• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you persist with bad games?

Djinn

and Tonic
Nope, if a game sucks then I am not going to force myself to get through a crappy game. I just quit playing it and go on to something I do like. Never really felt the compulsion to want to have to put up with something I do not like just for some sense of completion.

Also never really got into that whole "how do you know you don't like it" argument which I always took to be pretty hollow. I have no special need to prove to myself anything. The fact that I don't like it is how I know I don't like it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Imma use an example of what i thought is a bad game being actually good and that's MH4U, i bought it because of someone else doing playing it and at first i disliked the camera control and some of the movements but now i am used to it i like the array of weapons and actually like the camera controls still annoyed by the fact i can't lock onto small foes

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I persisted with MH3U on 3DS, it ended up being pretty good. So sometimes it works out. I also persisted with Kid Icarus Uprising and the Final Fantasy franchise, but they still suck.

I do research up games so I am rarely majorly disappointed with games. but . . .

Super Smash Bros 4 is one of the few I was really disappointed in. The game is bad. I've played it for like 20 hours total since I got it day 1. I have not even unlocked all the characters yet. The game is such a let down when compared to Brawl and Melee. I guess I should persist with it more when I have the time.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
No. Not worth the time. Why am I going deliberately torture myself just to say to internet guy #43902 that I gave it a chance.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Bravely Default, though not what I call bad, has turned into a grind-fest for me. A lot of JRPGs do that at the end, a la Final Fantasy and Earthbound. Still, I always finish and keep coming back for more.

I usually don't persist with bad games but there has been one exception...

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)

The game wasn't a bad one, it just needed a higher budget. You can tell from the story, the writing and the designs of the characters and the world were all made with a love rarely seen in video games. It was a truly wonderful emotional experience for me and that alone is what got me through it... because playing it was often a nightmare!

Most importantly the game needed a Zelda-like Z-axis lock on mechanic.
It also suffered from atrocious slowdown which seriously impacted the playability
While the Wii didn't have the buttons for full camera control, the game would have benefited from it immensely, so its a shame it wasn't an option. (Especially when trying to fight multiple enemies).

Depends on how you define "bad game". Sometimes, the game is mechanically bad (or meh), but the story is interesting enough for me to want to get through it. If the gameplay annoys me too much though, then I won't bother playing it. Sometimes the game is mechanically great, but the story and characters are so dull that I don't see a point in continuing after a certain point. I'm very fickle, I guess.

I do research up games so I am rarely majorly disappointed with games. but . . .

Super Smash Bros 4 is one of the few I was really disappointed in. The game is bad. I've played it for like 20 hours total since I got it day 1. I have not even unlocked all the characters yet. The game is such a let down when compared to Brawl and Melee. I guess I should persist with it more when I have the time.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree that Smash 4 was a huge disappointment. For me, it was particularly the WiiU version that was a major letdown. No subspace emissary/adventure mode. Just a board game like thing that my sister and I didn't really find particularly fun. Everything else, like Classic Mode, I've seen before. And I'm not big on Master Core.

I wouldn't call it bad, though. 8-player smash is fun, and the 3DS version pleasantly surprised me--it was relatively easy to control and it didn't suffer from major slow downs like I thought it would. The smash run isn't the greatest thing out there, but I find it more fun than that board game thing.

Also, I wish they brought Roy back rather than give us Lucina. I miss him. D:

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
If I don't like it, I don't play it. Simple as that.

If I purchased it, I would still keep it in case it grows on me at some point or another because selling it to a gamestop would be cheap and pointless.

I just don't see the point in playing a game just to finish it if you don't enjoy it. That's the point of a game, to enjoy the time you spend playing it. And if that purpose is nonexistent with a game, it's nothing to me.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I reached the point about fifteen years ago where I'll just stop playing if something doesn't grab me in some way in the first ten to fifteen minutes (interesting aesthetic, mechanics, concept, or does something that plays into elements my subconscious finds addictive).

Some series I have a history with will get an exemption - I was thoroughly uninspired by the beginning of Twilight Princess, but Miyamoto and I go way back so I stuck it out. I downright disliked Skyward Sword but I finished that, too. Final Fantasy XIII was pretty wretched as well. I finished the main quest and that was about it.

In my younger days, grindfest games like Bravery Default and the Etrian Odyssey series were more palatable, but now as soon as I catch a wiff of that, I drop it (Dragon Quest IX was another casualty of this change in preferences)

I actually started selling a bunch of games I bought and have no intention of ever finishing, or multiplayer titles that bring out the worst in my personality like MK8. I'm now a small-scale gamer with a much higher affinity for Gunman Clive than that 100 hour RPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom