• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time 64-Bit Dungeon Comparison

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I found the OoT temples to be a really nice difficulty level. The MM were a bit too much for my tastes, thus I don't play the game very much. Perhaps it was just the 'if you go back in time, you ahve to start the whole temple over' element, but they were still a pain, IMO.

Really, MM's dungeons seamed to have a different feal to them than OOT did. not only were the based aorund an item you'd find in the temple (the arrow types) you also had to use what you learned so far about the different Masks, espeacially the transformation themed masks. This makes The last two dungeon's espeacially difficult because of all the changed in gameplay as well as the time compressions, etc. Thank goodness for the little cheats in both games where you could telliport to basically right in front of the temple so you could do it all again next time through. Darn Skull kid was so nice though, placing those pads for you to wlak on so you could fight the bosses right off the bat again. So thoughtful.

Z

Zelda Granny

I personally enjoyed both games quite a bit. By the time I got MM I had beaten OOT so many times I was ready for another challenge. I liked the difference in MM although I did think it was more difficult. I have both games on my gamecube and still play them when I need a break from TP.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Really, MM's dungeons seamed to have a different feal to them than OOT did. not only were the based aorund an item you'd find in the temple (the arrow types) you also had to use what you learned so far about the different Masks, espeacially the transformation themed masks.

I think in both games, every dungeon was based around the temple item you found. In Majora's Mask, you used Deku Link for the first Temple a lot, Goron Link for the second Temple, and Zora Link for the third Temple. Mainly because they fit the surroundings. (Forest, Mountain, Water). I don't really remember the different types of arrows that well. However, I seem to recall you not using the different types of arrows AS MUCH as you use most dungeon items in their respective them.

So in a sense, Majora's Mask had 2 dungeon items, one of which was a transformation mask. While it was not really a dungeon item, it was used often enough to be considered in the same class.

In Ocarina of Time, like most games, you used the dungeon item extensively within the same dungeon you got it in, as well as against the dungeon boss.

I don't know I think it'd be fun to start out with that one. Maybe I've just played too many zelda games but even when I played OOT for the first time I passed the kid dungeons really quickly and couldn't wait to get big.

When I first got Ocarina of Time, I wasn't aware of the whole, travel through time and get older thingy. I was young back then and even though I loved the older Zelda titles, I wasn't into the whole, searching through Nintendo Power, or reading online about secrets within the game.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
It seems like I disagree with some of you people. Cause I do not mind if some of the dungeons are a bit on the easy side. What I love most about zelda games (at least thinking about 3D zeldas) is the boss fight. I want lots of dungeons not because I want the trickiest of puzzles but because I want my share of boss fights!

Regarding the two games of the topic I have not yet completed MM but this far prefer OoT because of it having more dungeons. But I may change my mind in the future (and I do actually really like MM) :)

Last edited:

EponaOwns

The Real Master of Epona
I like how the dungeons progress to a higher level. I mean the deku tree was as simple as cake. I find that MM dungewons are a little bit harder than OOT

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
The emphasis on games with less dungeons is to draw them out more, typically, and make them longer. However I felt the length of Majora's Mask and OoT dungeons was about the same.

The difference was that OoT offered more dungeons, wheras MM offers more side quests(which are either fun or annoying, depending on your mood and what task).

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I like how the dungeons progress to a higher level. I mean the deku tree was as simple as cake. I find that MM dungewons are a little bit harder than OOT

Nowadays when I look back at The Great Deku Tree, I think it is a piece of cake, yet still a really fun dungeon. However, the first time playing it, 3d Zelda was brand new and I was just adjusting to my surroundings. Given the dungeon was so early in the game, it was still rather difficult. The simple puzzle solving wasn't as clear cut as it is to us Zelda vets now.

Majoras mask dungeons are way harder the oots dungeons.

I definitely agree that they are harder, but I think it is more than just difficulty. I thought all the Ocarina of Time dungeons were hard as Adult Link, (excluding the Ice Cavern, just speaking of the 5 main temples). However, I think only the Water Temple had reached the point of 'aggravating'. Everything else was just difficult that I eventually figured out and got past. The Water Temple was aggravating though.

Majora's Mask on the other hand, I thought Woodfall was an easy temple, but the other 3 major temples were all rather difficult. Each of them, especially the Great Bay Temple and Stone Tower Temple were very aggravating for me. To the point where I just put the game down and didn't feel like playing it anymore for periods of months.

Something weird is mm is a smaller game then oot but harder to beat guess you cant judge something from its size then.

Ideally we'd like the larger game + the sidequests, but I think most Zelda fans would agree that they are good substitutes. I prefer the longer games / more temples, but that is just me.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Each of them, especially the Great Bay Temple and Stone Tower Temple were very aggravating for me. To the point where I just put the game down and didn't feel like playing it anymore for periods of months.
Oh, good. I'm not alone here. Even some of the side quests got me so aggrivated I wouldn't play the game for a long time. But I even found Woodfall to be really hard.

Z

zeldafan999

i dont care how many dungeons there are but if you find out how much dungeons there are like 11 you can tell a lot of stuff is goinging to happen in the story line of the game

The life long dream of all Zelda fans, to have both. Heh.

I preferred Ocarina of Time's dungeon's myself. They seemed harder at some times than Majora's Mask dungeons, and really did take me more time to complete. I thought that they were somewhat more complex, not all dungeons, some though.

I do agree with Mases about hating the half dungeons, they did seem kind of a filler. I mean, spend like 10 minutes going through this mini dungeon just to get the Iron Boots or the Lens of Truth. I didn't really see the point in it.

G

Glided Sword

True: Ocarina of Time's dungeons were hard (through first play, ever) and got somewhat harder but there were so many of them so it was a long game.
Majora's Mask's dungeons were few but also hard.
But I prefer a lot of hard dungeons, such as Twilight Princess which had eight dungeons (in the middle) but they were all hard.
MM's dungeons were defiantly harder than OoT's.

R

Rebekah

i agree with Mases actually...

more dungeons to slowly get harder rather then a few dungeons that end up being really hard at start or at the last minute

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom