them outside of dungeons is a nice change. Perhaps finding them in shops (or on a bookshelf like the Book of Mudora) as well as scouring dungeons for them would be a nice mix of both options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom