• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Amazing Fantasy: A Spider-Man Mafia Prequel [NIGHT 10--HIATUS]

Asfinyti

aka amber
What I find most disconcerting about storm is he keeps bringing up these woes to his role but when pushed for an explanation, ignores it completely. If it was a posting restriction I feel like it would be toeing the line to bring them up at all so I'm left more with a sense of him wanting the sympathy without any of the actual vulnerability of a claim. If I don't say it they can't verify it, if you will.
i feel the same way, actually, every other post is 'oh woe is me im so poor'
welcome to the club, buddy :p
i have both of these things. i think the ability is called Don't Drop The Soap or Kangaroo Court
this post in particular basically just felt like 'please dont lynch me i really dont want to flip'

I suspect Storm is the type of character who is not currently a problem but can transform into a problem if certain conditions are met. I'm undecided if arresting them will be helpful. I can very easily see someone with an origin where they turn to a life of crime as a result of being arrested or going broke.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I suspect Storm is the type of character who is not currently a problem but can transform into a problem if certain conditions are met. I'm undecided if arresting them will be helpful. I can very easily see someone with an origin where they turn to a life of crime as a result of being arrested or going broke.
on what basis do you suspect this? Is it just the "down on their luck" motif their posts have had?

on what basis do you suspect this? Is it just the "down on their luck" motif their posts have had?

Yes. If someone was not particularly subtle and playing up their motive in a misguided attempt to either garner support or intentionally get themselves arrested I think it would look like how Storm is posting. I don't doubt they are a person of interest, I'm just suspicious in a game like this.

Coming at the game from the perspective of one of the spiders last game, I'm not going to be too hard on people until they've had time to achieve motivations and/or gain wincons. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are holding back, not knowing which faction they'll be playing for later. I mean, the spiders last game all had the potential to be town, self, or mafia the whole game. So to think that everyone playing is inherently town/mafia/any other defined alignment is short sighted. And while undefined players can be a threat, taking them out too early can and will result in a loss of town later in the game, as happened last game. So honestly unless someone does something so egregious that there is no way they could be looking out for a non-mafia's best interest (I say non-mafia because last game there were third parties that could win with town), I'm leaning towards giving everyone the first night to try and resolve some transformation conditions. Ofc, I'm open to hearing reasons why we should be trying to arrest random people right away too.

Edit: This is not to say we shouldn't be taking out self aligned players. They totally screwed us over last game with last minute motivation changes to assist mafia. Just that I believe in giving people the chance to become good and I don't believe in any Zinger mechanics that allow super easy D1 switches.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I'm wiling to treat origin-aligned players as town provisionally, especially if they're playing to a town wincon until they get a real alignment. The reason i want storm to be arrested is because I think there's a significant chance he's the kingpin, and based on the kingpin's posts I think the kingpin is likely mafia aligned, and not origin aligned.

Arresting gives us information about a player's identity and roleblocks them for at least one night. They can rejoin the game, so there's no great cost to arresting the wrong players (outside of mechanics, like the kind turin is evidently afraid of). Kingpin implicated hammerhead and silvermane in one of his posts, both of whom are straight gangsters vying for control of new york's criminal underworld in the comics. If the unification theory is correct, then its feasibly the case that the mafia in the game are modelled after the gangster characters in the story, and while its probably possible that even players who are currently mafia can switch sides, I think that disposing of mafia should still be a goal for the town and that arresting players to learn their names is feasibly a good way to determine if someone is mafia aligned or not.

Arresting gives us information about a player's identity and roleblocks them for at least one night. They can rejoin the game, so there's no great cost to arresting the wrong players (outside of mechanics, like the kind turin is evidently afraid of). Kingpin implicated hammerhead and silvermane in one of his posts, both of whom are straight gangsters vying for control of new york's criminal underworld in the comics. If the unification theory is correct, then its feasibly the case that the mafia in the game are modelled after the gangster characters in the story, and while its probably possible that even players who are currently mafia can switch sides, I think that disposing of mafia should still be a goal for the town and that arresting players to learn their names is feasibly a good way to determine if someone is mafia aligned or not.
I'm not convinced a player's alignment can be guessed from their canon character reliably but maybe it would work out. Ofc, it could be more likely that a canon town character is town-aligned here, but I would be surprised if Zinger hadn't thrown some wrenches into the mix, especially since they're the one who mentioned this option in the first place. I think the worst scenario is that we arrest a character who is important to the town and don't pay their bail because their character is mafia in canon or something. Another thing, do most players even have enough money to pay their own bail rn? If not, we'd be giving a lot of power to the (probably very few) rich players... even if someone did seem likely to be town aligned they could just choose not to pay the bail. At the very least I'd guess that mafia might be more likely to pay each other's bail than town in this scenario; all town has to go off of would be the character name but mafia knows (i'm assuming) who's mafia so there would be less risk for them. Maybe I'm assuming there are less rich people than there are though.

I'm also worried about mafia using this to the advantage. A mafia could seem town-aligned from their character and a townie could seem mafia-aligned, if their character name is all we are going off of. From the perspective of the mafia, if one of them has a canon town character, they could all push to vote for them to 'confirm' their innocence (and also waste a day's vote). They'll also know who's town (we're assuming for the purpose of this argument), so they could vote a townie who has a canon mafia character under the guise of checking their alignment. People would assume that they're mafia and not pay their bail, and we would lose a town player even finding out our mistake. IK this isn't a perfect argument, and there are certainly benefits for the town too, but I'm honestly just worried that a strategy like this could end up helping the mafia more given that they probably have more information. They could manipulate who we're checking to benefit them because they know which canon mafia characters are town and which canon town characters are mafia.

1) I'm willing to bet there was a mafia in this vote somewhere. Rubik was the magic #3 but also probably did the bugle vote so I'll grant the credit for that. Rag I'm reading town atm and jumped in first which I like, so that leaves Caps and Ex. I need to go back and read their interactions because I recall both of them having some interesting ones, but my gut memory read is that Caps is the mafia and Ex is either town or neutral. Might swap that.
I'm fully willing to admit that my vote is the scummiest vote in that list because I saw someone before me do it and was like "huh, that does make a lot of sense doesn't it" and shamelessly sheeped.

I'd like to know that too. I'm so far behind that I don't even know who this kingpin guy is or where the post they are referencing is. But I don't *think* he should be interested in me. I'm not that interesting. I'm just a guy in need of a camera. Seriously, who has a camera?
Sounds like someone who might want to work for the Bugle?

So the second part here obviously seems like a coded message. Per vro's message, joe hammerhead is now the majority shareholder of roxxon. I'm guessing this refers to the mob boss hammerhead, who's first name is apparently joseph. Silver could then refer to silvermane who is a mafia boss that appears early on in the comics. I don't know about the rest of them though. Its possible that kingpin is trying to directly refer to all the isolated mafiosos he's trying to find here? I'm not entirely sure what the purpose in that is, but it seems clear he's trying to get in contact with them, and that its probably a bad thing for us.
Could the Russian part also be important in some way? Is there a Spiderman villain who is Russian? My MCU-centric mind goes to either Black Widow or that one X-men character dude, neither of whom are part of the Spiderman comics afaik.

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
Could the Russian part also be important in some way? Is there a Spiderman villain who is Russian? My MCU-centric mind goes to either Black Widow or that one X-men character dude, neither of whom are part of the Spiderman comics afaik.
Wikipedia says either the Chameleon, the Rhino, or Kraven

Last edited:
So. Full disclosure. I mostly don't actually think Vro is wolf anymore I just have been sticking to that read for the better part of maybe the last 14 pages to get more info. Sometime like right before Caps jumped on my Vro train was when I was like oh maybe I'm wrong.
I never jumped on your Vro train - I never voted Vro. I did agree with your initial read on Vro, however, and I later came to the conclusion that it was likely stylistic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom