• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS Design Flaw

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
3DS-screen-scratches.jpg

I've noticed on all the 3DSs I've played that they have scratches on the top screen from the bottom screen. I first noticed on mine, when the screen protecters started getting lines in the grease from my fingers. it seem that these lines are scratches and are made worse by finger prints. So every time to you close your 3DS you scratch it.:cry:

I just figured I'd let you guys know so you can buy some screen-protectors. Also has this happened to any of you guys.

Last edited:

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
Well, my 3DS has been closed once without screen protectors(When it came out of the box) so I probably won't be affected. I could see them making an adjustment in future versions/revamps, though.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Actually... that looks like pressing the two halves together too hard. Or even sitting on the 3DS. The only way such a scratch can happen is if too much pressure is placed on the top screen. First off, you have to be careful of that with any handheld device. Secondly, always get screen protectors. With the 3DS you can also get a plastic cover to put on it. I'm not talking about those stupid stickers that don't do any good, I mean a complete cover for the system. This will give it some rigidity. And if any pressure is placed on the top screen, it'd instead be directed along the sides instead of directly onto the screen. I always get a cover. Try searching for a "crystal case" or something like that.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Weird, mine have always rubbed right away. i bought screen protectors but it only came with the one for the bottom screen. Every few days ill notice the lines and use a cleaning cloth and they are gone once again.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Are you sure it's not being caused by the added thickness of the screen protectors you're actually using? I mean, I trust Nintendo to better product test than I trust pelican or madcatz or some other knock off accessory brand like that, and every single person I know with a 3DS does NOT have those scratches except the jew (not a racist thing, he's the jew in our group and he gave himself that nickname), who uses screen protectors.... >_>

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Are you sure it's not being caused by the added thickness of the screen protectors you're actually using? I mean, I trust Nintendo to better product test than I trust pelican or madcatz or some other knock off accessory brand like that, and every single person I know with a 3DS does NOT have those scratches except the jew (not a racist thing, he's the jew in our group and he gave himself that nickname), who uses screen protectors.... >_>
Though there should be enough room. There are pads on the sides that cushion the top screen that give them more than enough room. As I said in my previous post, it looks like it's from putting too much pressure on the center of the top screen. Perhaps from accidentally sitting on it, pressure from being in a pocket, or using too much force to close it. Best solution is using one of those cases I mentioned. You can see a few here.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Just to throw my two pence in.

I don't necessarily have scratches on my screen but there were distinct lines, although they did seem to wipe away with a glasses cloth, needless to say I don't have protectors on my 3DS nor have I really used it. It's simply been sitting in a case on a shelf. It does seem as though the lines are being created from the lower screens rim.

It seems to be a common problem. Some people have suggested changing the bumpers, others keep a cloth in between the two screens.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Just to throw my two pence in.

I don't necessarily have scratches on my screen but there were distinct lines, although they did seem to wipe away with a glasses cloth, needless to say I don't have protectors on my 3DS nor have I really used it. It's simply been sitting in a case on a shelf. It does seem as though the lines are being created from the lower screens rim.

It seems to be a common problem. Some people have suggested changing the bumpers, others keep a cloth in between the two screens.
Ah, yeah. That reminds me. Mine gets a circle on the top right where the circle pad matches up. It wipes away of course. But every time I leave it closed it gets it. Perhaps all of these issues actually does mean they're too close together. I suppose the next 3DS design will be a little more streamlined without that issue.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Are you sure this isn't just for you? This isn't some kind of thing you can say is universal without a universal consensus.

I did my research, there are quite a few people that mentioned it on other websites, it starts with the lines, but it will start to scratch if you don't clean it with a cleaning cloth or something like one. It is more frequently seen by people who keep their 3DS in a pocket or tight fitting case.

Here is a forum I just found and a lot of people are noticing permanents on the top screen
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430287

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom