• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think That Skyward Sword Will Ruin the Zelda Series?

P

Purehalo59

This is just a general discussion about the integrity of 'modern' Zelda games. For me I kind of have high hopes for this game but I also don't want it to ruin my experience of the Zelda game franchise. The first Zelda game that I played was the Ocarina of Time on N64 and I absolutely loved it but it seems that as time has progressed the games have deminished in both content and story. I have been a Zelda fan for a long time and I would just hate it if this game kills the name Zelda for future Zelda fans.

Just post your thoughts of the possible outcome of the game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is just a general discussion about the integrity of 'modern' Zelda games. For me I kind of have high hopes for this game but I also don't want it to ruin my experience of the Zelda game franchise. The first Zelda game that I played was the Ocarina of Time on N64 and I absolutely loved it but it seems that as time has progressed the games have deminished in both content and story. I have been a Zelda fan for a long time and I would just hate it if this game kills the name Zelda for future Zelda fans.

Just post your thoughts of the possible outcome of the game.
I do not agree that zelda games have diminished in content and story. Twilight princess improved upon ocarina of time by creating more complex characters and a more interactive companion, it also contained more dungeons and puzzles although I admit that they were far less of a challenge than those in ocarina of time. As far as story is concerned it actually had a more complex plot than ocarina of time which had a very simple storyline.
As for skyward sword they have been working hard for 6 years trying to make it the best zelda yet and it will be packed full of content, there will be interaction with members of your town which is as in depth as majoras mask. Now I believe that Skyward sword will have a very gripping and in depth storyline which will have been thought through so that alot of elements link in with Ocarina of time.
So I would not worry about this game ruining the series. I think that it will both please old fans and also be something for new fans of the series to enjoy.

P

Purehalo59

About the games deminishing I mean PH and ST. I felt that both of those games were a bit mediocre compared to the other games. Twilight Princess I absolutely loved but after both of those games, aimed more at a child audience, I kind of feel that with the artstyle and the fact that both Zelda and Link are significantly younger, this game will also reflect it's last couple of predecessors. I am just hoping for a game that it is aimed at a more 'hardcore', or even a more mature audience for those who grew up with the older Zelda games, and not be dissapionted.

T

TriforceOfPower

Take off the nostalgia goggles and you will see that zelda is just as awesome, if not better, than ever.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I do not agree. I found Zelda got better and better in till it hit ocarina of time which was the best. Then there was some
lacking in the modern LoZ. Saying that TP was the same or even better than OoT. I know someone who played the demo and said "SS is stunning. The story is great and really flows with the LoZ games. It actully reminds me of TP actully. It's such a deep and rich story and funny at the same time. I can't wait for the full thing." I actully think the only downfall for Zelda is it's DS Games.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were both weak in terms of content and story (yes, TP was packed with story, but its imp-centric plot was also poorly-developed, with terrible characters and sloppy writing). They are, however, the exception and not the rule. Meanwhile, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, and Spirit Tracks have all done a wonderful job with plot. The Oracle games were good too.

Given what we know about Skyward Sword, I think we are primed for a plot that's intriguing. Characters are humanized and given very real, tangible motivations. Link and Zelda will likely be convincing as teenagers at pivotal points in their lives, and we get to see the creation of Hyrule. Based on precedent, I think you have very little reason to believe they will mess things up. I also like what they're doing with skyloft, and love the fact that we finally get to see Link and Zelda in school.

Ocarina of Time has my "favorite" story, as the archetypical hero's journey, and I think it's probably the second-best in the Zelda franchise (The Wind Waker exceeds it in that department). Skyward Sword is not primed to dethrone it, but I'm sure it will offer a unique and engaging experience.

P

Purehalo59

I'm not criticizing SS, I guess I'm looking at it from the point of an 'older generation' gamer's perspective. Yes I am looking foreword to it. Yes I'm interested to see what t has in store for the Zelda franchise but going on the basis on the last two games, it may not be what I'm hoping it will be. But who cares, I will buy it anyway, play it and either be gleeful or melancholic because of it and no one will give a damn because I am just feeding the corporate machine that is Nntendo.

Linkyme

Call me Coco :3
I don't agree. I think SS will be just as fine as Twilight Princess, maybe better. you never know until you play it. Personally, i try to play any game i can and see how i like it.

Rinku

Suupa Saiya-jin
Personally I think that the best story from all zelda games was from A Link to the Past(tied with Link's Awakening).However I think that a Zelda game will always deliver to its audience! Sure there will be some flaws(even the so called flawless OoT had some). I believe that every single zelda game has a different impact on different individuals! some like it more some less.For example TP for me was a fine game and I enjoyed it more than WW(story-wise,Character-wise,Gameplay-wise).Graphics dont have that much of a meaning for me but Story elements and Gameplay do! (i'm a bit of Retro gamer that is)!Ocarina didnt have the same impact on me as AlttP or LA had.Especially LA (was my 1st Zelda game ever) and its ending had HUGE impact on how i see games nowdays!It's natural for a game series, when a new installment comes ,to have more depth than the previous!

In conclusion or TL;DR : Each Zelda has unique impact to each gamer! Wether SS will surpass OoT (other Zelda games had surpassed it for me ,before OoT was out) it's completely on the gamers side! Scores mean nothing, fun/enjoyment counts more! Story wise it shows promise that will be on the most in depth Zeldas ever created. We'll see...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
About the games deminishing I mean PH and ST. I felt that both of those games were a bit mediocre compared to the other games. Twilight Princess I absolutely loved but after both of those games, aimed more at a child audience, I kind of feel that with the artstyle and the fact that both Zelda and Link are significantly younger, this game will also reflect it's last couple of predecessors. I am just hoping for a game that it is aimed at a more 'hardcore', or even a more mature audience for those who grew up with the older Zelda games, and not be dissapionted.
I did not play those games so I can't judge but home console zelda's are in a completely different league to handheld ones. Handheld zelda's come out every couple of years but a console zelda can take 5-6 years so they are always better.

Will Skyward Sword ruin Zelda? Lolno.

We had three awful Zelda CD-i games in a row and that didn't even kill the series. Anyways, Skyward Sword looks very fun at the moment, so I'm 99.9999999999999999% it won't be bad.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda games really haven't diminished in quality or story. You can say that the handheld games weren't as packed as the console games, but you have to remember that the handhelds aren't the most powerful thing in the world [so they wouldn't necessarily be able to hold as much content as a console based Zelda], and development periods for handheld games are generally shorter than those of their older brothers' [generally speaking, handheld games are released within the year or next after being announced].

I admit that Twilight Princess wasn't the best (although the best is an opinion), but it was still far from ruining the series. I can understand SS 'ruining' the series based upon it's gameplay, as it's a completely new idea that so far has only been implemented in what, 3-4 games? Give or take a few? But even then, that wouldn't be ruining the series so much as rewriting the standard formula - Nintendo already said they were shying away from standard Zelda formula with SS.

As far as story goes, I still think that SS won't get close to ruining the series. It's shaping up to be a good one, and from the looks of what we got at E3, I doubt that any of the villains will be too cliched to be 'good', or that the overall plot will be so convoluted that people won't even bother with the game. I mean, a convoluted story if done right will attract any amount of people, but sometimes the story is just too simple or too engrossing [that doesn't make sense?] that people will play the game for the sake of gameplay rather than for the gameplay AND the story. SS doesn't look that way. Now you have a point that it could, but from how long the development time has been I doubt it will be as Miyamoto-san gave the 'Victory or Death' command to the teams so if SS isn't the best, they could possibly shut Zelda down (I assume that was a joke though).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If Skyward Sword doesn't bomb the way Twilight Princess did(opinion-wise), then I see nothing to worry about. Skyward Sword seems incredible and from what we've seen of the game so far, I've seen almost nothing that could ruin it. I think Skyward Sword will be equal to even Ocarina of Time in greatness. Let's hope that remains true.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Besides, this game has been in development since 2006. The quality of the handheld games does not predict the quality of a game five years in development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom