• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword SS. Why So Much Hate?

Salem

SICK
Believe me, you'll be seeing me defend A Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U a lot when they come out, as well. It's an inevitability, given how picky the Zelda fanbase is.
Doesn't picky imply the fanbase is ONE person or very small localised group of people? I don't have a point with this, just wanted to throw it out there.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I thought that was really annoying, but it was part of the combat in SS.

Because once you get into a standing battle, it's waving your wand around to find the "weakpoint" of the enemy...yet the enemy keeps switching stances on the fly. It's annoying - not dangerous - unless you're going against something like a Lizalfos or a Stalfos.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Because once you get into a standing battle, it's waving your wand around to find the "weakpoint" of the enemy...yet the enemy keeps switching stances on the fly. It's annoying - not dangerous - unless you're going against something like a Lizalfos or a Stalfos.

Except you don't have to do that. It's very wise to do if you're getting used to the combat, but once you get into the swing of things, you should be able to land hits on basic foes like Bokoblins on the first swing through your reading and reacting skills. I thought we'd been over this before?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Except you don't have to do that. It's very wise to do if you're getting used to the combat, but once you get into the swing of things, you should be able to land hits on basic foes like Bokoblins on the first swing through your reading and reacting skills. I thought we'd been over this before?

"Because once you get into a standing battle"

Basic foes like Bokoblins are easily to dispatch; you can run up to them and jump slash, you can spin attack (sometimes they block it), you can waggle (almost always works), hell you can even use items if they're dumb enough to sit around. One might want to watch out for Technoblins, though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
"Because once you get into a standing battle"

Basic foes like Bokoblins are easily to dispatch; you can run up to them and jump slash, you can spin attack (sometimes they block it), you can waggle (almost always works), hell you can even use items if they're dumb enough to sit around. One might want to watch out for Technoblins, though.

Wait, wait, what was that? Basic foes? Ohhh, right, you mean exactly what I said. Basic. As in cannon fodder, the grunts of the enemy forces -- foes that are SUPPOSED to be easy. So, then... why the fuss? Especially when they're significant steps up from their GameCube predecessors.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So, then... why the fuss?
The fuss came from this:
Motion controls slowed down combat
Because those annoying bokoblins keeps blocking your(aka mine lol) attacks? I thought that was really annoying, but it was part of the combat in SS.
In retrospect, all of what I said really made no sense. ;p

If a bokoblin is blocking your spin attack, you're doing it wrong.
LOL.I don't know why I found that funny but I did ;p

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
What I hated was that there's a bokoblin. And another bokoblin. And another. And another. Again. One more. Oh look a blue one! And another one.

Was a podgy, not-menacing-at-all enemy that only differs because it comes in different colours really the best thing that Nintendo could come up with? The boring backtracking through the same areas could have been waaay better if there were different enemies, but it was all damn bokoblins!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
What I hated was that there's a bokoblin. And another bokoblin. And another. And another. Again. One more. Oh look a blue one! And another one.

Was a podgy, not-menacing-at-all enemy that only differs because it comes in different colours really the best thing that Nintendo could come up with? The boring backtracking through the same areas could have been waaay better if there were different enemies, but it was all damn bokoblins!

Though I absolutely despised the Bokoblins in Skyward Sword, you're wrong on this one. Not only were they diverse in color, they were also diverse in weapons, speed, and even clothing. You have archers, Bokoblins that wield clubs, machetes, and even high-tech weaponry. Not only that, but you also have Bokoblins that try to suck the life out of you. Were they quite possibly some of the worst enemies in the franchise? Sure. Did they only differ in color? Absolutely not.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

In addition to what Atticus said (except for the Bokoblins being bad part ;)), there WERE different enemies during the backtracking segments. New enemy types were added in amongst stronger versions of previously-seen ones, the latter of which were also seen in larger numbers -- very reminiscent of the Metroid franchise, actually, which is one of the coolest things about the game if you ask me.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Though I absolutely despised the Bokoblins in Skyward Sword, you're wrong on this one. Not only were they diverse in color, they were also diverse in weapons, speed, and even clothing. You have archers, Bokoblins that wield clubs, machetes, and even high-tech weaponry. Not only that, but you also have Bokoblins that try to suck the life out of you. Were they quite possibly some of the worst enemies in the franchise? Sure. Did they only differ in color? Absolutely not.

Oh I know, and in hindsight of my comment the cursed bokoblins that back off from the sacred shield were pretty cool, I forgot about them. I said this in order to emphasise my point about how often they pop up, and that it would have been so much better if there were more completely different enemies in the 3 regions. As it is there aren't many.

Salem

SICK
Oh I know, and in hindsight of my comment the cursed bokoblins that back off from the sacred shield were pretty cool, I forgot about them. I said this in order to emphasise my point about how often they pop up, and that it would have been so much better if there were more completely different enemies in the 3 regions. As it is there aren't many.
Completely different enemies doesn't guarantee that they will function differently than the bokoblins. I have a feeling that they COULDN'T come up with different enemies therefore they simply gave us bokoblins that function slightly different, honestly I find that cool.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Completely different enemies doesn't guarantee that they will function differently than the bokoblins. I have a feeling that they COULDN'T come up with different enemies therefore they simply gave us bokoblins that function slightly different, honestly I find that cool.

I doubt that. Twilight Princess saw over 70 different types of enemies, if I'm not mistaken, so it's not like Nintendo is incompetent with monster design. However, the reason it had so many was because they focused on enemy variety. In Skyward Sword, they focused more on enemy depth. If you're not sure what I mean by that, I'll explain.

Prior to Skyward Sword, Nintendo always focused on having a relatively large amount of different enemy types that generally required one or two specific methods to be defeated. Enemies were pretty one-dimensional, but that was made up for in the sheer amount of different types. However, in SS, they focused on fleshing out each enemy type's mechanics and abilities so that encounters with them were more dynamic, as well as increasing the ways they could be approached.

It's not that they couldn't come up with anything else, it's that they didn't WANT to. They wanted to make sure the more dynamic swordplay wasn't wasted, so they went with a smaller amount of enemy types than usual, but in turn, made them more advanced than usual. So even though there were less enemies than in past games, with the exception of The Wind Waker -- which I find weird, since that game didn't focus on enemy depth... although I guess it doesn't matter regarding this topic, either -- the game made up for it in the amount of choice that was made available in the combat. In other words, the polar opposite of what Twilight Princess (and most other Zelda games) did.

...All of which basically means Nintendo didn't run out of ideas.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

It doesn't matter. It's still a Bokoblin at its core, and it doesn't change the soul of the enemy. They're easy to dispatch as ever, even the Blue ones. Now, a Moblin is very different from a Bokoblin and requires a very different strategy; not just upping your speed, but playing against the foe differently. Had Moblins replaced Bokoblins in many areas - perhaps in Hero Mode, even - I think people would complain a lot less about Bokoblins specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom