• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Appreciation Thread

Judgement

Vile? I am a sorcerer now.
H2x1_SNES_TheLegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast_image1600w.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game. Many people aside from me would claim the same, and probably for many different reasons! But why? Is it nostalgia alone, or is there more to A Link to the Past? Does it stand the test of time, for players who have already played the game and for new players alike? Does it just have that classic Zelda feel we all long for?

For me, it's mostly the charm of the story, the music, the art style and the items. They all add to the surprisingly vast world of A Link to the Past, which contains 12 dungeons, many quirky areas to explore and actually interesting and mysterious NPC narratives. Aside from this, there are quite some side quests to complete if you want to be a completionist. Collecting all the pieces of heart was a really satisfying task, for example. Finding and retrieving them usually took some exploration and resourceful use of your items, and sometimes they would be hidden really well. But there were also ways to upgrade your items, and even the Master Sword itself!

zelda-the-legend-of-zelda.gif

Wackiness like this is what kept the game endearing and wonderful!

Let's use this thread to post what you liked about A Link to the Past and why it possibly is your favorite Zelda game!
:bottle: Cheers :bottle:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
It's the only 2D Zelda game I've really made a lot of progress on, and I've had a great time. I left off just after getting all 7 crystals so I really need to go and finish it.

Judgement

It's the only 2D Zelda game I've really made a lot of progress on, and I've had a great time. I left off just after getting all 7 crystals so I really need to go and finish it.
Yessss do it!! It has a pretty cool final fight, and finishing the game feels really satisfying imo. Did you find all pieces of heart?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Yessss do it!! It has a pretty cool final fight, and finishing the game feels really satisfying imo. Did you find all pieces of heart?
Nope, TP is the only game I've done that and that was because I went back after I finished, I always tend to focus more on the story and skip exploring and stuff a lot of time.

MW7

I really like it a lot. I like the dungeons, and the fact that the game has so many of them is great. One thing that isn't often appreciated in gaming is conciseness, and A Link to the Past is about as long as a game can be and still be completed in a single sitting. You can go from dungeon to dungeon, but if you want to explore, there are tons of optional secrets to discover. I also think the game has the best approach to dungeon progression in the series where there is a recommended order, but your decisions of when to complete which dungeon can make later dungeons easier or harder.

Judgement

I like the dungeons, and the fact that the game has so many of them is great.
Yes, this is such a nice thing. The world felt bigger because of it. I also love the fact that at first it seems like there's only three or four, but then you have to do seven more in another world! Totally sick.

Reactions: MW7
I love this game too, as evident by my username... My favorite music from it is the Dark World theme, my favorite weapon is the Ether medallion, and one of my favorite comedic aspects of the game is when you kept poking at the chickens in the village and after a while when you kept doing it a bunch of chickens would fly in out of nowhere and attack you, hahaha :D

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
I like this game, but I have only beaten the first dungeon. I forgot to save after I was halfway the 2nd dungeon. I will try it again soon... I guess. It is an outstanding game that ages well.

Judgement

I love this game too, as evident by my username... My favorite music from it is the Dark World theme, my favorite weapon is the Ether medallion, and one of my favorite comedic aspects of the game is when you kept poking at the chickens in the village and after a while when you kept doing it a bunch of chickens would fly in out of nowhere and attack you, hahaha :D
Yesss the Dark World theme is my favorite too! Such a feeling of adventure and lurking darkness, but darkness that can be overcome if you’re brave enough. My second favorite is the Lost Woods theme, because it feels so mysterious. My favorite item is the Hookshot (basic I know)!

I like this game, but I have only beaten the first dungeon. I forgot to save after I was halfway the 2nd dungeon. I will try it again soon... I guess. It is an outstanding game that ages well.
Ohh you gotta finish it! <3

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
admittedly, it isn't my favorite 2d zelda game, but it made huge leaps over the NES games and expanded the backstory and lore to the land of hyrule, and of course mechanically, it would make a big impact on the series going forward

and one of my favorite things about it, the freaking artwork
(I like the gba one more)

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
ALttP is actually the first zelda game I ever played. My dad got us an SNES and it was on there, along with super metroid and star fox and some others. I played it all the time. It was super fun for me. Then my dad got me oot and I was like "What have I been playing, this is so much better!" And then I got albw a while later and I was like "Hey, I should play alttp again." Then I realized I had just taken it for granted as a kid and pushed it away b/c of its difficulty and it was actually a good game. It really kinda pushed me towards zelda when I was a kid, and I will always be thankful for that.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I know that some Zelda fans swear by ALttP and say it was the height of the series, but I've never particularly enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong- the music is beautiful, the world is stunning, having the dark realm is a cool mechanic- I have a lot of respect for this game. It basically shaped the entire rest of the series. Personally though, I could never feel very engaged by it. I've made it as far as the third dungeon and that's after 2 years of playing it on-again-off-again. There's simply no breaks in it, it's all one continuous step by step adventure. That's understandable for an older game, but not exactly my play style. I really loved how ALBW managed to take all of the ideas presented in ALttP and bring it to a whole new dimension, literally and figuratively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom