• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think That Skyward Sword Will Ruin the Zelda Series?

guy123

The Waker of the Winds
Don't worry, I highly doubt that Skyward Sword will be lacking in content or story, and it absolutely WILL NOT ruin the Zelda series. Even if the game is worthless, it won't ruin the title of Zelda. The cdi games didn't do that. Nintendo creates its games to suit the fans. If we don't like them, then they'll change them so we do.

well skyward sword definantly wont lack in anything considering miyamoto and anouma havent finished the game yet. will it be the best however i dont think it will.see every game after oot is far more improved than oot excluding handhelds. i think ss will surpass oot but there are wayyyy to many fanboys of oot to let go of the game and pick another as there favorite.so the majority will mostly say its there 2nd favorite game(considering the game will be fantastic) ss already has improved more on story,gameplay and content from what weve seen and heard so far. but as i said the oot fanboys wont let ss be there favorite cause of biased opinion and nostalgia.and ss will definantly not ruin the zelda series

Skyward Sword has a lot of the features I've been wanting to see in a Zelda game for decades.

• Breakable equipment.
  • An upgrade system.
  • A use for my frickin' rupees!
  • "Pegasus Boots" in a 3D Zelda title.
  • Effective use of the Wiimote for controls.
  • Link and Zelda getting together? (a man can dream...)

Also, that "painted" feel of the art style is something I've been thinking would look good for a while (though I didn't care what I first saw it in). The game looks like an interactive painting. Once it comes out, all the critics of the graphics will change their tune and say it's the most beautiful thing they've ever seen.

Chances are high that it will be the best Zelda game ever. And unlike Ocarina of Time, I won't find such an assessment incorrect.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Skyward Sword has the potential to hurt the Zelda series, if the motion controls don't work out well, and people become frustrated by the fatigue meter and mechanics like shields breaking. But I do not think it will ruin the series even in the worst case scenario. It will only give Zelda a black eye. Nintendo will not repeat their mistakes, if SS turns out to have been a mistake.

However, if the motion controls are intuitive, and not too difficult, if shields are only a convenience rather than a necessity, and if the fatigue meter doesn't drain too quickly or can be upgraded... it could easily be a revolutionary game. It could revitalize Zelda, and give it a better reputation among newer gamers.

I hope that Nintendo, in their wisdom, decides to push towards the latter route. It will only benefit them, and all of their fans. So, my conclusion is that Skyward Sword could hurt Zelda, but it will not ruin it. Hopefully, it will be the great Zelda game we're all dreaming that it will be.

Apart from the graphics, which I find absolutely gorguous, I really don't see what you're complaining about here.
SS, provided the Motion+ works well, which apparentely it does, looks to be the best thing to happen to this series since OoT.
As said before, it has;

- An (so far) epic story
- Orchestrated music
- 1:1 Motion controls, meaning much better combat
- 2 complete overworlds
- New items
- Upgradable items
- Sword Beams :P
- MM-like NPC interaction
- Apparentely the most content ever in a Zelda game (even Aonuma and Miyamoto haven't finished the game)
- Reworked formula, meaning less distinction between dungeon and overworld
- Smoother items selection
- Apparentely the most challenging (3d) Zelda yet

I think I might have missed some, but exactly how does all of this sound 'bad' to you? If this works out, could you imagine how great Zelda for Wii U could be?

About the games deminishing I mean PH and ST. I felt that both of those games were a bit mediocre compared to the other games. Twilight Princess I absolutely loved but after both of those games, aimed more at a child audience, I kind of feel that with the artstyle and the fact that both Zelda and Link are significantly younger, this game will also reflect it's last couple of predecessors. I am just hoping for a game that it is aimed at a more 'hardcore', or even a more mature audience for those who grew up with the older Zelda games, and not be dissapionted.

I, at least, understand your point. I can see how you are worried, and I agree with you to that point, as the DS games weren't of the highest quality (whoa, I'm taking all... intelligently). But I think nintendo heard our cries for a harder game, better plot, and a bigger game all around. From what I have heard, this game sounds like one of the best games yet. But I have to say that I can't hold my hopes too high, 'cause if the game isn't as well as I would of liked it, then my hopes would be demolished.

But I don't think it will ruin the series, from what we know, I don't think its near that. Its just enough child adventure, and mature save the world in the graphics, that it seems balanced, unlike the DS games which were just focused on a younger age group. This seems like 'I could play it when I'm young, but I still need my older siblings help' like OOT, And it seems very fresh with a new villain who is supposed to be an opposite of Ganon(dorf). So even though it might be bad (which I don't think it will) I don't think its gonna be ruin the series, as I think it will appeal to a lot of people even if its not as good as a lot of other Zelda games.

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, nothing can go wrong with the series. That's what I believe at least. The fact that even the developers, Aonuma and Miyamoto, haven't even finished it must make it the biggest Zelda game of all time. Maybe even bigger than Twilight Princess(literally, I mean Twilight Princess was HUGE). So nothing can really ruin the series. It even has an intriguing storyline already. How can this make the whole series go down? As someone said, three Zelda CD-i games went out, and the franchise is still with us, proud and tall. So don't worry!

Not at all. Skyward Sword may be a dissapointment for some people (although you can't avoid that) but it's pretty much impossible to completely ruin Zelda.
Even if it was as bad as the CD-I games it would never erase everything good about anything else in Zelda.
Of course there will be Zelda games that aren't as good as others, but it won't be the apocalpse (forgive me if I misspelled that) of the series.
It will be all up to speculation on HOW good it is but remember: it's a Zelda game. It WILL be good. Not it SHOULD good, it WILL be good.
I believe I made my point, right?

D

dori2190

pure halo dude i agree with you totally, and i reckon SS will definately contribute to the diminishing quality in the Zelda series (by series I refer to the major console titles, because lets face it, the hand held ones were marketed at a lower age group). Ocarina of Time (yes Ocarina of Time, not OOT, because im a purist) was one of the most defining games of its time. I mean sure looking back now the graphics aren't that great, but Ocarina of Time is one of the only games I can go back and play from start to finish over and over again. What is it about it that makes it so definitive........Honestly I don't know.....and I think thats what makes it so special.....the design, the graphics, the gameplay, the storyline, the way the controls were mapped to the then seriously flawed controller (as compared to these days standards), they all meshed together meticulously, so good in fact they seemed to really pull you into the world of Zelda. It took me several years to acquire a copy of Majora's Mask (so long in fact that it was barely possible to buy a Nintendo 64), and I must say I was rather disappointed. It lacked the same feeling of Ocarina of Time, the storyline just didn't seem to lock in with its predecessor, and the game play seemed......rushed in its design.....and as for Navi....she just disappeared without an explanation which I thought was cheap, considering she was such a part of Ocarina of Time. Then the long wait for Twilight Princess, and yes, the disappointment subsided...a little. The game play seemed to be improved upon from Majora's Mask, but again the storyline didn't even fit.....or remotely have anything to do with Ocarina of Time (or Majora's Mask) ......I was sure if it was meant to be a prequel, a sequel or just a completely new game....but with the main character still named Link ????????? What really cheesed me off was the layout of Hyrule, and how everything was completely in different directions to everything else as compared to Ocarina of Time (the land of Hyrule also adding to the confusion of where the storyline was upto)......and the controls.......I can understand the layout because of the wii controller, but I just felt like a total dweeb standing there swinging an invisible sword.....if I could choose between that and the original controls, then I would definately choose the original............As for Skyward Sword.....it just seems as though the artists couldn't be bothered with the effort involved in rendering the proper 3d graphics, so they just made 2d smudges for the grass and rocks and trees and marketed it as an "artistic impression", either that or they have decided it better to sell to an audience of no one over the age of 5 years old. Even doing an artistic impression I think could have gone a lot further with the blend of colours and the tones they used, if they are in fact still marketing it to the same age group (which I severely doubt).....I agree with your comment about diminishing quality, because it just lacks that feeling of what Ocarina of Time had, and I doubt that this game will make any where near an impact on the gaming industry as Ocarina of Time did (something that Majoras' Mask and Twilight Princess both didn't do either) and if you don't believe then why do you think they made a 3d version of it and resell it on the 3DS......I will probably buy it (Skyward Sword) though in the hope that one day they'll prove me wrong and create a master piece on even par with Ocarina of Time.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
People! It's Zelda! I'd stop there but I should probably back up my argument.

There is a 0.1% chance that this game will be as bad as the CD-i games, and 99.9% chance that this game will be as good as, o better, than anything else made by Nintendo, which is to say completely brilliant.

I want you all to think, have you ever played a "bad" Zelda game, or a "bad" Mario game? Highly unlikely. You may have played a game that wasn't as good as others you have played in the series, but I doubt you have ever experienced a mainstream Zelda game that was as bad as say, some cheap Pixar movie cash-in video game. Every Zelda game I have ever played was amazing, beyond everything else in terms of pure WIN that I had ever experienced before it. Even my least favorite Zelda game, Ocarina of Time (insert o_0 if you are an Oot fan boy) was really great and I enjoyed every second of it. That just shows you how good the Zelda games are! There isn't a big difference in quality overall (not inluding CD-i, those suck nuts) with every entry in the series. It is just a matter of opinion, and it always will be.

I'm sure that I will love Skyward Sword, simply because it is a Zelda game, and I know what to expect. I'm not expecting the ultimate Zelda game that everyone will openly accept as the best, there are just too many people out there who can't part with their favorite game. I am open to have a new game be my favorite Zelda, and I am 99.9% sure that Skyward Sword can do just that.

Last edited:

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I think Skyward Sword may make the series even greater. Even if not, I would not say a single game could ruin all the other games in the series.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Seems a WEEE harsh.

The game shows some promise of an Epic tale and a wonderful gameplay. Most people get thrown off the game probably because of it's art style, even I thought the Art of the game before was a bit too childish, not until I saw it in action. At least now it managed to fuse my WW childlike demeanor with my Serious TP behavior.

So far the only bad Zelda game I played are....Frankly I have none. The CDi Games, I haven't played so I can't ever comment on that subject, but the rest of the series from the FS series to the OoX and the MC are wonderful games to play with. It's entertaining and quite fun!

Not to mention it's Zelda's 25th Anniversary! They HAVE to make this Epic to celebrate 25 years of wonderful games!!

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
I think this game may very well reinvent Zelda. I don't think they will mess it up though, I mean it's crafted strictly for the Wii, so it will be a little different, but I have faith that Nintendo will not mess it up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom