• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda Stay Medieval?

Should Zelda stay Medieval?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I know I made a thread like this, but I see people enjoying the concept of the train in Spirit Tracks and now I am wondering.

Would you really want Zelda to leave it's medieval roots?

I myself have no interests in going past Medieval roots, that train is a sign of Western and I hope we don't go past a train.

linkman8

True and Noble
To be honest, I'm willing to accept change, as long as it's not too drastic. If they were to all of a sudden introduce a futuristic Zelda, I'm not so sure I'd be able to accept the change, but small changes like trains are not that huge. Though I do agree that they're a part of the modernization of Zelda.
Ultimately though, I would agree that we should try to stick to our medieval roots in Zelda, because that's where it started and that's where it was at its best.

Yes, I will accept the train but I definitely think that's as far as they should go. Zelda's been medieval ever since they first game, and although I'm willing to accept it change this time around, that doesn't mean they should keep going further with technology. I'll be quite disappointed if they ever do.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
if they do start becoming more modernized i think the farthest they will go is stuff like maybe having a zeppelin and maybe some like minor technology like stuff in the wild west. in fact, i feel that the closest to modern times they would get is the wild west (but without guns). i could totally see a wild west Zelda game in the future.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Honestly, I think a steampunk Zelda would be pretty cool. I'm growing kind of tired of the medieval theme myself. At this point, I would embrace it.

DCMN

Hero of Internet
I wouldn't mind a gradual evolution towards modern times, but anything past steam is something I wouldn't like to see for a while.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I still like the medieval setting, but it can be a bit of a warped medieval setting that has some more modern elements involved. If they do it slowly, I don't mind introducing a bit of technology here and there like steam powered transport. It still has to fit the Zelda world. I see they might make it more Steampunk before they make it modern.

This kind of ties in with another recent thread, but they've been slowly introducing new technology in the games, and sometimes I don't think we've even noticed. I mentioned in the shoutbox the other day about how TP had a bazooka in it, and no one really seemed to remember it. It had cannons as well, and of course, there was the whole spinner / gear system too. That one seemed to get a bit of attention, but the bazooka used by Auru at Hyrule Castle went unnoticed by most. If they do it in a clever enough manner such as this, I think we'll get used to it.

I think they have to draw the line at how advanced they get. I don't want them to grow too far past the medieval setting, or it might lose it's Zelda charm. If they really pushed it into the Industrial Age, I don't know how I'd feel. I suppose it would depend on just how far they push into it.

I REALLY don't know how I'd feel about playing a Zelda where you enter the concrete canyons of Kakariko City riding your E-PoN.A brand motorcycle with your Master Lightsaber in hand...

Kybyrian

I don't think that Zelda should stay entirely medieval, no. As we can see, Zelda is beginning to modernize a bit with its trains and everything, but as long as it doesn't jump forward in a small amount of time, or games in this matter, I'm okay with change. I'm up to the idea of seeing it slightly modernize a bit more every game instead of having the same old medieval theme over and over again.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I would want it to stay medieval if I could choose. I believe changes could be made even if it stayed that way. I have no problems with trains though, looks fun, but what would I say if he (Link) stepped into a car? I would feel confused I guess. Maybe it would be fun with a futuristic Zelda a la Metroid style, a game in which Link travelled around the galaxies in a space ship?

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Well, there is a train, but don't forget we've still got the castle and the princess. Link still fights with a sword and shield. To me, this still looks like a fairly medieval game, just with a choo choo twain.

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
I for one think that they should go into the VIctorian ages. A Link in a top hat and a monocle would be a grand sight, indeed. And a VIctorian Zelda with a white and black set of stockings would be ubercute.

I'm kidding.

Yes, Zelda should stay medeivel.

Amelie

Air Dancer
I am a little uncomfortable with such a big change.. I mean.. I know we have a steam boat and a steam train now. But Link is not carrying around guns and shooting people so it is still midevilish to me. I cant say I wont like a more modern Zelda.. if Nintendo did it right.. it could be really really good.. but for now I have to say I would like it to stay more mid evil then anything else for now ^^

I think that it should stay medieval, The boat I did not mind because that is kind of realistic but steam trains did not appear much until a couple of centurys ago and I always though of LoZ as much older than that. I think that I will stop playing it if it gets any more advanced, I even thought the Crossbow was a bit much for it, I dont know though if it is that I like Zelda like that or I prefer wars with Sword, Shields Bows and other weapons like Pikes.

Also Basement24, I do remember the Bazooka but it was loaded with one of Barnes Bombes and was probably a spring loaded weapon

Claire

The Geekette
I'm more concerned with the fantasy, rather than the characteristics of the game remaining similar to the medieval era. I do think that it is fully possible for the Legend of Zelda team to incorporate modern qualities into a game, and keep the fantasy alive.

They have managed to apply more traits into the series that causes it to advance, and it has advanced quite rapidly. After all, Nintendo has been able to have series that are very popular that rely on fantasy and recent times, for instance, PokeMon. We can see computers and all sorts of technology, but we still have the fantasy involved in the "real world", which I think is more than possible for the future of the Legend of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom