• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I Missing Out?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly I would never recommend SS to a hardcore Zelda fan. Most of it feels the same and the new of SS just didn't appeal to me (besides the swordplay).

It's too easy. Not enough items and the items we DO have just seem...worthless. The puzzles vary little. Enemies are jokes, and bosses exploit their weaknesses right in your face [as I said a long time ago in a VM to JJ, there is virtually no stunning involved with these boss battles, so it is more streamlined]. SS was just BLAH to me.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I personally thought Skyward Sword to be a majestic experience. Some of its qualities felt quite inconveniencing, such as Fi's dialogue as an example, but these are trivialities swept away by a myriad of positives. For one thing, the puzzles are very engaging, even though some might be attributed so simple that they weren't worth the effort. Motion controls themselves have opened up a whole new field of possibility, and Skyward Sword did an excellent job utilizing them for the first full "adventure" title that runs on them. Just as the puzzles were good, so were the enemies. It took me awhile on some to come up with how to expose their weak spots, but that's easy to overcome.

Is it worth playing? Absolutely. I'd refer it to anyone who loves fun gameplay and a wonderful storyline (for the most part).

David

But you called me here...
As I pointed out, the only way it gets off calibration is due to human error.

Human error? How is human error related to calibration getting off?

As for getting and playing Skyward Sword, I think that you should. The game is very well done and is extremely exciting at parts. I really enjoyed the game and beating it. However, it is not my favorite and I believe that it is not the best Zelda game made to date.

David

But you called me here...
I thought I covered this in my original post...

Anyway, it's either due to the player not calibrating it properly from the start or by keeping the Wii Remote pointed away from the screen too long, which causes the remote to start reading where it's pointed as center.

Well, the first bit is certainly human error. However, I think that the second bit isn't exactly human error. It is a new way of control that we aren't used to on the Wii. The Wii was built with the sensor bar defining exactly where the pointer was and was very consistent. With the Wii Motion Plus, we have to get used to there being no use of the sensor bar, which makes it a lot harder to control and remember that we are defining the directions. I'd say that it is more due to the developers choosing a different route than human error. Sure the player is causing it, but it makes no sense to have the current direction that the wii remote is pointed in be the center of the screen. I think that the developers could have made the controls be smarter and learn from what we do rather than just force us to have it a particular view.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, the first bit is certainly human error. However, I think that the second bit isn't exactly human error. It is a new way of control that we aren't used to on the Wii. The Wii was built with the sensor bar defining exactly where the pointer was and was very consistent. With the Wii Motion Plus, we have to get used to there being no use of the sensor bar, which makes it a lot harder to control and remember that we are defining the directions. I'd say that it is more due to the developers choosing a different route than human error. Sure the player is causing it, but it makes no sense to have the current direction that the wii remote is pointed in be the center of the screen. I think that the developers could have made the controls be smarter and learn from what we do rather than just force us to have it a particular view.

True, but it's still not the controls' fault. The controls are the exact definition of perfect. (I also find it better if the sensor bar is plugged in. If it gets off calibration, all you have to do is point the remote at the center of the screen instead of performing a few vertical slashes or recalibrating it in the pause menu.)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I understand that perfectly. But being more complicated does not make something immune to criticism. If something goes off calibration, that means it has not maintained the optimum settings, therefore has shown evidence of a flaw. To say that the calibration issues are only down to human error (which is incorrect for a start) meaning they aren't a flaw is like saying a shirt made of spaghetti is perfect because the only reason it rips is because people aren't being gentle enough when putting it on...

As I said before, they're great and I much prefer them to anything I've played before. But they're not perfect.

Meh. Opinions, opinions.

I really wish this was true and can't for the life of me understand why this wasn't implemented anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's true. I wouldn't be saying it if I didn't use this neat little trick.

MW7

The controls are the exact definition of perfect.

Sorry to call you out, but if you can honestly say that with a straight face you have an extremely warped sense of what perfect means. If the controls were the exact definition of perfect then no one would have issues and the controls would be impossible to improve upon. The controls are near perfect in my experience though.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
What made me disappointed in this game is the motion controls, they aren't broken but just uncomfortable, At least for me.

Another thing that made me sad is that they aren't going for a full RPG styled next gen game, nor are they staying old school.. they are mixing them in some way. The collection quests are laughable compared to the various things you can collect from other RPG's and the old school Zelda feeling got diminished with their attempt at putting in RPG elements into the game, But again.. that's just my opinon. Overall I liked TP more from a gameplay perspective although storywise it was pretty bad compared to SS. What I'd like to see int eh next installment is basically OoT on steroids graphic wise, 10x the sidequests you could have in OoT and of course a great story. All of this could be achieved on the Next console, Even more.

I enjoyed playing SS although I feel like it could've been so much more, But I give Nintendo credit for trying something new and can't wait for the next installment ;)

EDIT:
They seriously need to add more life to the game.. the monsters are more alive in the Zelda series than the NPC's :P

LinkandZelda<3

Knight Academy Student(:
skyward sword and twilight princess are VERY different games. skyward sword is an installment you really should make because it is unlike any other zelda game, and you would enjoy it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
True, but it's still not the controls' fault. The controls are the exact definition of perfect.

If they worked properly...

Even then there is bound to be a control scheme which would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom