• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS Virtual Console Games Are Easy To Make!

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I want to spread the word that I dont think it's that hard to make these 3DS Virtual Console ports. We shouldn't have to pay big bucks on these games after purchasing such an expensive system, what do you think? We should raise an awareness that Nintendo could easily release all the games from the GB/C library of games, but now that they've figured out it's so easy they'll just release them slowly over time and for higher prices. They'll be able to do this because they'll have our interest. If we can debunk it now the games could be cheaper. spread the word, talk about it here, or even disagree with me. But as far as I can tell the 3DS itself is what produces the 3D effect. It's the screen that we paid for and the hardware that counts. The port simply has extra codes which apply a 3D value to the sprites and scenery, that code was already developed before the 3DS was made, they said themselves they tried a 3D GBA and they put 3D capabilities in the Gamecube. Developing these posts should be cheap since they already have all the resources they need, aside from the paperwork so purchasing them should be inexpensive for the consumer.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
It should be inexpensive in theory. But of course it won't be. Nintendo will ask the highest price that people will pay for the games. And that's okay, because your dollars don't just go into Satoru Iwata's pockets. A big chunk of the money will go into the development of new games.

Kazumi

chagy
The thing is, normally it would be incredibly cheap and basically free to put something up for download, especially an old game for something like the Virtual Console. As long as you have somewhere that you can download the thing from (e.g. the Nintendo servers), then it can easily be downloaded, installed, and placed on your system at a minimal cost. If you're familiar with the Wii Homebrew Community you'd likely know that they offer a service called the Homebrew Browser which allows you to download Homebrew games, applications, and even emulators (though not roms). Nintendo's service works the same way, except for two differences. 1) They charge you for it, obviously. 2) It costs them quite a bit of money.

You'd think that if a bunch of hackers could do this with things they made for a very minimal cost, then why is it expensive for a big, considerably more legal corporation like Nintendo (hint: It's the "considerably more legal" part). To put something on the Virtual Console, Nintendo has to have it completed re-rated by the ESRB, PEGI, or CERO. This can cost upwards of 500 dollars for an old ROM which you are making less then five bucks from. It's not particularly profitable, especially for old ridiculously obscure games. Hint: That's a very large portion of the GB/GBC library, never mind other handhelds if Nintendo every decides to add them. There also may be legal issues that can cost lots of money to sort out, or take time and money to change parts of the game (e.g. Earthbound). This can be another large cost. So overall it isn't that profitable for them to release anything other then games that they know will sell well.

So, in conclusion it may be just as easy as putting a ROM up for download which can be played with the emulator core that is in your Wii/3DS firmware, but it is more expensive then just that, making it more difficult.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I don't feel like the virtual console games will be expensive in the first place. I mean after all, the ones on the Wii aren't expensive. At least not in my mind. (But this is MY mind we're talking about...) I just don't think they're going to cost a ton of money.

They have to make an emulator, test that it works, get the game rated again, etc.

The Wii Virtual Console games aren't expensive, so I doubt Nintendo would charge more than $5 for a Gameboy color game. I think it'll be like this:

GB - $2
GBC - $5
GBA (When they put it on) - $8

It makes since because on the Wii it is:

NES- $5
SNES - $8
N64 - $10

jugglaj91

I am me....
The prices that MarioBr1 posted sound more in the range to me. Gameboy and hand held games are cheaper to begin with than a console counterpart. I just hope they keep up with this one as they let the VC on the wii slow down quite a bit. BUt I guess that is what happens when you release what everyone wants in the beginning.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
You can't really compare these games to the Wii Virtual Console games because those classic games are not 3D and because they are not the same ports, 3DS ports have 3D effects which they could potentionally use as an excuse to charge more, if games on the Wii are:

NES $5
SNES $8
N64 $10

then technically they could charge more for a 3D GBC game than a NES game, because both games are 8-bit, nearly the exact same quality and personally I think all the GBC music was way better than NES because at that point video VGM composers had had a lot more parctice making 8-bit music. Honestly I didn't know Wii VC games were so cheap to begin with, even so I'd expect it to look more like this:

GB $4-5
GBC $6-7
GBA $9-10

Also GBA games were on par with SNES so what's stoping Nintendo from charging more than $8 for a 3D version of Four Swords + A Link to the Past with better connectivity than ever before? I'm really not sure if they'll ever bring out the GBA games on the 3DS VC..

You can't really compare these games to the Wii Virtual Console games because those classic games are not 3D and because they are not the same ports, 3DS ports have 3D effects which they could potentionally use as an excuse to charge more, if games on the Wii are:

NES $5
SNES $8
N64 $10

then technically they could charge more for a 3D GBC game than a NES game, because both games are 8-bit, nearly the exact same quality and personally I think all the GBC music was way better than NES because at that point video VGM composers had had a lot more parctice making 8-bit music. Honestly I didn't know Wii VC games were so cheap to begin with, even so I'd expect it to look more like this:

GB $4-5
GBC $6-7
GBA $9-10

Also GBA games were on par with SNES so what's stoping Nintendo from charging more than $8 for a 3D version of Four Swords + A Link to the Past with better connectivity than ever before? I'm really not sure if they'll ever bring out the GBA games on the 3DS VC..

[video=youtube;pt15vDtNH9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pt15vDtNH9U#![/video]

The light next to the 3D slider that says "3D" isn't on, so it doesn't support 3D.

It would be a dumb business move for Nintendo not to add GBA games.

Look at the Wii's Virtual Console, they added Comodore 64, Arcade games, Sega Master System later, they weren't there when the Wii first launched. Heck, we could even get Virtual Boy games later on! We could also get games from non-Nintendo handhelds like the Sega Gamegear.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
To me, by looking at DSiWare Games are WiiWare game, here's what the price will look like:

GB: $5-$6
GBC: $5-$10
GBA: (If they have it, but I doubt it) $10-$15

To me, by looking at DSiWare Games are WiiWare game, here's what the price will look like:

GB: $5-$6
GBC: $5-$10

GBA: (If they have it, but I doubt it) $10-$15

$10 dollars for a Gameboy game? Not going to happen, Nintendo 64 games on Wii are $10 and are way more advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom