• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Combat in Future Games?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
There needs to be a steeper challenge curve as the game goes on. Enemies need to be smarter stronger and faster. Parrying should be included so that flailing until you get a hit doesn't work requiring you to time your swings.

Sounds familiar... like a game released towards the end of the Wii's lifetime...

Now what was that game call- Oh, yeah! Skyward Sword.

Ganondork

goo
Sounds familiar... like a game released towards the end of the Wii's lifetime...

Skyward Sword didn't have a curve in the least bit. That game was probably the easiest Zelda game in existence. I didn't die a single time, even in Hero Mode. I'm trying to really think of any enemies that could give you the impression of a curve, but I can only really think of Lizalfoes, who were introduced pretty early on.

So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Where was the curve?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Skyward Sword didn't have a curve in the least bit. That game was probably the easiest Zelda game in existence. I didn't die a single time, even in Hero Mode. I'm trying to really think of any enemies that could give you the impression of a curve, but I can only really think of Lizalfoes, who were introduced pretty early on.

Yeah Lizalfos were the only regular enemies that caught me off guard, but then as the game progressed they got easier, for me atleast.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Wasn't necessarily talking about a curve -- though there is inherently one with the Wii MotionPlus & new combat style, even if it's a minor one -- but more so the rest of what The HOT had to say. I'm honestly surprised you missed that.

Skyward Sword is far from the easiest Zelda, though, I can tell you that. The Wind Waker without question takes that dishonor -- almost nothing in it requires any kind of skill whatsoever, even the most advanced of enemies. Twilight Princess probably follows right behind (or is it ahead...?). I'm not gonna say that SS is a difficult game, as it took a Hero Mode minimalist run for it to reach that level, but then again, the only Zelda game that is is Zelda II. The others (TWW & TP aside) offer fair challenges that aren't hard, but still take thought and a certain level of skill to overcome.

And let's not forget just how long we've all been playing Zelda games, as well as video games in general. We're not little kids anymore, and we've certainly become highly experienced.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Wasn't necessarily talking about a curve -- though there is inherently one with the Wii MotionPlus & new combat style, even if it's a minor one -- but more so the rest of what The HOT had to say. I'm honestly surprised you missed that.

Really? I mean I guess you had to get used to waving the Wii mote around, at first it was sort of akward for a lot of people.

Juice J said:
Skyward Sword is far from the easiest Zelda, though, I can tell you that. The Wind Waker without question takes that dishonor -- almost nothing in it requires any kind of skill whatsoever, even the most advanced of enemies. Twilight Princess probably follows right behind (or is it ahead...?). I'm not gonna say that SS is a difficult game, as it took a Hero Mode minimalist run for it to reach that level, but then again, the only Zelda game that is is Zelda II. The others (TWW & TP aside) offer fair challenges that aren't hard, but still take thought and a certain level of skill to overcome.

Well I guess you are right, the Wind Waker was sort of easy, and so was TP, but we all must remember these games were essential toward improving the evolution of combat, so I wouldn't look at them as failures. I have to agree though Zelda 2 was one of the hardest zelda games to beat.

And let's not forget just how long we've all been playing Zelda games, as well as video games in general. We're not little kids anymore, and we've certainly become highly experienced.

This is true, I guess the more we age and play the games the better we become at them.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I would say Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are easier than Skyward Sword but Skyward Sword I'd put at number 3 and I personally found it very easy. Even in minimalist Hero Mode some other games are harder to minimalist such as the Oracle games. Zelda II is harder than Skyward Sword Hero Mode minimalist even if you max out your stats. There were certain times I actually found ALBW non-hero mode minimalist harder because the enormous amount of damage some enemies do, and I'd definitely consider ALBW Hero Mode minimalist to be harder. But I do think, even though SS certainly did improve on this, that the Zelda series really does need better AI. Likewise, it needs more interactive controls so it can handle better AI. Think kingdom Hearts.

D

Deleted member 14134

Ya except we need a working combat system now, not a motion control experiment.

But I do think, even though SS certainly did improve on this, that the Zelda series really does need better AI. Likewise, it needs more interactive controls so it can handle better AI. Think kingdom Hearts.

I do agree that an easier control scheme is needed to explore more sophisticated AI in battles. I have expressed satisfaction with Skyward Sword's controls as a gameplay mechanic, but I feel like the difficulty curve is based wholly on being challenged by the controls. To incorporate a second, intuition-based difficulty curve in the form of changing AI would require a more "minimalist" (not minimalist in the sense that you're talking) and less experimental control scheme.

Skyward Sword's controls are an experiment, and the experiment worked well. A greater percentage of efforts in video games need to be more experimental.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
AI definitely still has room for growing, even though it's seen an all-time high for the series, and I think Zelda 2015 likely has that covered. The footage we saw was actual gameplay, and that enemy chasing Link strategically cut him off by destroying a small bridge. That's pretty impressive.

D

Deleted member 14134

AI definitely still has room for growing, even though it's seen an all-time high for the series, and I think Zelda 2015 likely has that covered. The footage we saw was actual gameplay, and that enemy chasing Link strategically cut him off by destroying a small bridge. That's pretty impressive.

I've seen too many other games embellish features during "gameplay trailers." When I see this happen in the game while I'm holding the controller and playing it, I'll believe it.

D

Deleted member 14134

Nintendo never embellishes anything with their trailers. They show off exactly what's found within the core mechanics every time -- no exceptions.

watchdogs-wii-u.jpg

Before you say it's not Nintendo, it say "Wii U" on the cover. Wii U was made by nintendo, therefore this is a nintendo game.

HOT: 1
JJ: 0

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
View attachment 35986

Before you say it's not Nintendo, it say "Wii U" on the cover. Wii U was made by nintendo, therefore this is a nintendo game.

HOT: 1
JJ: 0

Um... no. No, that's not how it works. Ubisoft both developed and published Watch Dogs without the aid of any other company. It's also a multiplat, so it can't be a Nintendo game. This is elementary logic. Besides, Watch Dogs isn't even out on the Wii U yet.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom