• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Appreciation Thread

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I was never particularly fond of LttP. Even compared to other 2D games, I enjoyed Zelda 1, LA, and even the DS games far more.

That being said, there is absolutely a certain charm that LttP brings to the table. It’s the first game that really tried to focus on having an in-game story, it’s dungeons and overworld actually felt dynamic and thorough (at least more so than the 2 previous titles, and even then I really missed the fact that there were multiple towns in AoL), and a lot of mechanics did a good job of expanding upon the already excellent base that was Zelda 1 and AoL.

Is it the best Zelda game? Not even close, I’d barely even put it in the top 10. Is it a good game? Absolutely, and it definitely deserves to be looked at fondly.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I know that some Zelda fans swear by ALttP and say it was the height of the series, but I've never particularly enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong- the music is beautiful, the world is stunning, having the dark realm is a cool mechanic- I have a lot of respect for this game. It basically shaped the entire rest of the series. Personally though, I could never feel very engaged by it. I've made it as far as the third dungeon and that's after 2 years of playing it on-again-off-again. There's simply no breaks in it, it's all one continuous step by step adventure. That's understandable for an older game, but not exactly my play style. I really loved how ALBW managed to take all of the ideas presented in ALttP and bring it to a whole new dimension, literally and figuratively.

I definitely agree with this. Despite reusing the same Hyrule and Lorule being very similar to the Dark World, A Link Between Worlds flows a lot better than A Link to the Past. I think that's because the overworld areas in the game are a lot more engaging, like the place where you have to avoid those guards and the ice cave, and the wall merging mechanic makes bosses that were simply good in ALttP great in ALBW, like Stalblind and needing to merge with his shield.

ZeldaFanatic64

Infrequently active ZD member
My dad's first introduction to the TLoZ series was ALttP, and he continued that 'tradition' with me and my brothers. It was very similar, me and my dad both played the game at 8 years old and (almost) named out save file Zelda. While I cannot say that it's my favorite Zelda game, it's a solid addition to the series! ^^

TheLinkToThePresent

TheEclipseMaster: Leader of TheEclipseEmpire.
I first played a link to the past a few years ago, and loved it.
Given i didnt play it back during its era, and i still love it, then the love for it by everyone is more than just nostalgia

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom